Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #1

Monaco Reviews slanted??

Lately I have noticed a number of positive reviews for new Monacos both here and on other forums. I didn't think much of this at first. I know that one of them is real. I am beginning to wonder about some of the other ultra positive reviews. Many manufacturers pay people to get on the net and "bless" their product. The wording in some of the posts makes me wonder? Anyone else noticed this? Or am I just being suspicious. I have yet to see a positive post from any existing Monaco owners. Talking to the "group" at Q I did not hear any "I love the new units" from experienced Monaco owners. Hmmmmm.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Lately I have noticed a number of positive reviews for new Monacos both here and on other forums. I didn't think much of this at first. I know that one of them is real. I am beginning to wonder about some of the other ultra positive reviews. Many manufacturers pay people to get on the net and "bless" their product. The wording in some of the posts makes me wonder? Anyone else noticed this? Or am I just being suspicious. I have yet to see a positive post from any existing Monaco owners. Talking to the "group" at Q I did not hear any "I love the new units" from experienced Monaco owners. Hmmmmm.
i also have to agree about products being blessed by would be members. i've seen a few here and other forums
Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Guess that means you don't want nothin to do with us future perspective Monaco owners,

I did think that this was a Monaco forum, but I guess I;ll move on elsewhere

Trap (who happens to really like the new Diplomat's)

Are we a little excited yes, after a year and a half of looking we have finally found the floorplan and coach that we would really like to get as soon as our property sells.

Not to worry I won;t be adding anymore to the Monaco forum here.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #4

Last time I talked about people making a glowing recommedation for a product because it was the only one that they had tried and it worked for them I was hit from all sides but that is usually the case. It is human nature to defend ones own decision and tell people how great it is because you chose it. All this does influence what other people think and buy. These days you can just about find comments on any product via the internet but buyer beware. I do agree that there are probably some companies are pushing their own products by coming up on forums and making comments like they are an everyday Joe Schumckatelly.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, kinda' like the reports and letters in Highways. They provide glowing reports of service and all follow the exact same format. When I read them, I smell something fishy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Everyone should keep in mind that Monaco has chosen a different and distinctive look. This is going to bring out a wide range of emotions, It may draw in new customers from other products at the same time it turns off more conservative older customers. If you happen to not like it, that's fine but, try not to disparage those who do. I also hope that this forum is inclusive enough to include those people who are interested in Monaco products but, not yet owners.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #7

traps90: My post was not aimed at you personally and if you took it that way I apologize. In this forum there are no personal attacks. Dhart who has posted about his new unit is also very excited . However his posts are very sincere and he truly loves his new unit. I enjoy reading posts form persepective owners . However I stand by my post that SOME of the posts may be compromised. I doubt anyone here does not want to hear from new owners. I have posted many positive comments on the new Monacos. Buying a new unit from what is essentially a new manufacturer with a new unproven powerplant is a big decision. We are not talking about reading a review on a toaster and then having to toss it because it does not work. Manufacturers can be ruthless. Caveat emptor.

On Edit: Trap will not find a better Monaco Forum on the net. I have yet to see anyone get good advice on a new Monaco in the MI forum?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many manufacturers pay people to get on the net and "bless" their product. [/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, do you have any facts that would back up that allegation?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone has oppinions, likes and dislikes. I try to keep an open mind to what they might have available now. Companies that have had problems research new avenues to promote their product. It may something planted but that's not to say they don't have a good product. For that matter you can read bad reports from owners on a lot of different mfr as well. There is no perfect rv out there and the more we share about our experiences the better.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Sales figures don't lie - If you are happy with your RV & it's manufacturer YOU buy another
2011 SALES (Jan. to Nov.)
Tiffin 1518 units
Fleetwood 547
Winnebago 523
Monaco 455
Thor 406
Newmar 294
The important thing to note here is BOTH Monaco & Fleetwood went BANKRUPT but ONLY the new Fleetwood covered previous owners warranty costs
"PENNY WISE BUT POUND FOOLISH"
MONGO MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #11

Golden, that happens big time on the car racing forums. Guys get product or finanacial sponsorship from a company then in turn they push their products on forums. Also you can do it unintentionally because if they sponsor you one feels like you owe it to them in return and you push their products. You are sure not going to push a competitive product and lose your sponsorship
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
traps90: My post was not aimed at you personally and if you took it that way I apologize. In this forum there are no personal attacks. Dhart who has posted about his new unit is also very excited . However his posts are very sincere and he truly loves his new unit. I enjoy reading posts form persepective owners . However I stand by my post that SOME of the posts may be compromised. I doubt anyone here does not want to hear from new owners. I have posted many positive comments on the new Monacos. Buying a new unit from what is essentially a new manufacturer with a new unproven powerplant is a big decision. We are not talking about reading a review on a toaster and then having to toss it because it does not work. Manufacturers can be ruthless. Caveat emptor.

On Edit: Trap will not find a better Monaco Forum on the net. I have yet to see anyone get good advice on a new Monaco in the MI forum?

Not a problem Moisheh.
I do agree about the new engine being a bit of a concern, although I have yet to find any bad reports about the MaxxForce 10. Also even with the new Cummins with the DEF there hasn't been enough time to see if there going to be problem free, the two people I have talked to that have the MaxxForce 10 so far really like the performance of it and the fuel milage seems to be better than a similar ISL

For us I guess it;s worth the gamble. Until we saw the new Diplomat we we're going with the the Dutch Star 4346 floorplan but it wasn't quite what we wanted.

I would prefer a sided Radiator, but if I put aside the money I'll save on the Diplomat compared to the Dutch Star it will pay for a lot of extra labour caused by the rear Rad.

Life's always a gamble. A friend off mine who was a hardcore Ford man bought a Chevy Duramax cause of the reported problems with the Ford and had to have it towed back to the shop 3 times in 2 years.

My Ford 6.0PSD gave me 75k trouble free miles. (But I was always nervous about that truck)

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the one we get is as good as everyone else's that I have talked to and they have had very few issues with there new Endeavor / Diplomats

We'll have a few months yet before we can order. But if the oppurtunity came today I will say it would be a new Diplomat

Trap

Now if Monaco wanted to give me an extra 15% off to promote there new Diplomat I don;t think I'd turn em down
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

Confirmation bias
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias, myside bias or verification bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.[Note 1][1] People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. For example, in reading about gun control, people usually prefer sources that affirm their existing attitudes. They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).
A series of experiments in the 1960s suggested that people are biased toward confirming their existing beliefs. Later work re-interpreted these results as a tendency to test ideas in a one-sided way, focusing on one possibility and ignoring alternatives. In certain situations, this tendency can bias people's conclusions. Explanations for the observed biases include wishful thinking and the limited human capacity to process information. Another explanation is that people show confirmation bias because they are weighing up the costs of being wrong, rather than investigating in a neutral, scientific way.
Confirmation biases contribute to overconfidence in personal beliefs and can maintain or strengthen beliefs in the face of contrary evidence. Poor decisions due to these biases have been found in military, political, and organizational contexts, as well as in the process of getting to know other people.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #14

Thanks Jim, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

Tags
monaco