Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Monaco Question on shocks

Hello all
Getting ready to spring for new shocks and am uncomfortable on the Koni info I've found so far so here's the deal we have a 2004 Monaco Diplomat 40' Roadmaster Frame 4 slides and an unbearable ride at times. I'm looking at
Bilsteins
24-186612 rear
24-186605 front

Koni
8805-1017 rear
88005-1016 front
I'm not impressed with the information I've gathered and am asking for verification on the part numbers and feel Koni"s are the best out there? No time for mistakes.

Not concerned about cost we want a better ride and this will be the first part of the suspension upgrade. Some of the freeway pot holes feel like the coach is falling apart.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #2

I just put 4 koni shocks on my rig in march. Got 6000 miles on them and I'm very pleased. A considerable difference the first mile down the road. Ive had Bilsteins before and will never go back. This just my opinion. Happy travels
Old 12-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Jpiland;5545325]I just put 4 koni shocks on my rig in march. Got 6000 miles on them and I'm very pleased. A considerable difference the first mile down the road. Ive had Bilsteins before and will never go back. This just my opinion. Happy travels [/QUOT

Is it possible for you to verify that the item part numbers are correct for the Koni's????

Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-05-2020, 04:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Hello all
Getting ready to spring for new shocks and am uncomfortable on the Koni info I've found so far so here's the deal we have a 2004 Monaco Diplomat 40' Roadmaster Frame 4 slides and an unbearable ride at times. I'm looking at
Bilsteins
24-186612 rear
24-186605 front

Koni
8805-1017 rear
88005-1016 front
I'm not impressed with the information I've gathered and am asking for verification on the part numbers and feel Koni"s are the best out there? No time for mistakes.

Not concerned about cost we want a better ride and this will be the first part of the suspension upgrade. Some of the freeway pot holes feel like the coach is falling apart.

Thanks in advance
I have experience with Monroe, Bilsteins, and Koni FSD shocks on our coach and would recommend the Koni FSD. Make sure they are FSD because Koni makes several types. If your 04 is anything like my 06 all the shocks front and back will have the eyelet at the bottom and the straight shaft at the top. The top can be a bitch sometimes to get to and remove or replace the nut. A Gear Wrench can be helpful as well as Vise grips with the chain to hold the shock body from turning. On our coach the side panels on the rear will raise up exposing the top of the shocks and the air bags. Makes replacing the rears a little easier. The right front on ours can not be raised up and the left front is very difficult so I have always replaced the fronts by crawling underneath. Make sure you raise the jacks all the way up and then put blocks under them. That will keep the coach from crushing you if an air line breaks or for some reason the air bags dump rapidly.

As far as ride goes shocks don't help much but the wrong shock can make the ride much worse. Stay away from stiff shocks and use either Monroe or Koni FSD for the best ride. I have found the thing that affects the ride the most on the straight axle coach is the ride height. If the ride height is off even as little as 1/2 inch it will affect the ride. Make sure your ride height is dead on for the best ride. Make some wooden dowels to measure the ride height. The rear will be different from the front and you will need two different lengths. Hold the dowel up against the air bag checking the distance between the top and bottom plate. You must have the coach parked on a level pad to adjust the ride height.

Another very important thing when trying to achieve the best ride is the air pressure in the tires. Use only Load Range H or higher tires on your coach and get the coach weighed so you know the weight on the front and rear axle. Check the tire manufacture load chart for your tire and use the least amount of air pressure allowed for the weight on the axle. Tire shops will always put too much air in your tires. They usual put 100 PSI or the max on the side wall which is often 110 or 120 PSI. The tire will perform better if the air pressure is related to the load. Tire shops always play it safe and put the most air in the tire they can.

I have owned our coach for 13 years and have spent a lot of time and money on trying to improve the ride. The ride is the only thing I don't like about our coach. Currently I have the ride the best it has every been and can live with it. I used to have tag axle envy but not anymore. Our coach handles extremely well, even in the wind. It took years to get it there not to mention a few dollars.

Good luck,

PS our shocks are Front 88051016 and Rear 88051017.
Be sure to save your receipt in a safe place where you can find it years down the road. After about 75K miles our Koni's needed to be replaced. I took them off and followed Koni's instructions to send them in for warranty replacement. They tested them and sent me new shocks free of charge.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Bilstein numbers you listed will work, as long as your chassis uses shocks with the eye hole on the bottom, and pin on the top.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to use Bilstein shocks on the rear and Koni shocks on the front. The Koni shocks are double the price and do not wear as well as the Bilstein.
I think that big heavy differential in the rear needs a stronger gas charged shock like the Bilstein (one of my original Bilstein rear shocks broke the mount). Koni shocks on the front will help reduce the jolt on bridge abutments.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Hello all
Bilsteins
24-186612 rear
24-186605 front

Koni
8805-1017 rear
88005-1016 front

Thanks in advance
Contact source engineering in OR. Not only are they Monaco experts, but suspension experts as well. They can sell you what you need.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #8

Source Eng.sells specially tuned Bilsteins for roadmaster chassis. But I haven't read any reviews on them here that I remember.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Source Eng.sells specially tuned Bilsteins for roadmaster chassis. But I haven't read any reviews on them here that I remember.
Contact Jim there at Source. Huge wealth of information. He's not just trying to sell stuff. He use to work at Monaco. I've bought bought a ton of stuff from him: trailing arms, air bags, shocks, engine fan, over flow bottle and getting ready to buy a kit to raise the rear of my coach 3 inches on demand, when descending my driveway to the street. Tired of asking my son to help and laying wood down. I'd rather have a button to press.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #10

Thank You

I want to thank all or you for the advice and in formation which is greatly appreciated!
Our first big trip will be Quartzite Jan 28 headed to Tews and break the side by side in.

Jeff, Julie, Gunner and Bella.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:23 AM   #11

Shocks

I installed the Bilstein shocks a couple of years ago right after purchasing my HR endeavor. I have the roadmaster chassis with eight airbags and eight shocks. Double check your numbers but those look just about right .

I am really pleased with the ride that we get from the Bilsteins, nice and smooth! The roadmaster chassis design is definitely thinking outside the box with some really innovative thinking.

I have used Billsteins on the last two motor homes and have been very pleased with the ride on both motor homes.

Rv safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #12

Thank You Great News

I located the Koni shocks and ordered for the front and rear at 160.00 each lifetime warranty.
Brazel's RV in Chehalis Wa.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jeff

Tags
monaco, shocks