RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Monaco Water leak in slide

Hello to all. I have a 2008 38 foot Monaco Knight PDQ. We are full timers and have lived in it for over 4 years. Good MH!

I have a leak I am having trouble trying to solve. The front passanger slide will leak water into the MH in the front. Water will drip onto the coach from the padding below the cabinets. We are in Vermont and have had a lot of rain.

I put the slide out and even put out the awning over it. Still got water on the top of the slide and into the MH. I have looked for holes in the slide and have patched a couple of them. It still leaks.

The rubber slide seal is not connected at the top but is good on the sides. It is hanging down. Could this be allowing the water on the slide? Even so, the water should not leak into the MH.

Any suggestions on where to look? Is the seal a big problem?

Thanks.

Steve__

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had the same problem with our front curb side slide, it was leaking water. What I found was that the awning material was leaking water like as if it was a screen. I remounted the outside edge of the topper awning to a lower position and coated the awning material with Thomsons Water Seal and now we have no leaks.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

We were at the factory about a month ago with a leak in one of the front slides on our '08 Beaver Contessa. It's a known issue, glue seal failure. They have seen it several times and knew exactly how to repair it. Call the Coburg service center.
wmdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

Thnaks for the info. I'll call them.

I have a new leak. Water dripping in from the wall above the front door. I know there is a seal on the door and I have put sealant around it. Still leaks.
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If your water leak is the same as ours, I installed a piece of weartherstrip to redirect water away from the seam cap cover. The 2010 models are now coming with a L shaped water channel above the door.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Drifter, have the same problem with my slide awnings leaking like screen material. Tell me more about the Thompson's Water Seal. How's this doing after it's been on the material for awhile? Seems like it might stiffen the material, or maybe affect it some other way. I've been thinking the same thing as far as sealing the Acrylic with some type of sealer but not sure what to use. I thought about the ScotchGuard but I'm not sure it will do well out in the sun.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, I took auto carpet cleaner and tried to clean off the black marks first then after the awning was cleaner and dry I applied Thompsons Water sealer. It made the awning one shade darker but no other negative results. The idea for using Thompson's came from our local marine supply store that told me that it worked better on canvas than the marine products and was 1/3 the cost. At the point of application I was ready to replace the material anyway.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You said you remounted the outside mounts to lower the awning. I'm assuming you just lowered those rectangular mounts, is that correct? Also, have you tried tightening up the tension on the awnings? I thought I'd give that a whirl also. Haven't done it before so don't know what to expect. I have disconnected the roller and laid it back on the roof so I could get to the top of the slide and clean it good, but that's it.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, I did say that I remounted, but it was more like modified the brackets to remount in the same spot that the old brackets were mounted. Here a couple of picture of the way I achieved that.

Before modifying bracket.

After mounting of modified bracket attached in same location. I cut the brackets so not to make additional holes.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
We had the same problem with our front curb side slide, it was leaking water. What I found was that the awning material was leaking water like as if it was a screen. I remounted the outside edge of the topper awning to a lower position and coated the awning material with Thomsons Water Seal and now we have no leaks.
what did you use, the spray can stuff?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thompson's makes a product that should be great on awnings called Sport Seal Sport Seal Leather and Fabric Protector and Waterproofer | Leather and Fabric Waterproofing While I haven't used this on my awnings yet I will be. I have used it on our newly recovered leather couch and it worked great.

I had a hard time finding the product. I finally had to have a local dealer order the product.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
billyb, I tried to use a spray pump bottle, but it was just mess so I just poured it on and spread it with my hand. It sounds yucky but it worked out just fine. Were in Michigan and it has been raining for two days and no leaks.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
texnet would you use the Sport on a new 2011 Monaco awning? Or does the new material not need it?
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If the rubber slide seal is hanging down that's my bet for the leak and you need a new seal. Just went thro this on our own slide. New seal resolved it. Slide covers and awnings may leak water too, but the MH should be waterproof with or without slide covers.

Tags
leak, monaco, slide, water