Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2023, 03:02 PM   #1

Monaco Roadmaster chassis straightening

I am from the Los Angeles area and am trying to locate a shop that will straighten the frame near the rear passenger side single axle.
sangerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2023, 03:06 PM   #2

sangerguy,

Welcome to iRV2.

Which chassis do you have-- Monaco built/used several?

Exactly what is wrong/broken?

Picture would be helpful.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:26 PM   #3

Monaco Roadmaster chassis straightening

Google. “Truck frame straightening Los Angeles”. Then start making phone calls Monday.

California Frame and Axle is one that came up.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 04:59 PM   #4

I have a 2001 Monaco Dynast 38' with the Monaco Roadmaster Semi-Monocoque single rear axle. I have the vin# and will learn how to convert it to an frame part #.

The problem is that the frame is rubbing against the rear inside dually tire rim.

I have access to some pictures, but the shop is closed today.

I was driving North on Interstate 5 and was towing a 25' boat when I experienced an unexpected blowout with the front passenger side tire. This surprise occurred during evening rush hour traffic, and I was travelling at 50 mph.

Fortunately, I was able to get over to the emergency gravel lane without incident and we were fine.

The tire was almost completely gone and the rim had a 9" flat spot.

The vibration loosen the dash board, dislodged cabinets from the walls, destroyed electrical looms and appliances...just to mention a few issues.
sangerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 11:00 PM   #5

Good evening Sangerguy; Wow, sorry to hear about what happened. Just from what I know from crawling around under my 2 coaches for the last 16 years, here is what I think has happened. Both have had your same chassis that is on your Dynasty. Mine were both Windsor's. I am not a frame expert, but have 30 plus years of experience in the metals industry. Lots of tubing in the frame assembly that I am familiar with. I also have toured the Monaco plant that was in Coburg Oregon many times when in production of coaches like yours and had great interest in watching them build the chassis.

Going by what you have described, it sounds like the H frames that locates the axle assembles have shifted one way or the other. The H frames also have the air bags that support the body of the coach. If for some reason the locating arms that center the H frames have had welds break or have been bent would allow the axle, front or rear, to not be centered in the frame and then move to the left or right to have the wheels or tires to contact the frame. The axles have brackets that are welded or bolted to the H frame. In my opinion there is no way the frame rails could just bend to contact the tire. This is just from what I know how the Roadmaster chassis is constructed.

Every year I do an inspection, the best I can, of all the welds and tubing plus bushings in the H frame. Some coaches have developed cracks in certain areas. Try using a search engine to see if you can get pictures of the Semi-Monocoque chassis and this will give you an in-depth picture of how everything is built and located. Years ago Monaco had a DVD out on the building of their chassis and I used to have that DVD. Someone out there might have posting to it. Hope this long winded post gives you some help in a fix. Good luck.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 07:31 AM   #6
YC1

https://youtu.be/UMkHXO1iI94

https://youtu.be/BqR4saIdTLQ

https://youtu.be/PbmNDHqvlyI

See if any of these help.

Search for Vanwill on this site and pm him. He is an expert on the chassis and has actually built a working model. He is a wealth of information and is so helpful.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:37 AM   #7

Good morning YC1; Thanks for posting those videos. I used to have a ton of brochures and DVD's that I picked up at the factory in Coburg and at the Local Monaco dealer close to me. Lots of info on how they built the chassis and the coach body. Those sure were the days when Monaco was making a fantastic product. Been happy with the ones I have owned and still do. Make you wonder, what went wrong at Monaco! Hope those videos give Sangerguy some info on the construction of the chassis. Sure hope he gets back and tells us what went wrong. Thanks again and have a great week.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:06 AM   #8
YC1

I have a tremendous amount of information gleaned over the years, including factory cd information as you have seen.

If you have not see those files I will be glad to share the url where you can download about 8-10 gb of data.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you very much, Myron! I remember those videos and the information they presented, and they are all awesome. Excellent research material!

RIP, Monaco
Old 02-26-2023, 08:15 PM   #10

Good evening YC1; Yes, would be interested in being able to get the information you speak of. If you could share that URL information, that would be great. Mentioned the videos to another Monaco owner today and he is interested also. How do I proceed and thanks for the offer?
Old 02-27-2023, 08:28 AM   #11
YC1

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xjjsv...0-iNu?e=U16di9

The videos I posted have the links on a document in the Video folder in these files. The original videos are in there somewhere as well but they are too large to attach so I put them on youtube. The links shown previously can be copied and pasted into a browser

Old 03-07-2023, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangerguy View Post
I have a 2001 Monaco Dynast 38' with the Monaco Roadmaster Semi-Monocoque single rear axle. I have the vin# and will learn how to convert it to an frame part #.

The problem is that the frame is rubbing against the rear inside dually tire rim.
It's likely you have multiple disintegrated bushings in your rear suspension. This will allow the suspension subframe to shift a significant amount (2-3"). My 97 Windsor with the RR8S chassis has 10 of these bushings in the rear suspension.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangerguy View Post
I am from the Los Angeles area and am trying to locate a shop that will straighten the frame near the rear passenger side single axle.
Try Colton Truck Terminal in Colton.
If they do not do the work they can recommend someone who can. This is a great facility and can be trusted to do good work.
SnextK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, monaco, roadmaster