RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
My friend Terry picked up his new 08 Scepter in Eugene, OR, drove 300 miles and his turn signals quit. He replaced the original standard duty flasher with a heavy duty that he purchased at a truck stop.
I pick up my new motorhome in Eugene, drive 300 miles and my turn signals quit. Already knowing Terry's experience, I bought a HD electronic flasher, not knowing if the HD non electrical would last. Problem solved. Monaco is using a basic automotive flasher that has been used in cars for 30 years. And not even the heavy duty variety. Maybe they think no one tows with their motorhome. In all fairness, Monaco in the past did use a relay system to power the toad. My 08 Camelot did not have a relay box until I made and installed one, and one on Terry's also. Both coaches, like many other current coaches, use one bulb for the brake light and another for the turn signal, as do many new cars. On the other hand, the rear pigtail uses the same wire for both brake and turn circuit. When wiring your toad, either system can be utilized, although diodes may be needed. The problem arises when a supplemental braking system is installed and pushes on the brake pedal. If you have an on/off signal coming down the wire to the bulb and the supplemental brake system presses the brake pedal, the same wire now gets a steady on signal and that side will not flash until the brake pedal comes up.
Included in the 7 pin connector on the motorhome are a 12v wire (key on) and a trailer brake wire. (The other end of that wire terminates in the driver's area, where it can be attached to a brake controller.) It would be nice if they wired the motorhome for the 90% of users pulling a toad.
My Jeep has separate brake and turn circuits, so I made a relay box with three Bosch type relays to feed the pigtail to my toad. I use the right turn, left turn, and brake coach circuit to activate the relays. And, used the 12v key on wire to power the relays. Everthing works in unison now.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My friend Terry picked up his new 08 Scepter in Eugene, OR, drove 300 miles and his turn signals quit. He replaced the original standard duty flasher with a heavy duty that he purchased at a truck stop.
I pick up my new motorhome in Eugene, drive 300 miles and my turn signals quit. Already knowing Terry's experience, I bought a HD electronic flasher, not knowing if the HD non electrical would last. Problem solved. Monaco is using a basic automotive flasher that has been used in cars for 30 years. And not even the heavy duty variety. Maybe they think no one tows with their motorhome. In all fairness, Monaco in the past did use a relay system to power the toad. My 08 Camelot did not have a relay box until I made and installed one, and one on Terry's also. Both coaches, like many other current coaches, use one bulb for the brake light and another for the turn signal, as do many new cars. On the other hand, the rear pigtail uses the same wire for both brake and turn circuit. When wiring your toad, either system can be utilized, although diodes may be needed. The problem arises when a supplemental braking system is installed and pushes on the brake pedal. If you have an on/off signal coming down the wire to the bulb and the supplemental brake system presses the brake pedal, the same wire now gets a steady on signal and that side will not flash until the brake pedal comes up.
Included in the 7 pin connector on the motorhome are a 12v wire (key on) and a trailer brake wire. (The other end of that wire terminates in the driver's area, where it can be attached to a brake controller.) It would be nice if they wired the motorhome for the 90% of users pulling a toad.
My Jeep has separate brake and turn circuits, so I made a relay box with three Bosch type relays to feed the pigtail to my toad. I use the right turn, left turn, and brake coach circuit to activate the relays. And, used the 12v key on wire to power the relays. Everthing works in unison now.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
While talking to Monaco about another matter, they did inform me that they have changed the flasher to a heavy duty type to take the additional load of the toad.