Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #1

Monaco Safari Diplomat Suspension

I have a 2009 Safari 35 ft Diesel Pusher on 4 air bags. On our way home from Southern California to Canada I notice excessive swaying, a slight pull to the right and pulling to the left during deceleration. I took the mh to a Freightliner garage asap. I apparently have a broken rear right spring. The repair will be completed next week so we have 7 days of extended holiday.
I have 2 questions I would appreciate having answered. The first I’m embarrassed to ask but its driving me crazy, I thought I had air bags, where are the springs?? The second is the repair called for only one spring to be replaced. Is that satisfactory or should both sides be done. I do trust this dealership, they have been excellent!!
Answers would be appreciated. I am happy that repairs are being done but I am very curious.
f6ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #2

Hi F6ber; I am going to guess, air bag, air spring. I think it is the old tomato or tomoto equation. The air bag is the spring in the suspension along with trailing arms, shocks etc. in the coach suspension. Not sure about the Safari, Diplomat part of your post. There are certain years of both that might have the same suspension system. Most Diplomat's that I am familiar with have the 8 air bag suspension like my 01 Windsor. There are people here who know all when it comes to chassis and suspension type. I am sure you will get a better answer than what l have provided, but this should answer part of your question. Have a great evening!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
4 airbags is the same as 4 air springs. On that new a rig I would only replace one...airbags are usually good for 20+ years.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi F6ber; I am going to guess, air bag, air spring. I think it is the old tomato or tomoto equation. The air bag is the spring in the suspension along with trailing arms, shocks etc. in the coach suspension. Not sure about the Safari, Diplomat part of your post. There are certain years of both that might have the same suspension system. Most Diplomat's that I am familiar with have the 8 air bag suspension like my 01 Windsor. There are people here who know all when it comes to chassis and suspension type. I am sure you will get a better answer than what l have provided, but this should answer part of your question. Have a great evening!

Thanks for the reply 8.3Oilburner. Maybe I should describe the model as 2009 Safari Diplomat made by Monaco. It does sit on 4 air bags. When I looked at the work order it described the part as a leaf spring. All I see when I look under the coach is an air bag. The lady at the front desk politely smiled and told me it has springs also. Of course you can’t talk to a mechanic. I can hardly wait to see how it gets repaired.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
4 airbags is the same as 4 air springs. On that new a rig I would only replace one...airbags are usually good for 20+ years.

Thanks ivylog, I appreciate the advice and you must be right. My original diagnosis was for 2 leaf springs. The second was an actual quote for 1 spring. She probably just called it a spring. I sure wish you could talk to the mechanic in these big shops. Good news is it is covered by warranty. Cheers
Old 05-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
OK, now I'm really confused. I've not heard that any of the Monaco DP's have 'leaf springs'. Please be careful there!

Also confused as to which Monaco model you're referring-to. I tried to google "2009 Safari Diplomat made by Monaco" to check about the possibility of leaf & air springs, but it didn't show that combination.

Like oilburner said, there's a huge brain-trust on here about the details. They'll be better able to help.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
OK, now I'm really confused. I've not heard that any of the Monaco DP's have 'leaf springs'. Please be careful there!

Also confused as to which Monaco model you're referring-to. I tried to google "2009 Safari Diplomat made by Monaco" to check about the possibility of leaf & air springs, but it didn't show that combination.

Like oilburner said, there's a huge brain-trust on here about the details. They'll be better able to help.

Good luck!

Sorry about taking so long to reply. Very interesting, I just found out that the real problem is a broken right hand trailing arm. I did see where it was broken. I feel very fortunate that it was discovered before something serious happened. It broke just in front of the right rear axle. It actually was quite hard to see. By the way, there definitely are no leaf springs. Mystery solved but ooh, this repair is going to hurt!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6ber View Post
Sorry about taking so long to reply. Very interesting, I just found out that the real problem is a broken right hand trailing arm. I did see where it was broken. I feel very fortunate that it was discovered before something serious happened. It broke just in front of the right rear axle. It actually was quite hard to see. By the way, there definitely are no leaf springs. Mystery solved but ooh, this repair is going to hurt!

One more thing, I did buy the motorhome 4 years ago as a 2009 Monaco Safari Diplomat.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Several years ago you posted that you bought a 2009 Monaco Safari Cascade 35SBD diesel pusher. Is this the same RV?

And I'm surprised that your service shop told you it had leaf springs .

In any case, glad you found the problem before something bad happened! There are definiteley some suspension gurus on here that can help. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #10

What are they planning to do to repair it ?

Those trailing arms are a well known defect on those 4 bag chassis .
Any attempt at welding is asking for more problems .
There is a company called Source Engineering that makes heavy duty
replacement arms for your coach . That is who I would contact for parts .

Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post

ALSO, the replacement trailing arms are very different than the originals. I would not (and did not) replace just one. They do the same thing, but design is different.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post

To the question about purchasing this motorhome several years ago and posting, it likely was me. I I purchased it in 2014.

With regard to the second question about welding. The answer is “no”. I definitely will get the trailing arms replaced with the heavy upgrades. When I purchased the mh I was very concerned about the trailing arms. The dealer assured me that the upgrades had been done.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #13

They are ordering trailing seems for both sides. I agree that would be very important. This will be a costly repair but I feel comfortable now that it will be fixed right.

Thanks to everyone that participated in this discussion. It certainly helped me.

Tags
monaco, suspension