Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #1

Monaco parts / after market parts

Hello Monaco owners. My first post here so I'll try to get right to the point.

I'm looking at purchasing a 2002 Monaco Signature which appears to be in very good condition. I know of two components which will need repair so I called the Monaco parts center (REV) to see if the parts were available. Unfortunately, I can't get the parts through them so I'm wondering what my options are if any. I'm also wondering if buying this older coach is a bad investment if the parts are going to be hard to come by?

I would really appreciate you sharing your experience and advice in sourcing parts for the older Monaco coaches.

If it helps, the two parts I'm after include the electric toilet and the electric blind over the kitchen table.

Thanks
-John
JMonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You could just buy a manual toilet and change the blinds into manual operation.
But there are guys on here that know how to fix both. Those were very well built coaches.
Tim
Old 05-11-2022, 02:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
You could just buy a manual toilet and change the blinds into manual operation.
But there are guys on here that know how to fix both. Those were very well built coaches.
Tim
Thanks Tim, any chance you might have contacts or suggestions for finding folks able to repair electronic blinds. I'm guessing the toilet is more of a common item.

I would be aiming to keep the high end items in the coach as authentic as possible. I feel switching to manual blinds would begin lowering its image / value.

Thanks
-John
Old 05-11-2022, 02:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You can do a search on a youtube channel called (AZtech) he has a ton of videos on how to fix things. Or just post here for a manufacture of a replacement.
Tim
Old 05-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
All RV's are made from various vendor parts. Unfortunately, several RV manufacturers as well as parts manufacturers did not survive the 2008 recession.
However, when there is a market for parts or services someone will usually rise up to the occasion.

This 2002 Monaco Signature should have a Sealand Magnum Opus electric flush toilet. Sealand was so successful that Dometic bought them out and then discontinued the line. Fortunately for us, one of our IRV members (PWhittle) has reverse engineered the control board and offers replacements for sale.
It's a 15 min repair.

One of my electric blinds also failed. Some folks have been successful in replacing just the 12v motor I just replaced the entire blind with a new unit. It was about a 15 min repair.

Almost everything you need is available but you will need help/advice from the IRV2 forum members. It will really help if you are willing to do the work yourself as another issue is finding skilled RV technicians.
I should add that the two items you mentioned are only the beginning. There will probably be many more items needing update or repair.

Lastly, the Monaco Signature was the top of the line coach built by the (then) world's largest RV manufacture and they used the best parts in the industry. Faucets from Grohe in Germany, shower enclosures from Italy, the Roadmaster 10 outboard airbag chassis with 10 shocks, Cummins 500hp engines standard, forged steel door hinges from Eric Morris in OH, and on and on.
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #6

Not to scare you from a fine coach. Have rear sub frame support welds around rear axles checked for cracking. Any repairs are best caught early. Not after purchase if repair needs to be negotiated not price.I'm not 100% sure of the exact years cracks occurred on. Issue was repairable some small gusset added you can find posts and pics here.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Not to scare you from a fine coach. Have rear sub frame support welds around rear axles checked for cracking. Any repairs are best caught early. Not after purchase if repair needs to be negotiated not price.I'm not 100% sure of the exact years cracks occurred on. Issue was repairable some small gusset added you can find posts and pics here.
Thanks for this valuable information! I'll need to look for any cracks and also search the forum for anyone who may have posted images for further details.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Great resources here. I would also suggest you join Bill D's Monacoers forum.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
All RV's are made from various vendor parts. Unfortunately, several RV manufacturers as well as parts manufacturers did not survive the 2008 recession.
However, when there is a market for parts or services someone will usually rise up to the occasion.

This 2002 Monaco Signature should have a Sealand Magnum Opus electric flush toilet. Sealand was so successful that Dometic bought them out and then discontinued the line. Fortunately for us, one of our IRV members (PWhittle) has reverse engineered the control board and offers replacements for sale.
It's a 15 min repair.

One of my electric blinds also failed. Some folks have been successful in replacing just the 12v motor I just replaced the entire blind with a new unit. It was about a 15 min repair.

Almost everything you need is available but you will need help/advice from the IRV2 forum members. It will really help if you are willing to do the work yourself as another issue is finding skilled RV technicians.
I should add that the two items you mentioned are only the beginning. There will probably be many more items needing update or repair.

Lastly, the Monaco Signature was the top of the line coach built by the (then) world's largest RV manufacture and they used the best parts in the industry. Faucets from Grohe in Germany, shower enclosures from Italy, the Roadmaster 10 outboard airbag chassis with 10 shocks, Cummins 500hp engines standard, forged steel door hinges from Eric Morris in OH, and on and on.
Hope this helps.

Vito.a, thank you for this detailed information. If I complete the purchase, I'll be sure to reach out for your guidance on the window blind repair. I submitted a support request on the Dometic website requested their recommendation for a replacement toilet. I'll see what they come back with. I'll also search the forum for others who've already replaced their toilets.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #10
YC1

Everything in the Coach is replaceable or repairable.

You need to be handy with tools, a voltmeter, and a checkbook.

Electric toilets should be very easy to replace. MCD shades I believe is a leader in shades.

It's like remodeling a home.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Most of all, if you buy it, use it and enjoy life.
Tim
Old 05-11-2022, 07:49 PM   #12

If it's just the board in Sealand Magnum Opus get the board mentioned its hard to beat a near exact home porcelain potty and they are not cheap. Some parts are available one in green are links at least this exact model I'm not that familiar to make an order based on info I read .
https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.c...num-opus-3048/
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Sealand Toilet circuit board replacement. See post # 18:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sea...-470493-2.html

Carefree power shade replacement: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sun...de-480081.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:12 PM   #14

Fantastic advice and resource links from everyone.
Thank You!

Tags
monaco, parts