RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How do you find the Monaco full width mud flap in effectively protecting the toad from rocks and debris? Do you use a bra or something else for the toad. On my old gasser (no mud flap) I had a Roadmaster plastic deflector/shield (which I still have) for the front of the toad and it worked well. But if the mud flap works well I won't bother lugging it up to Eugene when I pick up the new Camelot.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
How do you find the Monaco full width mud flap in effectively protecting the toad from rocks and debris? Do you use a bra or something else for the toad. On my old gasser (no mud flap) I had a Roadmaster plastic deflector/shield (which I still have) for the front of the toad and it worked well. But if the mud flap works well I won't bother lugging it up to Eugene when I pick up the new Camelot.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Use your plastic defector/shield with the flap, more is better.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Blue Ox Underskirt.

Only problem is, I have not yet figured out how to secure it to the front bumper of my Ford Ranger.

I figured I would get around to it once the rain stops for the year.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Duffy's Dad,
We have a bra that goes from the bumper and up over the top of the front window. Deffinately use your shield.

I was told that those cool full mud flaps could also kick up rocks and pebbles when they hit the ground during bad bumps, especially in contruction areas. I've been tempted to leave the bra off but just can't quite let myself do it. I will tell you that I don't have any rock chips on my toad's windshield, even after going down the Alaskan Highway.
Good luck,

AKBrick
Old 03-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Presently we only have the mud flap which seems to drag over everything! We have a new CRV which to date has no scratches dents or chips after 2000 miles but I will tell you I find rocks - some as big as 1/4 " sitting on the wipers when we stop. (they come from somewhere!) We will be getting something for the car.
FishBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to add a little addendum to my last post.

Actually our car protection set-up is in two different pieces. 1st the bra, which covers the bumper and grill area. 2cnd, the windshield cover, which goes from the front lip of the car's hood, back up and to the top of the windshield.

You take off the hood/windshield protector and leave the bra on when your done towing. Oh yeah, I forgot that there is another part of the bra when the hood/windshield protector is taken off. There is a small front hood lip cover that we put on just for "looks" that came with the whole shebang. It gives the front a more completed look because it matches the bra.

When we bought the Saturn Vue, the dealer had these in stock, as well as the whole Blue Ox set-up and GM bike rack. We were able to put the whole thing on the same bill as the car at zero percent interest. Hee Hee, just thought I'd throw that in. Thay also set up the toad for towing. The word "Saturn" is embossed on the bra.

That was one of our best decisions we made for fulltiming.
Later Dudes and Dudettes,

AKBrick
Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I use the Roadmaster Guardian Rock Shield along with the Roadmaster Tow Defender to protect my Toad and so far its been great. Nothing can come up from the back of the coach because of the Defender. and the Guardian is just added insurance.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #9

We have the solid mudflap mounted rigidly directly beneath the hitch. It is somewhat effective but we have additional protection for our toad.

While driving in the rain beside another class A with a toad, I could see that the spray and any sand or small rocks were going under the mudflap and being lifted straight up the rear of the coach. There is a zone of low pressure air created at the rear as we drive our brick down the highway.

Based on that observation we went with a Protect-A-Tow (available online) from Canada. It is a flexable screen that is stretched between the rear of the coach and front of the toad. We have used it from Alaska to Mexico and have no chips on the front of the toad or in its windshield. Some spray still finds its way through the screen but no solids.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have the same system as twojacks except my skirt is made by blue ox. I've used over 50,000 miles with no chips. It takes about 30 seconds to hook up and stays on the motorhome when not in use. Very simple and quick to use. No comments on Flyer and TwoJacks wear skirts.