Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kieffer View Post
...one of my nieces is making a 6 figure income by Tweeting and posting comments on the internet for a variety of manufacturers.
Steve - only ONE of your nieces?

Folks, corporate tweeting/posting/blogging (a.k.a. corporate boasting) is a HUGE business (and not just since the internet). Just one look in Craigslist classifieds will give you a feel for it. Every conceivable (and some not conceivable) machination of this pay-for-praise industry is being digitally exploited. Even numerous newspaper reports on "dream jobs just blog for us" where companies will set you up with some luxury digs or the like if you blog for them and the list goes on and on.

In the pre-internet days "paid endorsement" or "paid actor" were the giveaways that it was being done. Today, paid/sponsored tweeting/blogging are much more subtle and much more rampant. It's all in plain sight.

I can't say specifically if Monaco/parent/advertiser is doing it or not. I don't have an opinion if it is a good/bad thing - it just simply exists. As it always has. Just much bigger.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Not Bought, But For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
traps90: My post was not aimed at you personally...
'Hope my own oft-publicized Monaco aspirations weren't suspect. Navistar nor Monaco pay me a cent.

But, with my employer doing its tactical bankruptcy thing, I can definitely be bought!

Seriously, we've just liked the pre-2010 Monacos we've looked at and driven, the owners seem to have a strong bond. Country Coaches are much the same way; but, I don't want to spend the add'l $50K for one of those beautiful rigs.

Our Fleetwood is just fine, and may have to last us for years to come; but, when the time comes, I want a Camelot 42 KFQ for its unique features and nice ride.

With the Tour having been on our pre-bankruptcy short list, I'm wondering what the Winnebago owner with similar Monaco hopes thinks...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Trap: Who is the dealer in calgary. Back in 06 we were thinking of buying from Guarantee in Calgary. Not only did they use a false exchange rate they added in some sort of markup fee ( not shown but included.) Tha fee was about $15,000.an RV'r.
Sorry, almost missed this part. Guarantee is who I've been dealing with so far, but at least it has given us the oppurtunity to have a good look at it, and test drive it too!

When the time comes I will give them an offer that they can either take it or we'll be heading south. As I said it will be interesting to see what happens, for us it won't make much difference cause we'll be down south for 6 months of the year anyways.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Traps have you checked out the dealer in High River?? They are a Monaco dealer I believe their name is something like High River Autoplex & RV. They had a large inventory when we were there in Nov. Also we bought our used Windsor from Westgate RV in Kelowna and they were great to deal with. Just some options for you if you are looking. Good Luck and enjoy the shopping and take your time!!!

CHEERS
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #33

Can't afford new. Just bought my second used RV First a FLEETWOOD FLAIR 24'. lasted 10 yars. then floor began to get soft spots. 460 cubic inch FORD. Ran great. No smoke. My first test before i bought it was to have the owner start it while i watched the exhaust pipe. If it had smoked that tells me the valve stem seals leak oil into the combustion chamber because the engine got hot enough to ruin the seals. My second is 15yrs. old and a CUMMINS/ALLISON pusher by SAFARI 32' and a peach. I've talked to new coach owners and a lot of them say that the problems always begin after purchase. Some say it does not stop. Every couple months its in the shop. So find a great shop and get ready or learn how to fix it yourself. For engine or tranny work i'd take it to who made em'. Big Rig or SEMI TRUCK shops have people working there who have a reason to do really good work. THEY TAKE PRIDE IN THEIR WORK.
bingo1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Cruiser View Post
Traps have you checked out the dealer in High River?? They are a Monaco dealer I believe their name is something like High River Autoplex & RV. They had a large inventory when we were there in Nov. Also we bought our used Windsor from Westgate RV in Kelowna and they were great to deal with. Just some options for you if you are looking. Good Luck and enjoy the shopping and take your time!!!

CHEERS

Thanks, have looked at High River Autoplex & RV, but they carry the Holiday Rambler line and DW much prefers the interior color and finish of the Monaco's, you just know we gotta keep momma happy on that side of it.

Will look into Westgate when the time comes and see what developes

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #35

I bought used as that was in my cash budget. I searched high and low, drove thousands of miles looking at a variety of coaches. While all looked great via email pictures, some were very nice in condition, some were not....Knowing what DP's cost, I had my searches on gassers. Of all I drove(but 2 Dynastys)...all had leaf springs, they ranged fom 32-36'
1 day a 96 Dynasty appeared, I inquired, I could tell my the 50 pictures that were emailed that the Dynasty was FAR superior in quality via pics. Upon seeing with my own eyes, I confirmed, fit, finish, assembly, suspension, workmanship, drivability, rideability, etc etc was far better than any gasser I had looked at. I look WAY deeper than appearance, I get into the nuts and bolts and assembly. I am not bashing the gassers due to their fuel or their manufacturer, Just stating what I encountered in my search to buy used.
So in my world...the Monaco is superior.....now if I'd compare the Monaco to some other DP's....that may be a totally different story and I'd be the 1st to admit it. Just because I spend my $ on an item does NOT make it the best in the world. That would be total arrogance on my part to think such a thing
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
In 2009 we bought a new 2008 Cayman 37 PDQ from Westgate RV in Kelowna. During the first year we had a few minor problems, all of which were fixed on warranty through Westgate. Almost all of them were problems with supplied parts, not those manufactured by Monaco. Everything is fixed now, and the motor home is performing fine.

Monaco did step up to the plate and shipped me a new set of upgraded rear suspension beams. They paid the freight, the installation bill here in Saskatoon at the Peterbilt Truck Centre and of course for the parts.

So far I haven't upgraded to the REK, but I plan to do that soon. The ride is too mushy and hits bottom on rare occasions at rail crossings for instance.

I have no idea why Monaco paid for my stuff, and evidently didn't pay for most or all repairs done on similar vintage units in the USA, but they did and I'm pleased about that. I'm not pleased that I was accused of lying by the author of this topic, but that may just be his style?

I did call Monaco about this suspension problem early on, and established a contact with a management type, and that may have been the reason for my good service? Or it may have been the deal Westgate made with them to buy several 2008 units? Westgate are great to do business with.

I like my Monaco motor home. My plan is to keep this one and wear it out, and never buy another motor home.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco