RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Most "memorable" eventful or uneventful trip.

We all prefer to have an uneventful RV trip with the motor home (aka NO PROBLEMS). My most remember-able trip that was "eventful" was a trip to the fuel station and wrapping the lower rear passenger storage compartments around a red steel 6" wide 3' tall pipe at the end of the fueling island. The fun and more damage done while several patrons of the station offered free advice on how to unwrap the storage doors from the island guard pipe. Sanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #2

Ouch. Mine just happened about 3 weeks ago, when I approached a picnic area entrance with too much speed. I didn't notice the dip in the pavement at the entrance, and bottomed out my front end really hard, to the point where the fiberglass cap on my generator tray ripped the screws out and was hanging out away from the body of the coach. Luckily I was able to repair it myself and now you can't tell it ever happened. Got lucky on that one...

RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The most recent was getting detoured and finding myself goind down a windy 10% downgrade on my second time towing the Jeep.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
In my previous fiver, the first trip and every trip thereafter it was so 'plagued'...
got to where I didn't want to rv anymore...

but we overcame it !
Old 05-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We had the most scary trip home last year coming across the Delaware Bay Bridge. As soon as we got on the bridge we heard a noice as if we had run over something. Looked out the passenger side mirror to see our awning had come open!! Talk about a pit in your stomach. We managed to crawl across the bridge, backing up traffic. The awning opened about 2 feet and stopped. Thankfully it got tangled. Pulled over at the first opportunity and got it untangled and rolled back in. Stomach took a couple of days to recover! Can only imagine the damage that would have been caused if a gust of wind had opened it completely. We definitely feel we had our RV angels with us on that one!

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #6

While traveling through Foley, AL. an elderly lady tried her damnest to merge into the storage bays on the drivers side. The scrapes start just after the front wheel well and continued to the rear bumper. To say the least I was not a happy camper. She said she never saw me?????? Nor heard my air horns????? The cops came, cited her, and took her license right on the spot. She was completely incoherent. I actually felt pretty sorry for her. No one hurt, and the damage was mostly cosmetic, which we had fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OUCH!!.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	94254  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Two years ago while headed south along the CA boarder to Quartzsite, DW noticed our water heater door hanging down to within a fraction of an inch of the road. I had to travel almost 5 miles along a narrow bumpy two lane road to find a place to pull over and secure it. Fortunately the only damage was a little rubbing along the hinge where the door banged as it hung downward. I don't know how we managed to avoid crunching the door into the pavement. Maybe I am being given a chance to reform.

Years ago my dad told me of a story about a trip they made back to Alabama in the 70's to help clean out my late grandmother's home. My mom found one of those family heirlooms that she had to have. It was a 48" round steel picnic table that had about 100 coats of house paint applied with sticks and old brushes.

Not having any good way to put the table inside the MH, Dad decided to lash it to the rear along side the ladder. He said he tied it off real good with a good rope.

During the trip, somewhere near no man's land, Dad noticed in the rear view mirror, what looked like the steel table flailing at the end of a long rope, swinging violently back and forth behind the MH. Before he could pull over, it was gone.

he didn't see in in the roadway, so it must have gone over the side.

When I asked him what he did next, he said "I stepped on the gas".
Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had just bought our first Motorhome it was a used 35' 93 Itasca Suncruiser. We had gone snowmobiling for the long weekend and were coming back from Diamond Lake down to Roseburg Or and we lost complete power the motor shut off...no motor no power brakes or steering...luckily we managed to get it stopped...cleaned ourselves up and got the MH started again. We got it off the mountain and heading south on I-5 when we lost power again by Myrtle Creek on a sharp 50 MPH corner. This time it would not start and I was ready to call the tow truck to pick us up. When on the last try it started again and we were able to drive it down to Medford to our friends shop Oregon Light Truck and RV. If I kept the RPM's under 3500 the engine would stay running but If I went over it would die. A couple of days later our friend called us up and told us that he found the problem. It turned out the prior owner put a lot of upgrades on the 454 which included an MSD ignition. When they pulled this off the motor it ran great and we had no further problems with the MH from that point forward. In fact this ended up being one of the best running MH's we had. It would pull our heavy 25' enclosed snowmobile trailer with ease. I miss that part of the MH but I don't miss the lack of slides and work out it was to drive vs our newer DP's.

wengayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent