Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Monaco/Roadmaster QC

I have been under my Monaco many times. Usually it is for regular maintenance or installing a toad brake system. I have never really paid much attention to how Monaco and Roadmaster ran wires and hoses. On our trip south last week I had a breakdown near Ogallala.I was losing coolant . When I stopped I took a quick look and it was a heater hose. Actually 2 of them. Monaco did a horrible job of running those hoses. They are not properly fastened to anything and in at least 3 places they sit on the edge of an angle iron or droop over a piece of flat iron. With constant vibrations it wore through 2 hoses and there are other spots where the same will happen. The wiring is almost as bad. This is shameful. I also own a 2005 Bounder DP. Certainly no match for a Dynasty. BUT the Freightliner chassis routes everything according to a code. Nothing is allowed to just hang and eventually fail. I cannot speak for any other Monaco owners but if you have an 07 to 09 Dynasty I would advise any owner to climb under and correct a potential serious problem. I lost 3 or 4 gallons of expensive Final Charge and will now have to buy new heater hoses and splice them . I might also add that Monaco could have used a better quality hose. Just common automotive hose. There are HD hoses that will outlast that junk. The wiring is very messy but can be fixed with some Adel clamps and some good quality wire ties.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Yup. I had an exposed wire connection between the door sensor (to open or close the step) hanging in front of the front wheel. What a surprise, it corroded and caused the step to fail.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
YC1

In 2008 they were on the way out and absolutely no quality control. I keep finding 3 inch screws where a 1 inch would suffice. Have found so many scary and miserable items I am almost embarrassed to admit to. A wire running willy nilly across moving suspension members to repair some unknown issue. The steering wheel boot on the floor had been cut completely by carpet layers. It almost resulted in a wreck when the rubber fell down far enough to interfere with my steering. The ride height was over an inch off. The front end was miserably out of alignment. And so many other things I cannot remember. I have spent thousands to make this thing handle properly and fortunately am very handy with tools and a voltmeter or would have spent many thousands on repairs.

I now understand how I got such a great deal when I bought it new. Over 100K off msrp.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #4

I guess I was surprised as I have had almost no issues with anything else. The interior assembly was excellent. No missing screws. All cabinetry was great. Of course there are always small things that need a little "loving". I also think that the units that were assembled in Oregon had better QC than those from Indiana.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the same experience with our older Monaco Dynasty. I have spent considerable time moving and sometimes rerouting coolant hoses, hydraulic lines, and wires. I had one coolant hose fail because it was plastic tied against the sharp edge of an angle iron. But, I guess it did last 18 years! I have hydraulic hoses that I moved because the angle irons the hoses were clamped to had worn slots into the rubber casing of the hoses. I have considered replacing those hoses, but for now I'm monitoring them.

Oh yes. Mine was assembled in Indiana.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco