Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #1

Monaco - starting chassis battery from house batteries

I have recently purchased a 2002 Monaco Windsor. I had a issue with my alternator and have drained my chassis battery, low but not dead. Current battery will not start the motor. I have heard there was a way to start the coach off the house batteries so I can move it to a garage. Does anyone know? I cannot find anything in the manual. Thank you....
ray999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Should have a switch on your dash labeled 'Boost', or 'Battery Boost'. Hold it in for about 10 seconds, then try starting engine, while holding switch in.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
May also be called "emergency start". Hold it to on, and
crank the engine. I basically connects all your batteries
together when held on.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Although I have a different make, look for a switch like shown below. Either on your dash or arm rest. Sorry it's kind of fuzzy, it's a zoom of a low pixel photo.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aux start.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	144640  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Or start gen, let it charge house and then chassis batts. My manual says the gen should run 30 mins and then use the aux start switch for intervals of 60sec for 10 x before trying to start engine.

I managed to use one of the porta jumpers to boost my chassis bats and get it to spin over.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My battery boost is on the left of the steering wheel about knee level on the dash... My downloaded manual says:

Battery Boost:
The battery boost switch at the cockpit energizes the coil of the isolator relay. This connects the house batteries to the chassis
batteries when chassis battery voltage is not sufficient to crank the engine. The switch is to be used for emergency starting purposes. Due to the amount of current necessary to crank the engine, use of the battery boost switch should be used
for periods of short duration in order to deliver full current to the engine batteries...

Battery Boost Switch:
The Battery Boost switch engages a heavy-duty solenoid to electrically connect the house batteries to the engine battery in the event the engine will not crank or cranks slowly. The solenoid is designed for short-term high current intermittent use. Engaging the boost solenoid for an extended period will damage the solenoid.

Jump Starting Using the Battery Boost Switch:
With the ignition key off, press and hold the Battery Boost switch for ten seconds.
After ten seconds, continue to hold the switch down and turn on the ignition. If the engine fails to crank or does not crank fast
enough, discontinue the attempt. Continued attempts will only diminish any remaining surface charge in the chassis battery and
end future alternative attempts.
Next, start the generator. This may require using the Battery Boost switch for the generator to start from the engine battery.
Once the generator is operating, the electrical combination of the generator and the inverter will charge the batteries.

Allow the generator to run approximately ½ hour before attempting to start the engine.
After ½ hour of generator operation, leave the generator on and hold down the Battery Boost switch for one minute. Release the switch for one minute, then press the switch again for one minute. Alternate this cycle three to five times.
Next, hold the switch down and turn the ignition on . The battery voltage gauge should indicate at least 12 Volts. If voltage is sufficient with the Boost switch held down, try to start the engine.
If the engine fails to crank or fails to crank quickly, the chassis battery may be depleted and the motorhome will require jump-starting or an external charger hooked to the chassis battery.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #7

Start generator, use jumper cables from house to chassis batteries.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #8

Thank you all!!
ray999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The booster switch on my 2002 Windsor is labeled "AUX START".
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Did you get it started? Also you said chassis battery, you should have two start batteries both at near 1000 starting amps. Also if you are in colder area the preheat grid will be on so I would hold the emergency start switch for a good two minutes before trying the start. Then continue holding the emergency start switch while trying the start, you will see a drop in voltage if the grid heaters are needed, on the dash gauge, as well as the wait to start light. When the wait to start light go's out t r y the start. In very cold temps sometimes it helps to turn the key off after the wait to start light go's out and on again, this warms more air to help the start by heating twice. Also if you can start the Gen and have a battery charger you could charge the chassis batteries with it for a while before trying the emergency start switch this will give more amps to help start.

LEN

Tags
monaco