Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Windsor 40PST ?

We have a 5er and have been thinking about upgrading to a used MH. We have looked at a lot of floor plans and like the 40PST best because the TV in in the rear of the living room, not over the windshield. We are looking at a 2002 model. Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, on this particular year model? Your input is appreciated!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think you'll love it. Windsors are great coaches. I assume its a Cummins ISC? What HP rating?
Make sure you check the tire dates and the service records. The Allison 3000 series trans should have been serviced with the new synthetic Transcend ATF. Transend extends the trans service intervals to 100,000 miles. It will have a tag on the trans dipstick indicating it should be serviced with Allison Transend only. If not, this is a very expensive update.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

The good news on an '02 Windsor is that was the last year that it was built on the Series S semi monocoque chassis with steel framing in the coach side walls. This means that the coach chassis is very stiff and well built. The flip side is that it is also heavy. Monaco started using 23,000 pound drive axles but with no tag axle you are over the federal bridge limit which is 20,000 for a single axle. The Ohio & PA turnpikes are starting to weight at the toll booths and turn away a coach much over the 20k limit. A tag axle coach with the 23k axle is ok because the federal bridge limit is 34k for a drive/tag combo. Even with the 23k axle you may find that the CCC is somewhat low. Just check the coach thoroughly and make sure there aren't any issues that would limit you.

With that caveat, an "02 Windsor, if well maintained, should be a solid, reliable coach for many years.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #4

Monaco Windsor 40PST ?

We are full timers who moved from a Carriage Cameo 5th wheel to a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40PST. We are very happy with our Imperial and the 40 PST floor plan.
You may need to check the year or floor plan because the 2002 Windsor 40PST has the TV over the windshield. You can view the floor plan here:

2002 MONACO WINDSOR 40PST #1135X | Guarantee RV

2002*Monaco*Windsor 40 PST w/3 Slides*listed on RVOnline.com

Joe & Margie
2002 Imperial

Quote:
We have a 5er and have been thinking about upgrading to a used MH. We have looked at a lot of floor plans and like the 40PST best because the TV in in the rear of the living room, not over the windshield. We are looking at a 2002 model. Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, on this particular year model? Your input is appreciated!
Joe&Margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe&Margie View Post
We are full timers who moved from a Carriage Cameo 5th wheel to a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40PST. We are very happy with our Imperial and the 40 PST floor plan.
You may need to check the year or floor plan because the 2002 Windsor 40PST has the TV over the windshield. You can view the floor plan here:

2002 MONACO WINDSOR 40PST #1135X | Guarantee RV

2002*Monaco*Windsor 40 PST w/3 Slides*listed on RVOnline.com

Joe & Margie
2002 Imperial
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of another brand we looked at on a recent trip to Chattanooga. I think it was a Fleetwood Excursion 40'. I sure would like to have the TV in another area.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What would you think I would have to pay for a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PST with fairly low mileage? I'm inquiring about this particular model bacause I have a friend who has one he is happy with and is recommending it to me.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #7

Joe,
I have a 2002 Windsor PST. I think it's a good coach for my needs and financial ability(got a good deal from mom and dad). As you know, things look different from a buyer's perspective than an owner's perspective. If I could afford to upgrade, I would buy an American Eagle. I like their build quality and ride better (my brother has a 2002 American Eagle).

If I could change a few things on my coach, these would include:

1. swing out bay doors instead of the swing up doors (this is a big deal to me since I'm tall)
2. motorized power cord reel (an option on some Windsors)
3. flat panel tv (at first I bumped my head on that front TV cabinet when wearing a ball cap)
4. spartan chassis (it would be difficult to change the chassis ). I have put new Bilstein shocks and will install sway bars from Source Engineering in order to get a ride similar to coaches with the Spartan chassis.
5. king size bed

Some of the many features I like:

1. Cummins ISC 350 hp (can get 10 mpg if I drive 60 and plenty of power)
2. furnace works great (my dad's new Beaver has aqua heat and they are never warm enough)
3. very spacious inside (as compared to brother's 2 slide American Eagle)
4. so far excellent support by Monaco technical assistance
5. great leather captain's chairs (I don't like the new pleather style ones -- feel squishy and a bit too narrow)

Good luck and take your time. It's a buyer's market.
Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
jminyard.....When the economy started to fall apart, people were picking up good deals on coaches. The Windsor is one of the best coaches out there. I wouldn't be afraid of a well taken care of unit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We recently bought a 2003 Windsor, but it was not the PST. We are very happy with ours. It's a well made coach.
krnlueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,
We bought an 04 pst last year and we love it! I suggest you verify that the engine oil and other service items called out for the mileage have been accomplished, and I strongly echo Vito's suggestion on the tires. Replace tires that are old whether worn or not. A blow-out will likely cause body damage and travel inconveniences that could easily cost as much as a whole set of new tires. I speak from experience. Check everything, and ask questions! If you do, you'll be as happy as we are. Good luck!
late starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Smile Monaco, good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
I have that motor home. Love it. I like the side radiator for several reasons, It's easy to check the engine and belts, you are looking at the engine. The side radiator stays cleaner and isn't subject to road debris being thrown up and clogging or damaging it. Just inspect the radiator by pulling off the side grille, (6 screws), and make sure no stones have gotten in there from passing vehicles that could wedge along the bottom and cause a leak. A 5 minute check can save you $1,400! The seamless fiberglass roof is great. The ride with the 8 airbags is like a bus. Well insulated from noise and vibration, all tubing is foam filled. Iv'e got 75000 miles on mine, 20,000 myself. Handles the Arizona desert at 110* mountain climbing pulling a full size Chevy pickup without heating up. The rear trailing arm issues are not with this model. Good choice!!
uffdaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all your comments! We've found one that we are going to look at and you've given us some things to look for. We appreciate your suggestions!

Tags
monaco