RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco with MaxForce engine

I own a 2013 Knight with a MaxForce engine. Has anyone else had exhaust problems? After purchase, mine spent 2months in the shop.
Now I'm having transmission problems. The xtrans does not down shift properly. The coach starts jerking until enough speed is maintained. I'm told a new download is needed. That was eight months ago.

knight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #2

I have a 2012 knight 40DFT with the Maxxforce and have not had any exhaust issues. These engines have been criticized by many but I have been pleased with no problems with the engine after about 15000 miles. I can tell you that these engines need to be run hard and not "babied". They also do not like extended idle periods and recommend shutting down after short turbo cool down period. There is a computer update that addresses the exhaust system. I had no problems before or after the update with the system.
I had a similar transmission problem with jerky downshift at slow speeds when new particularly around 40 mph downshifting to 4th gear with a loud "clunk". I contacted Allison who recommended resetting the ECM for the transmission and then driving it through the gears using maximum acceleration shifts so that the computer would "relearn" the program. I can not remember the exact procedure to reset the transmission computer but believe it is stated in the Allison manual that came with the coach. It seems that the transmission has become smoother over time and now do not notice any issues when downshifting. For a short time when new and I had the slow speed shift issue, was able to get around the problem at slow speeds by manually keeping the transmission in a lower gear. Hope this helps and feel free to message further if I can help.

robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you. Sounds like the reboot should do the job.
Thanks again,

Bob & Susan
2013 Monaco Knight PDQ
knight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #4

MavvForce

Previously posted, but offers some insight on your problem

Rambler 419 dp rally at Elkhart
Just returned from this years Rally at Elkhart IN. Great time. Took a tour of the HR plant in Decatur. Had the Allison computer update software installed. Had the MAXXFORCE computer update as of Revision DTD 2 May 14. The engine revision was also for the regenerating component. Have previously had some "white smoke", but now none in 1600 miles. Had the tranny "latch code 6" installed, which holds back the RV when cruise is set and going down hill. Keeps the speed at 5 MPH over setting on cruise. Not sure which update, but there had been some "chugging" between 3/4 and 4/5. Lippert is also sending a new step module to correct intermittent problem. There were also some of HR "Sister ships" there. Possibly will be there again next year. Posted this 'cause I'masooohappy about attending the rally.
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My 2012 Knight had the jerking issue the day it was new. I have the ECM update done in last 2012 and that repaired the problem. This year I got another ECM update that was for the emission system (DPF). In over 17000 miles I haven't had any issues with the DPF, never had to do a regen.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome Knight 13 Knight12 here : Your problems are common and not a big deal there are recalls for both of these . Go back to your dealer service manager and have him look them up ,if he will not or is no help go to the closes international repair center and ask them . You can also give a call to your regional sales rep. and tell him what your coach is doing and ask him about the recalls ,also ask him how Monaco is going to cover the expense of getting it fixed . Hope this helps .The engine really is a great motor, Enjoy

Knight12 40pdq / 13equinox

KNIGHT12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco