Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
more issues after generator failure

Last month I posted in Class A Motorhomes about my Onan propane generator failure. It stalled while charging the batteries and running some other loads. The ignition module had failed. I finally fixed the generator and installed it in the coach today. It seems to be working fine.

A few other problems appeared immediately after the generator failed. I decided to get the generator working, then deal with these issues.

All of these things were working properly right up to the moment that the
generator stalled:

1. On shore power, or generator power. When charging the batteries, the
Xantrex remote used to show DC Volts and DC Amps. Now it does not show DC Amps. The batteries charge properly, everything seems to work except the LED lights on the DC Amps doesn't work. I have the Freedom 20 inverter, and a newer Xantrex remote installed by the previous owner.

I reset the breakers to the inverter, reset the breakers on the inverter itself, turned the inverter on and off several times, unplugged the phone wire from the remote, plugged it back in, went through all the programing procedures. No joy. The LED scale for DC Amps does not work.

While I was poking around the inverter today, I noticed that the fan in the
inverter was not running. But I wonder if it's controlled by temperature.

2. The tachometer is not working, and the volt gauge is reading low, somewhere about 11 - 11.5 volts. When I pull the light switch on, the dash lights dim. Last year I fixed all the dash grounds and added a bunch more grounds. Today I checked all grounds. No joy.

Now I just had the thought that maybe the alternator is fried. It charges the batteries, but maybe... I'll check that in the morning.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I'll be working on it again tomorrow. Hope someone has some insight.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
A VOM is your friend, there is just no substitute for electrical diagnosis with unknown problems. If it were me I would start checking voltages coming from converter and battery(s) and working to equipment that is not working properly.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like computer confusion caused by weird voltages when your generator packed it in.

1 (a): The Xantrex doesn't reset when you shut off the breaker. You have to ALSO shut off the DC in. I had the computer in mine get confused and stop talking to the remote like this also, dealer said to turn off ac AND dc, wait a minute, power up - all good.

1 (b): Xantrex fans ARE temperature controlled. They shut off unless inverting or charging at a high rate. (You wouldn't like the noise output if it didn't work this way).

2: Same a 1(a) - try turning off all the dc power - for the chassis, you probably have a separate shutoff than for the house, at least I do on my '02. You may also be having troubles with the chassis charge relay if the voltage is truly low and not just a computer confused by the spikes that came across from the house side when the generator died - someone else will have to fill in more about this as I don't have the BIRD in my older diplomat equivalent, nor do I have the fancy computerized dash, so this is just a guess based on years of dealing with confused computers.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I discovered today that the alternator is not charging. I installed a new spare one I carry. It's not charging either.

So, next thing I'll have both alternators tested at the electrical shop. Hopefully they'll tell me both are not working, because I do not want the problem to be in the coach wiring! Oh no!
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same symptoms with my Hehr alternator on a '94 Dynasty. Tach quit intermittently and dash volt gauge fluctuated. I talked with Hehr support in Canada and they explained the problem appeared to be the outboard regulator that was mounted just to the left of the alternator pulley. They suggested I use an older model Ford/Lincoln electronic regulator. I got one from Amazon and replaced the regulator... problem fixed.
wheato22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Wheato22,

I have the same symptoms on my 1994 Signature.

Do you have a part number or model and year for the regulator?

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator