Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

MonacoWatts or Safe T Plus

After driving East bound across Kansas on I-70 with a 30mph wind coming out of the South I have decided to do something about the constant steering that I had to do. Without getting into the details I'll tell you that I had to stop at every other rest stop just to regroup.

'05 Monaco Beaver Santium PDQ (and not towing this trip )

I've called Mike Hughes with MonacoWatts and checked videos and the web for Safe T Plus.

Safe T Plus if quite basic and easy to install it appears as well as half the price. I have no problem with that. I just want it to work well.

Monaco Watts is, of course, twice the price and it's more labor intensive. I don't have a problem with that either if it works.

Can anyone give me a little direction on which way to go ?

I do appreciate your help and advice.

heatseaker
'05 Monaco Beaver Santium PDQ
'07 GC toad
heatseaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

While I have no direct experience (yet) I can tell you from an engineering POV (mine ) it is always best to address the root cause of an issue (adding Watts link) versus masking the symptom. As always YMMV Good luck with your choice!!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Is your Santium built on an RR8 chassis?
If so, then definitely the Watts linkage. I would install the front Watts and see if it improves. Then if you tow add the rear also.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Safe T Plus may be a great product but it will not cure the wandering issues. The Watts link will.
I wasted money on a TruCenter from Blue Ox trying to cure the wandering. It actually made it worse. Now with a TRW steering gear and the Watts link the TruCenter is under the bench in the garage collecting dust...
Old 09-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
YC1

What steering gear box do you have?

Steering gear box
Watts Link,
Safe T Plus will just have you pushing against it so your work will be harder.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #6

s chassis installed the front and rear watts don't have a steering stabilizer, just drove it today for the first time on a short 5 mile or 10 miles round trip, it made a wonderful improvement, I highly suggest it!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogmax View Post
s chassis installed the front and rear watts don't have a steering stabilizer, just drove it today for the first time on a short 5 mile or 10 miles round trip, it made a wonderful improvement, I highly suggest it!

'02 was the last Windsor on the S Series chassis. Your '05 is on the RR8S. My best friend had an '05 coach for several years. Beautiful coach.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatseaker View Post
After driving East bound across Kansas on I-70 with a 30mph wind coming out of the South I have decided to do something about the constant steering that I had to do. Without getting into the details I'll tell you that I had to stop at every other rest stop just to regroup.

'05 Monaco Beaver Santium PDQ (and not towing this trip )

I've called Mike Hughes with MonacoWatts and checked videos and the web for Safe T Plus.

Safe T Plus if quite basic and easy to install it appears as well as half the price. I have no problem with that. I just want it to work well.

Monaco Watts is, of course, twice the price and it's more labor intensive. I don't have a problem with that either if it works.

Can anyone give me a little direction on which way to go ?

I do appreciate your help and advice.

heatseaker
'05 Monaco Beaver Santium PDQ
'07 GC toad
You're comparing apples to oranges. For the wandering and oversteering the monaco watts is the way to go, period.

However if your steering box, as Myron asks, is a Shepard then you MAY have other issues that the watts system will not correct. If you have a TRW steering box, it can be adjusted which will help you with the steering.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. For the wandering and oversteering the monaco watts is the way to go, period.

However if your steering box, as Myron asks, is a Shepard then you MAY have other issues that the watts system will not correct. If you have a TRW steering box, it can be adjusted which will help you with the steering.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Safe t plus or Watts

The only problem with either system that I've found is finding someone in my area ( Northwest Suburbs of Chicago) that is knowledgeable enough to install the system(s). I found a shop about 30 minutes away from my home but his pricing (for the Safe T Plus) was, in my opinion, way put of line compared to what various web sites say it should be.

As far as the Watts system, nobody in my area can help.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #11
YC1

Sounds like a road trip to me.

I have installed every mod available to date except the rear watts.
Shocks, sway bars, ride enhcancement check valves, Cross bars, had alignments, new tires, and yes the Safe-T-Plus.

Mine is Not installed at this time. It was a pain to get it centered. So much so that I built a trim kit. The whole thing is in the junk pile right now.

Installing one should take an hour or less for someone with the right tools.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Sounds like a road trip to me.

I have installed every mod available to date except the rear watts.
Shocks, sway bars, ride enhcancement check valves, Cross bars, had alignments, new tires, and yes the Safe-T-Plus.

Mine is Not installed at this time. It was a pain to get it centered. So much so that I built a trim kit. The whole thing is in the junk pile right now.

Installing one should take an hour or less for someone with the right tools.
I tried the Safe T Plus and could never get it centered. Could be an install error on my part but I did what was instructed, it could be that it was not a proper part for my steering box. Who knows. But I took it off. I have a Monaco Knight 40PLD.
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Safe - T - Plus with the Henderson on the "fly" adjustment. Works GREAT with this combination. Can be adjusted for any road and wind from the driver's seat with one little toggle switch. You MUST have a TRW steering box and front and rear Watt's links also Vans - X - Bars in the rear if you have a Monaco or Navistar 8 or 10 bag chassis. Good Koni FSD shocks with Source Engineering Comfort Control Valves helps a lot.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #14

Watts links

Does anyone know of a shop in the Phoenix area that would install the front and rear Watts links
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco