Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Monaco Slide outs when Site not Level

I have purchased a home with an existing concrete pad that is not completely level. I understand the procedures for slides in and out in travel mode but was wondering what others thought about a site that is not capable of completely leveling the coach. I have already used the blocks to under the rear wheels about as high as I feel comfortable going and do not have hydraulic jacks as it is an air only leveling system. Even with the front suspension down on the air suspension as far as possible and the rear suspension aired up as high as possible the coach is still not completely level front to back. I was wondering if it is still safe to put the slides out given this slight slope the system is unable to compensate for.
There is no problem in twist left to right but just a very slight slope that is difficult to adjust for given the range of adjustment available with the air only system.
robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 05:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Robert that would not be a problem if there is no twist but it might be more than the gas elec refig can stand if that is what is in the coach.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Agree - worse case scenario of front to back slope is issues with rv fridge, but an even worse problem is rolling off the bed
Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #4

Ok. I appreciate the response and didn't really think about the fridge being an issue. It is a residential refrigerator. Since it is only a very slight slope, hopefully the fridge will be ok. I am assuming also that it would be ok with the airbags to be totally deflated in the front and inflated to max in the back for extended time periods. Thanks again for thoughts....
Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Slides first, then level

If your coach is like other Monaco coaches, you should deploy and retract the slides when at ride height, not after leveling, regardless of how unlevel your site is.

At ride height, the slideouts are square with the frame, regardless of the slope. After you level, that may not be the case.

In the 13 years we have been fulltiming with Monaco-built coaches, I have moved the slides in or out after leveling only once. We were having a slideout topper replaced, and the installer needed to test it. I brought the slide in without going to ride height first and couldn't figure out why the end of the slideout topper housing was binding on the end of the housing of the door awning. I brought the coach to ride height, and it worked perfectly.

And that was not a particularly unlevel site.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

FWIW If you want to level the coach at home why not make some leveling blocks to help the rear? I'd use pressure treated 2x10 with the grain lines running across the the board end. Make 4 to accommodate the duals. Cut the ends at ~45 deg. Step and stack if needed.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Even with the front suspension down on the air suspension as far as possible and the rear suspension aired up as high as possible the coach is still not completely level front to back. I was wondering if it is still safe to put the slides out given this slight slope the system is unable to compensate for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali View Post
If your coach is like other Monaco coaches, you should deploy and retract the slides when at ride height, not after leveling, regardless of how unlevel your site is.
Exactly!!

Robert... you're doing the procedure incorrectly. Per Monaco instructions....slides out first then level. Read your owner's manual.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Exactly!!

Robert... you're doing the procedure incorrectly. Per Monaco instructions....slides out first then level. Read your owner's manual.

Ron
"Exactly!!

Robert... you're doing the procedure incorrectly. Per Monaco instructions....slides out first then level. Read your owner's manual."

As I stated, I understand the correct procedures for the slides and not extending or retracting incorrectly and have read the manual. Travel mode is ride height which is when they have always been extended and retracted. Was more concerned regarding the fact that the coach never got completely level. I have tested the site with the slides in and know that it will not completely level so hope that clears up any confusion. I have already made the blocks with the 2x10's also with three levels on the back and don't want to go any higher but thank for the suggestion.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
As I stated, I understand the correct procedures for the slides and not extending or retracting incorrectly and have read the manual. Travel mode is ride height which is when they have always been extended and retracted. ...
I apologize for misunderstanding your original post. I completely overlooked your statement "I understand the procedures for slides in and out in travel mode..."
Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

No problem.. Thx for reply..
Old 06-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I was wondering if it is still safe to put the slides out given this slight slope the system is unable to compensate for.
If I read you properly, you are pulling onto your uneven pad, extending the slides while in travel mode (coach not level) and then using the air leveling to try to bring the coach level but it can't quite get there. You wonder if that's a problem. Is that right?

If so, I don't see where there is a problem. The fact that the coach can't ultimately level shouldn't have anything to do with extending/retracting slides while in travel mode.

How high and how large are the block under the rear wheels?I've done 4.5 inches under my rear wheels, and would be willing to do more if I had more blocks. (I stagger the blocks to form a kind of ramp to make it easier to get up, so I can't end up with all my blocks under the rear wheels.) The biggest concern I have is overrunning the ends of the blocks, so I always have a spotter.

Since it's a "permanent" situation for you, how about building some large heavy duty ramps with 4x4s and a couple layers of 3/4 pressure treated plywood? Make them large enough so you don't have to be aligned just perfectly, and bolt a 4x4 curb around them so you can't overrun the ends or sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
but it might be more than the gas elec refig can stand if that is what is in the coach.
Robert has no such concerns with his residential style fridge, but even a gas/electric fridge is much more tolerant than most people think. The most restrictive spec for a gas fridge is usually +/- 3 degrees side to side, which is front to back from the coach's perspective. Over the length of a 40 foot coach, that means that if the front bumper is within 2 feet of the rear bumper, the fridge will be happy. I wouldn't call that a slight slope, I'd call it significant.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #12

Shape Shifter you "nailed" the situation and yes that is correct. I was most concerned about leaving the slides out in a slightly uneven situation even though they would be put out and back in travel mode as is normal procedure. I am already up on the back wheels 6" using 3 2x10 boards staggered as described and one more would probably be enough to make it level but didn't really want to go any higher. Thanks for your response. Yes agree it is a significant slope but wanted to make clear that after the boards on the back and leveling with the air system only a very slight slope remains. Was also somewhat concerned about the front air bags being left deflated and the rear bags totally inflated over an extended period of time.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I was most concerned about leaving the slides out in a slightly uneven situation
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a reason to be concerned about that. My current parking pad has a little bit of a slope to it (maybe 4 inches over the length of the coach?) and at my previous house it was almost a foot over the length of the coach. I didn't worry about leaving the slides out when it was still in travel mode and not on the jacks.

Quote:
Was also somewhat concerned about the front air bags being left deflated and the rear bags totally inflated over an extended period of time.
I can't help you there, as I don't have air leveling. But given that you don't have jacks and it's designed to be on the air bags all the time, I would think that wouldn't be such an unusual situation for them.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
... Was also somewhat concerned about the front air bags being left deflated and the rear bags totally inflated over an extended period of time.
We have parked for weeks or months at a time with either the front or rear air bags completely inflated or deflated. After 11 years living in this rig it doesn't seem to have hurt anything.

Unless you are very lucky, your coach will leak down air over time. If you have an on-board compressor like ours, it will periodically re-level. If the slope is beyond the range of the levelers, however, I don't know whether it will do that. We have never parked overnight on a slope that steep.

Tags
monaco, slide, slide out