Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 11:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Wiring Diagrams and circuit routing

I posted about what I thought was an inverter problem last week. My generator would die when I flipped on the L2 inverter line breaker in the main service panel. I called a service center and told me to completely bypass the inverter and test each circuit. Sure enough, found that the bathroom GFCI circuit would cause the generator to cut off. I could run everything else and the generator would run fine.

So I'm looking at my wiring diagrams, my model is a 38PKD but none of the wiring schematic show that specific model but I assume a similar floor plan would be the same. The bathroom circuits have 6 outlets designated as 6S1 to 6S6.

Does anyone know if the wiring follows the same numbering. In my case the 6S1 circuit is the right side of the bed cabinet then the other side of the bed, then the bedroom TV outlet, then commode room outlet, vanity outlet and finally the outlet at the end of a cabinet in the bedroom.

Just trying to figure out how the wiring is run to see if I can identify where the problem is with the wiring. Needless to say if I can't find the problem it will be difficult to run a completely new wire.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 12:24 PM   #2

Try replacing that specific GFCI receptacle with a standard receptacle, then re-run the test.
While you have it out, test that circuit for resistance and continuity in each wire.
Remember to disconnect all power sources first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That’s a good start Ray. If nothing changes, would removing each downstream receptacle one at a time be appropriate for the next step? It’d be a good time to ohm out individual sections of the leg. Jim does your schematic show any junction boxes in the circuit?
Old 07-31-2021, 12:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This circuit actually uses GFCI breakers. I swapped the other GFCI breaker and it did the same thing, the generator cuts out as soon as I flip the breaker. Not sure why the breaker doesn't trip but it doesn't.

I'll do some testing on the circuits to see if can at least narrow down the area I need to check.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Jim does your schematic show any junction boxes in the circuit?

It does show J-Boxes but none in this circuit. I'm almost positive there is one under the bed but it doesn't show one on the diagram. I pulled both outlets under the 2 sinks and the wires are daisy chained. I assume when I pull the outlet at the end of the cabinet there will only be one wire.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
It does show J-Boxes but none in this circuit. I'm almost positive there is one under the bed but it doesn't show one on the diagram. I pulled both outlets under the 2 sinks and the wires are daisy chained. I assume when I pull the outlet at the end of the cabinet there will only be one wire.
I'm thinking the problem is more likely to be at a connection point such as an outlet or junction box than in a wire. So you know which outlet are in the circuit and their order? If you do, I'd disconnect the circuit in the middle and see if anything changes. i
Old 07-31-2021, 02:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I tested the circuit and it shows it is going to ground.

I pulled each of the outlets but didn't find anything. I will have to disconnect a couple to determine how the circuit is daisy chained. I can then hopefully isolate where the problem may be.

There is a J-box under the bed, a little strange in that it has 2 sets of wire coming into it but only one going to the outlet on the right side bed. These wires comes from another J-box mounted above the engine next to the surge tank. No idea with the other wires come from, I did not see any of this color behind the main service and/or inverter panel.

My guess is that the order of the circuits is

1. 1/2 bath,
  2. Bedroom vanity
  3. Bedroom base cabinet base of the bed
  4. TV >>>> Jbox in engine compartment>>> Jbox under bed
  5. Outlet right side of bed
  6. Outlet left side of bed
Old 07-31-2021, 02:44 PM   #8

Buy a pinger. They are cheap
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Got one, I have a good idea on how the wires are routed. I'm going to break the circuit into 2 halves and test each side and see if I can figure out where my problem is.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Good luck, by dividing the circuit in half you should be able to isolate the problem to one or the other.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Look for where the wires move; connections/junctions or just wires that go to a slide can rub and break the insulation, creating a short like you seem to be experiencing.
Harry Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #12

I have seen metal romex clamps overtightened and cut into copper maybe at box you mention or if someone used/added a metal single gang outlet box.
Hopefully the outlets are the kind that are easy to repair and work on. Heard of special RV ones that are a PITA.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I have seen metal romex clamps overtightened and cut into copper maybe at box you mention or if someone used/added a metal single gang outlet box.
Hopefully the outlets are the kind that are easy to repair and work on. Heard of special RV ones that are a PITA.

The outlets are the RV type, the kind that the wires are pressed into blades that pierce the insulation to connect the Hot/Neutral/ground together. Not the best.

The Jboxes are actually connected together using ~1" flexible conduit.

The best I can due is break the circuit into 2 parts and try and figure the wire routing and test which side is going to ground. Then narrow down a specific outlet or wire run.

The wire from the inverter subpanel is run into the ceiling and I believe somehow feeds the outlet in the 1/2 bath. I believe the wire is then routed from the TV outlet back into the ceiling and then down to the Jbox in the engine compartment and then back into the coach under the bed. The bed moves in and out but the wire is protected in a large conduit.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Still trying to figure out what the extra wires are in the Jbox in the engine compartment. Not sure what they feed.

They are not used for the engine block heat, this is a completely separate circuit from the main service panel are not powered from the inverter.

Anyone have a clue what these may be???

Tags
monaco, wiring, wiring diagram