RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

Monaco/HR Front Cap Structural issue - Windshield Problems

As you may be aware, there are numerous threads regarding windshield cracking/breaking/popping, etc and I have attempted to read all that I can find. I would like to focus on the "known" structural issue that affects the mid-2000 year models and the "Halo Kit" or similar fix that has been applied to attempt to address the problem. I have just had my second windshield installed within the last 3 months and after talking to the tech guys in Oregon, I expect to continue having problems unless I get "the fix". First off, I would like to better understand the problem in terms that I can understand and secondly, would like to communicate with folks that have actually had the structural issue corrected. The Oregon tech guys have been very helpful to-date but I would also like to hear from some RVers with first hand knowledge. Any comments would be appreciated.......thx - Bryan

Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My factory windshield was replace after 2 years old. Then it started popping out after about a year at the top right corner. I would beat on it, pull the rubber over the edge, beat on it some more to I finally worked it back in. This was an ongoing pain in the but for a year.

My front cap would shift side to side at the top, squeaking like crazy. The MCD shade would be out of square and then back into square. As Monaco made halo kits for my year to correct such a problem, I thought I needed more substantial structure up front. I added a aluminum square tubing that reached from sidewall to sidewall and was bolted to sidewall frames and existing front frame. I added more fasteners to the existing cabinets. All to no avail.

Then my windshield was nailed with another rock. As I had used RV Glass Solutions in Oregon 15 years previously on another coach, I called them for their input. They were very familiar with the Monaco brand and their windshield issues. And, RV Glass had a warehouse in Phoenix, that did installations.

Mark from RV Glass Solutions came to my house and we talked it over. He said I had no structural issues and just needed a proper installation. I did't have a good feeling at this point. He and his assistant removed the old windshield, cleaned the fiberglass with 3M pads on a grinder, installed a new gasket, and then the windshield. And,4 hours later, it fit all the way around. He then urethaned the gasket to the clean fiberglass and then the gasket to the windshield.

I was amazed. No more squeaks, and, the uneven surfaces that popped out the old windshield were no longer a problem. He was right. He also related to me many stories like my own.

Mark was a former production manager at Country Coach and thoroughly understood coach construction. The front windshield is an integral structural part of the front cap and has to be properly installed. Like I already said, he was right. I've had no more issue and am no longer shy when I have drive into an uneven entrance way.

If you are headed to Phoenix, or Quartzsite in January, it might be worth you while to look up Mark.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
4 windshields and 100k miles later I have an idea. I pay a $500 deductable for each incident, so far i'm out $2k. The insurance companies are getting hit for around $2500 per shield and when they see a coach with high usage it should be deemed structurally unsound and the "fix" applied with assistance from the insurance provider.

Ron
Old 11-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Harry,
I stopped by RV Glass Solutions in Junction City OR last July to fix the locking bead that kept popping out of my windshield on the driver's side bottom corner. They cleaned it and glued it back in with Urethane. It has held ever since. No charge.
In talking to the owner about Monaco windshields, he told me the same thing you have said. He also said something else that surprised me. He said that this is the best windshield system out there and if properly installed, should give no trouble. Hard to swallow after reading about all about windshields cracking and popping out. There must be a bunch of coaches out there with badly installed windshields.

Roy
Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In Sept/Oct I did a 6000 mile trip and caught a rock the first week. The crack, on the passenger's side stopped growing after spreading about 12". I just waited until I returned home to have Mark replace it. Since the gasket was still bonded to the fiberglass, he only replaced the glass, gluing it in place.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
As you may be aware, there are numerous threads regarding windshield cracking/breaking/popping, etc and I have attempted to read all that I can find. I would like to focus on the "known" structural issue that affects the mid-2000 year models and the "Halo Kit" or similar fix that has been applied to attempt to address the problem. I have just had my second windshield installed within the last 3 months and after talking to the tech guys in Oregon, I expect to continue having problems unless I get "the fix". First off, I would like to better understand the problem in terms that I can understand and secondly, would like to communicate with folks that have actually had the structural issue corrected. The Oregon tech guys have been very helpful to-date but I would also like to hear from some RVers with first hand knowledge. Any comments would be appreciated.......thx - Bryan
My windshield use to pop out in the upper left corner every time I pulled into a service station or any irregular surfaced drive. After having Monaco attempt to fix it with no luck, I took it to Iron Horse RV in San Antonio Iron Horse RV they removed the windshield and resealed, and centered it in the opening it was about 1/2" off center with the opening. I haven't had a problem since. This was done about 5 years ago. I don't remember what it cost but I know it was less than $200.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Darrel at Iron Horse told me that the windshield problem is an issue with the assembly process Monaco was using to set the glass in an unsupported front cap. They put the glass in the cap then put the cap on the front of the coach. The temporary support frame was very flimsy and allowed the cap to twist and unseat the glass. He knew exactly what to do to repair it.

Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco