Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

Monaco Windsor Side Sucker Nightmare

So I was using my 1999 Monaco Windsor 8.3 up skiing on White Pass 2 weekends ago when I was getting ready to leave I noticed a hydraulic oil leak dripping from around the rear radiator area. After some investigation I made the decision to limp it down the mountain pass to civilization. I got to the bottom and checked it again saw no leak so I continued on to home keeping a close eye on it. When I arrived home I then saw it leaking again. Long story short, I diagnosed it to be the hydraulic oil cooler that is welded to the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) that is bolted to the radiator, I was hoping for a hole in a hose . I searched the forums and internet for answers on fixing it. I hate taking vehicles to the shop so I decided to tackle the removal myself. I thought that I could get the CAC and hydraulic oil cooler out without removing the radiator but there was just not enough room to slide the CAC away from the radiator so I pulled out the whole assembly. Let me tell you this was a pain in the booty! But it's out.

I got on line and called places around the states who specialize in rebuilding these things but ultimately I opted for a place out of Kelso, WA who Cummins NW referred me to, Hart Radiator. I feel more comfortable being able to talk to somebody face to face and they were less than an hour away. So I took the CAC assembly to them and I also took the radiator as when I looked at it, it didn't look so great to me, it had a pinkish corrosion on about half of it. Since I had it all out I wanted a clean bill of health before I put it back in, you don't want to have to do this job twice. Doug at Hart Radiator looked at the radiator sitting in the back of my truck and said "not good" there's a lot of corrosion on that thing but we'll wash and test it, he then looked at the CAC assembly and said we can rebuild the oil cooler and we'll test the CAC to see if it's in specs, we'll give you a call in the am. I left with a bad feeling ca-ching ca-ching ca-ching!

Sure enough the next morning as I was fishing for steelhead on the Chehalis, ring ring the call went like this....Jerry i'm not going to be your friend today...the radiator, there's not much to salvage it's going to need to be rebuilt....$1840.00....the CAC, I can't believe you didn't notice a huge loss in power in your motorhome it barely holds air and as you know the oil cooler is leaking so it's going to be $1710.00 to rebuild the CAC oil cooler assembly. Grand total of $3550.00 yeeeouch ! We'll I gave him the go ahead what do you do? So while I'm waiting for them to be fixed i'm cleaning up from the leaking oil and getting it ready for re-install. At this point I don't feel that Hart Radiator is taking advantage of me as I knew by looking at the radiator it was bad and only a matter of time to failure as it was the original with a manufacture date of 1998. I have only owned my motorhome for 1.5 years and always kind of thought it may have been low on power and getting about 7.2mpg. So in the end the whole cooling system should be like new hopefully a bit more power and maybe mpg. I'll update you on the work of Hart Radiator and if your thinking of buying a new MH check these systems out as they are spendy to repair. If I didn't do the removal myself I think you could have added a couple more grand to the bill.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Jerry
1999 38' Monaco Windsor 8.3 ISC Cummins 64,000 miles and climbing.
OlyJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hope they get it fixed up for you and the reinstall goes smoothly!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Jerry,
I have just recently replaced my oil cooler, which is mounted under the CAC on my 2000 Windsor. My coach is a side radiator unit.

Source engineering supplied the parts, it was considerably better than the other quotes I had recieved. I actually got a new part shipped to me for the "estimated if all things go ok cost to recore". Which would have also cost me shipping in both directions.

Good luck.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the pleasures of going diesel, comparing to big truck repair prices around here they do not seem to be out of of the norm.

If all goes well you'll feel happy you did it after the job is done and find an increase in performance and reliability.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

Yeah I priced them out for new ones from them and it would have been about $2500.00 bucks more, that darn radiator is $3315.00. Hopefully it all works out .

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #6

Your right John, this is my first Diesel MH and I'm learning bigger means bigger $$$. Oh well! you gotta pay to play.

Jerry
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

Just think about the cost of a new pusher and 3500 is not so bad. You know it will be done right and you will have a more reliable coach. Monacos are great rigs. Safe travels
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

One question Jerry. Does you radiator have the transmission cooler built into one end tank?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #9

Yes Steve mine does have the tranny cooler within the radiator. It faces towards the front of the motor home.
Jerry
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Jerry,

If I ever have to do what you are doing, I'm going to investigate dropping the internal transmission cooler and putting a radiator type as part of the radiator stack. If you ever get a leak in the transmission cooler inside the tank, you are guaranteed a transmission rebuild. The anti freeze destroys the internals of the tranny. While they are building yours you might talk to them about it.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

Good idea but it might be too late for me I think they are done with the radiator. I'll talk to them about it though.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
You forgot to tell us whether or not you caught any steelhead. HUH???
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #13

Yes we did catch some steelhead! Hooked 4 landed 3 kept 2 as one was a native. I tried to post a picture but for some reason it's not letting me. I already brined, smoked and ate it. MMMM

Jerry
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #14

They should be good! that was some expensive fish

Tags
monaco