RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Currently in the PNW, heading south and back to TX in October.
MotoSat HD dish issue

This is pretty stupid... I had an older DirecTV HD DVR and for the last 4 years or so everything worked fine. Then, my HD DVR stared to act up and DirecTV sent me a newer model. This model does not need the inline filters the old system did. The system installed fine, but then I noticed that I could not record a HD channel and watch (or record) a second channel, HD or otherwise.

To cut a long story short, I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the system. For those not familiar with this system, one of the LNB lines connects to the controller, and then a jumper cable on to the DVR. The controller uses this line for searching and then fine tuning to a satellite. I finally discovered that when the SD2 controller was hooked up, I had the problem, but if I took it off line it worked fine. I called MotoSat tech support and they said they were aware of this and there was no fix available. They suggested I get an AB switch at RadioShack and use it to switch manually between setup and normal operation.

I asked if there was an anticipated fix coming and they said no, no fixes were planned. Pretty poor customer support and reaction, in my opinion. I've spoken often of MotoSat's good customer support in the past, but If I had to choose between Motosat and Trav'ler today I would definitely NOT pick the MotoSat.

== John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
John......Are you running just one cable from the sat to the controller and then receiver? I'm currently running an HD receiver, but ordered a new DirecTV HDDVR this week. I know the new receivers can use just one cable to see two channels, versus the old system that required two cables.

At the FMCA Rally last week, I asked a sat salesman if I could run just one cable with the new DVR. He told me I could if I had a switch in mine (can't recall what he called it). If I didn't, I would have to run two cables.

Sooooo......can you connect a second line from a second LNB on your sat and solve the issue? My sat knowledge is not the greatest, but I thought I would through this out to you.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #3

This can be very complicated. I have read where you cannot use the newer HR24's with a Motosat or Traveler. The new stick house systems use a different antenna system called SWM. These only require one wire into the house. The RV systems are not SWM. There is a device called an SWM8 which can be used in a stick house to make an old antenna into a SWM system. I dont know how that would work with an RV system SWM is Single Wire Multiswitch. If you do not get an answer here ask this on the Datastorm Forum or the Sat. forum on Escapees. Don Marr or Bill are experts on this subject. Probaly using an older Rcvr. would solve the problem. What model do you have? We replaced our H20 with a H21 but they are not DVR's. Sat TV has gone from something very simple to a complicated subject. BTW: I too would never buy another Motosat. We are in Tucson and it took about 25 minutes to find the satellite!!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
moisheh and others.......I called Winegard today to confirm the installation of HR24 HDDVR. They said I would need the SWM8 components to run the new HR24 with just one cable. The said it will work fine if I use two cables, the way the older units were connected.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Currently in the PNW, heading south and back to TX in October.
Diplomat Don and others: I have copied below the detailed response I got from MotoSat. In short, the MotoSat SD2 controller will not work correctly with the newer DirecTV receivers unless you add an AB switch and switch every time you set up, or pull a third line from the dish to the controller. I'm not sure how Winegrad does this, they may need the same setup. At least something you should ask if you're buying one.

== John

"DirecTV's HD Satellites come in on KA band at different frequencies than do the regular KU band satellites. Previously, DirecTV had made what they call BBC's ( B-Band Converters) which convert the KA band frequencies to an acceptable range that the DirecTV receiver can read. These were previously outside of the DirecTV receiver, that would be hooked to the incoming coax cable. When you add a MotoSAT NomadSD2 into the system you would place the BBC between the controller and the dish on the roof. This would allow all the signals to pass to the DirecTV receiver.

What has happened in your particular case is the receiver you have does not have external BBC's , they are built into the receiver. So, when you add the MotoSAT NomadSD2 to the system you are not able to put BBC's between the NomadSD2 and the dish on the roof to allow the signals to properly come to the DirecTV receiver. This is not necessarily a problem with the MotoSAT system, but more of a design change by DirecTV that has now rendered standard MotoSAT installation ineffective and requiring a different setup then previously used. With that being said, there are other ways to make the system operational, you do not have to use an A/B switch but since your system is already installed it is the easiest option. Another option is to run an extra coax cable from the dish to the NomadSD2 dedicated for pointing the system, then use the other two existing coax cables to run Tuner 1 and Tuner 2."

From Mitch Collins, MotoSat
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish