Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gil, The temporary fix was only used for one day then the switch was changed. The installer stated that the common wire was loose. It's hard to see, but the white wire was somewhat discolored on the other side where the lower blue wires are connected.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #16

Drifter,

Loose wires are what IOTA believes may be the problem. I have the same controller and have checked the connections.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a blame game called recall. Installation problem?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Our switch went bad when I was plugged into 30 amp system and started the generator. The switch couldn't handle the extra feed. The blue wires were a temporary fix while boondocking until we changed the box, this was back in 08.

Mike,
Do you have any pics and part # of the transfer switch that you replaced the Iota with? I understand that the TCI unit NaviStar is using for the replacement is a lot smaller than the Iota. Wonder were all the wires will go? I was told today that my unit wasn't covered but that I definitely had the faulty switch. Thanks!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Has anyone with a coach made by the old Monaco received a notice from Monaco?
Don't think that will ever happen since they have no responsibility for any Old Monaco's. Remember how the Trailing Arm problem was ours to handle by ourselves.

Tomorrow I need to check my coach. I think I have the switch in question.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The only thing I heard was that the new unit will be mounted in a "metal" box instead of plastic. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Wannabe, We replaced it with the same unit as the old. It's been four years now and no problems. I really think that the units were installed wrong from Monaco.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
transfer switch recall

The transfer switch was probably wired by the dept. that wired my inverter that started on fire this past july. Now I suppose I should set up my lawnchair and sit with the fire ext. on my lap and wait for the transfer switch to go next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter 2011 004.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	19288  
wrenchead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #23

Here's some updated information:

1. Monaco RV is only recalling Monaco RV sold units, which we all assumed. Their replacement unit is the Surge Guard 41260, which sells for about $250. BTW, it too is in a non metallic enclosure.

2. IOTA Engineering has not recalled the transfer switch. Here's what I received from them today:

Iota Engineering has not issued a recall on the ITS-50. You are correct, the issue is making sure the wire lugs are tightened down properly.
If you take the cover off the ITS-50, you will see a row of 13 wire lugs with two screws each. Make sure all those screws are tight. Our specs call for 45 inch pounds. You may also want to put some lock tight on the screws if you want to.
If you see signs of any of the wires getting hot, that is evidence of a loose connection. Let me know if you see any problems or if you have any further questions.
Regards.
Jay Settlemyre
Iota Engineering Tech Support
www.iotaengineering.com
1-800-866-4682 ext 160

3. If you're looking for a torque driver, I just bought this one from Amazon, Amazon.com: Neiko Pro-Grade 1/4-Inch Drive Torque Screwdriver - 10-50 Inch-Lbs: Home Improvement . They aren't cheap, but neither is piece of mind.

Gil
Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Hi Guys

OK. How many of you owners of 2007 and earlier MH's are going to have the transfer switch replaced if you have the same one as mentioned in the recall??

Navistar is only covering free of charge the ones installed in 2008 and later units that they installed. I currently in my MH have the same one installed and now I am worried that I should look into getting this unit changed out even though I will have to pay the cost

Any comments or thoughts.
Bill
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #25

I'm not changing mine unless I discover signs of overheating. I did look at it a few weeks ago and it looked fine, but I wasn't looking too hard as I didn't know of the recall. Given my coach is an early 08, I would think I've stressed the transfer switch pretty good.

FWIW, I doubt anyone without three air conditioners draws anywhere near the rating of these relays.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Gil: I believe you are correct concerning the Surge Guard replacement for the IOTA. I've already scheduled my coach for replacement of the switch under warranty (not entirely sure why my unit is covered by recall but I'm not complaining) and they did say it was being replaced by a Surge Guard unit. My question is will the new unit replace the need to purchase a separate surge protection system like the EMS-HW50C unit from Progressive Industries. Reason I ask this is based on following description of the Surge Guard unit. If it does it would save me the money I planned to spend on the separate surge protection system.

Model 41260

with RV Power Protection
120/240V, 50A, 60 Hz

• Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
  • Provides the following protection:
    • Open neutral
    • Reverse polarity
  • Time delay at power up (Shore 3-4 sec., Generator 30 sec.)
  • Mechanical interlocking contactors.
  • UL Approved ATS – full transfer switch rating, UL1008, (not general control).
  • Provides surge protection.
  • Multi-mode surge suppression.
  • Contactor Rating 50A, FLA.
  • 2600 Joules at 76,400 Amps.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #27

Yes the replacement has surge protection. It is missing over/under voltage protection that's included in some surge protection devices, such as the Surge Guard unit. TRC, the manufacturer of the replacement switch, does has a full featured transfer switch. It's pricey at about $600, so I wouldn't expect Monaco to spring for the more feature rich unit.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I saw the pricer unit as well, maybe I could have them install this unit and pay DeMartini the difference between the units if I can justify it. Will need to do some more research.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, recall, safety