Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Motorhome won't keep running

Have a 98 Monaco Signature with a M11 Cummins. temperature outside is 90 F.
Today when I started the coach it ran about 30 seconds then quit. I could start it if I waited a few seconds only to have the engine quit. I tried this several times only to have the engine stop. I left the coach for a couple of hours and was able to drive around the block only to have it stop again. It is if I shut the key off but don't the dash shuts off then a few seconds the dash lights up and then it will start only to stop a few seconds later.
I am on a trip and the coach has run great up until this point.
It started after my coach got stuck in the grass. The coach's right wheels sank into grass and I had to be towed out. I don't think this had anything to do with my problem as no mud was stuck to the undercarriage .
Has anyone had this happen or have any ideas. thank you
SteveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #2

Sounds like an electrical problem. First I would check the grounds around the frame to make sure one of them didn't get pulled loose when you were towed.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your dash lights go dead each times this happens, You have a power solonoid that is bad. The solonoid opens the fuel shut off valve and allows the fuel to flow to the engine. Remember diesels have no ignition and will run forever until you turn off the fuel. If your switch goes bad or the fuel solonoid goes bad you will lose fuel flow.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
JLF is right also. If you are losing battery power the same thing would happen.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Is this a relay or a solenoid ? the power solenoid sounds logical, do you have an idea where it is located? thanks for everyones ideas.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
.On Gulfstreams it is located in the elec. compartment by the left front wheel. In some other manuf. it is in the engine compartment. It is a solonoid.

it usually has two big wires. one coming in to each side and 1 or 2 small wires at the front.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I will try to locate the solenoid later. I know I have a couple of solenoids in the left front. Hopefully I will be able to hear it trying to work or feel it. thanks for the info. I am in Manitoba vacationing and I was told that the truck stops are eight days behind and I cannot wait that long. Once I locate the solenoid I should be able to jump it and keep the coach running but I will have to remove it to stop it running.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
fuel filter?
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Once I locate the solenoid I should be able to jump it and keep the coach running but I will have to remove it to stop it running.[/QUOTE]
That is exactly what I did when we had this happen on the way to RV shows. Take the large lead loose from one side of the solonoid and piggyback it to the other side,
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #10

steve
the ignition solenoid is in the front run bay (front driver side) ....there are two solenoids....one for "accessory" energized when key in accessory or run position .....and the other energizes a terminal strip in that bay for every thing with power when you turn the key to run position (small power wires on solenoid run to ignition switch and a local ground)
The solenoid is a continuous duty and sometimes need to be replaced.
MY best guess is this.....the power supply from the ignition switch to the solenoid has a bad spade connector at the switch itself..........I had to squeeze the spade to tighten the contact and problem fixed.
open the compartment ....put a volt meter on the small terminls at the solonoid and start the engine .....should read battery volts.....when it stalls if no volts you have a loose wire at the ignition switch (key)
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It's a new day and now I cannot get the problem to reoccur. I have bought a new solenoid to replace once I know which one is bad. I will also check the spade terminals at the ignition switch
Thank you for all the good ideas. Steve
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #12

Steve
In order to point you straight the problem has to be surfaced ....when it does....chech the voltage at the solonoid (small terminals) to confirm it
Something intermittent as you have points to loose spade terminals on the ignition switch itself.......carefully remove the screws and pull out the dash enough to access the rear of the switch and wiggle the wires to find the loose one (I have complete wireing drawing for my coach ...99 Exec and yours will be similar i suspect....if you need wire color codeing
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone , I replaced the solenoid and had no further problems for the rest of my trip.