Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

Monaco Parts made of Gold!

Most OEM mfrs. charge a lot for their parts. Monaco was never cheap but the Old Monaco sold me a lot of parts at OK prices. The new guys are crazy. Parts that anyone can source for say $100 are $800 or more. Independent shops have told me they buy nothing from Monaco unless it is an emergency.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, a couple of thoughts come to mind on this.

If the part is worth $100.00 and Monaco quotes $800.00 for that same part, then Monaco is looking for a way to not have to be bothered about supplying that part. A ridiculous price is one way to do that.

The other thought is one that I don't really believe, but it is a thought. If Monaco really does have to get $800.00 for that part, it could mean they can't make the parts division of their business work unless they force those levels of profit on individual parts sales.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
or just supply and demand at work maybe ?

They are the only supply, so until someone else makes that part, they demand mo money
Old 10-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You're probably right about it being a supply-and-demand issue, but it sure seems like the table is tilted against us sometimes.

I've been told more than once that: "Since you can afford a motorhome (or 'boat' or 'airplane') you can obviously afford the cost of the parts". What they don't understand is that owning them is the reason I CAN'T afford the cost of the crazy parts markups! And I'm in all 3 of those driver-seats.

Several years ago, the alternator went out in our '06 Endeavor and we needed to positively-absolutely-must-had to get to a certain destination in a certain time. Called the old Monaco and they had it for $700+ overnited. Called a shop outside Coburg who was reputed to be the OEM for Monaco and their price was just under $400 overnited, so I told them to go-ahead and ship it. Then went to a truck-stop right next to where we were staying for the nite and asked if they could put on the alternator when it came in (I had no tools that trip). Guy said "Sure, what engine do you have?", and when I told him he said "We got one in stock for $250 and can install it right now". Cancelled the $400 one and got it there. Pressed out the diodes and I now have a spare (that will never fail now).

Yeah, we got neon (excuse me, it's now: LED) dollar signs over our heads to a lot of people. It pays to shop around and find the same thing elsewhere... if possible.

(And I won't bore you with the story about my 4-figure $$ airplane starter that crossed EXACTLY to a $100 Ford truck starter!)
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #5

I guess its the part your after. Chassis things we start with Cummins then source the part. Some other things have been super reasonable. Need a light component for the water pump switch. When I called Monaco for the part number they not only sent me all those part numbers for our coach but quoted me a price. At $5 and change it isn't worth my time to go digging around the internet for it
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought I needed a slide motor for our '02 DSDP. No one but Newmar could sell it so I found a Newmar dealer in FL that had one on eBay for about $400 (over $500 from Newmar). Ordered it, it came in a Newmar box direct from Nappanee. So Newmar made something, the dealer made something and I save a hundred $ or so.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
That is the price Monaco will charge and get for those that do not do their own research to find the original source of the part. I owned a Travel Supreme that went orphaned. Never had a problem finding parts from the manufactures and their suppliers.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

I don't think you have to deal with Monaco for most of the parts, for my old 2003 anyway.

The house part of the MH is like any other MH, nothing special for those. Body parts can be repaired but it could be Monaco only if you really need one.

Suspension, air bags, brakes, alternator, starter, hoses, lines, tires, muffler, so on, can be purchase anywhere, or rebuilt anywhere. I had my alternator rebuilt for 70 dollars. Radiators can be rebuilt by any good rad specialty shop, mine where rebuilt, nothing to do with Monaco. Even my start key is a GM key.

Cummins or any engine have many parts that can be purchased at Cummins or at a big rig shop, again, nothing to do with Monaco.

Go to specialty shop for what you need, do not get all your repair done at one place only. I am skeptic about places that does it all, jack of all trade, they often know some about everything , but not much in depth about anything, and they often charge an arm and a leg.

One thing I learned is if you want to do many things at one place, it is very hard to see how much they charged for every item, everything is hidden within everything. They will take more time in between every job. Get one quote for one job and get it done, never have an open bill.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Really no different than The price Kwickee wanted for a step motor. Did my homework and got one at autozone for less than half.
Dan Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yes Dan a Ford window motor.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

If you find a good electrical rebuilt shop, like a starter and generator rebuilt shop, they will rebuilt just about anything. Sometimes for electrical motor all you need is a good cleaning job.

There are many many parts of a MH that are just a bunch of pieces from someone else put together.

Tags
monaco, parts