Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mounting a Wilson RV roof antenna

I will shortly be mounting a Wilson RV roof antenna on our 2007 Diplomat.

For various connection reasons I plan to mount it right over my head on the drivers seat. Is any of you aware of structural elements or cabling that I should worry about before drilling through the entire construction in this place?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to check around up there for a 2"-3" high by 1"-1 1/4" high cell antenna. I realize my coach is older and not the same model, but our coach had a Wilson cell phone antenna mounted from the factory with the attached RG58 cable behind the dash panel. The cell antenna used a Motorola NMO mount. I used mine for a 2m/70cm ham radio antenna, but there are plenty of NMO mount antennas for cell service out there.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Danes

I mounted the same antenna as you have , I installed it above the cabinet that has the drivers shade mounted under it. You will need envy bit of the threaded rod to get thru the roof and headliner if you mount it there. If you mount it above the drivers area light, you might need to hide some of the threaded rod.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had to mount mine at the rear of the coach because I installed an amplifier and inside antenna, with a 20' distance split requirement. Not wanting to drill the roof at the rear and fish the cable, I just made a bracket and ran the cable along the roof to above the amp, and then through the roof.
This is just example of another way to mount the antenna.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What are your experiences with low hanging branches and other obstacles?

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
What are your experiences with low hanging branches and other obstacles?

Paul
Right now -none, but I will not expect this antenna to be much higher than anything else I have mounted on the roof. Also - the Wilson antenna is spring mounted.

I don't normally go where branches or the like gets anywhere close to my roof, so I don't foresee a problem here.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
I will shortly be mounting a Wilson RV roof antenna on our 2007 Diplomat.

For various connection reasons I plan to mount it right over my head on the drivers seat. Is any of you aware of structural elements or cabling that I should worry about before drilling through the entire construction in this place?
Hendrik,

I replaced the original CB antenna in the center of the roof. I wanted to connect the ground plane to the steel frame in the front cap. I was able to do this by drilling out the original hole and mounting the new antenna on a 6"x6" plate. I fished the cable through and down the left side panel near the driver. The plate was mounted to the fiberglass front cap with stainless steel screws and then everything was sealed. You might be able to use the same approach at the rubber radio antenna position just over the driver. I don't know about you, but we don't use that antenna and listen to XM.

Hope you and Harry have fun at Bills shock party. Bill tells me he will be the tool fetcher and you the down under guy. Guess Harry will supervise.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Hendrik,

I replaced the original CB antenna in the center of the roof. I wanted to connect the ground plane to the steel frame in the front cap. I was able to do this by drilling out the original hole and mounting the new antenna on a 6"x6" plate. I fished the cable through and down the left side panel near the driver. The plate was mounted to the fiberglass front cap with stainless steel screws and then everything was sealed. You might be able to use the same approach at the rubber radio antenna position just over the driver. I don't know about you, but we don't use that antenna and listen to XM.

Hope you and Harry have fun at Bills shock party. Bill tells me he will be the tool fetcher and you the down under guy. Guess Harry will supervise.

Bob

Maybe I would be better of doing it your way because we don't use the CB antenna either. I could just shorten the threaded rod and put a nut just behind the 6"x6" plate.

I didn't know that Harry would be there but I hope that you are right. That would be fun.

We are not letting Bill of the hook that easy because I am bringing my own tool fetcher to the meeting.

Thanks Bob.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I heard the Wilson antenna would thread directly to the factory CB antenna mount. If true, what would be the problem with using that mount and pre-existing wiring?
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have Hendrik`s antenna here in my shop, so Harry & Hendrik can have a antenna party after the shock party -- It`ll be a wild time here in Gilbert, AZ. on Jan 2nd -- Temps will be in the low 70`s -- Ya`ll come -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Danes,

I mounted the same antenna about 8 months ago. Also right over my head. It was close but I had enough threaded rod. It is also the highest point on the coach but have had no problems with branches. Antenna works great with the built in ground plane design. Now I'd just like to find a better AM/FM radio antenna instead of the one that came from Monaco. Works terrible!

Ted
teddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I mounted the same antenna on our '03 Dynasty a few years ago. Mine is on the roof along the curbside right above an overhead cabinet. Before I drilled thru the roof I wanted to make sure there were no structural members, wiring or other obstructions. Fortunately one of the small recessed light fixtures is near the place where I wanted to drill the hole. After temporarily removing the light, I probed with a bent coat-hanger wire... made sure that nothing (but fiberglass insulation) would be in the way. After that I drilled a very small diameter hole in the roof and checked again with the probe before drilling to the size needed for the mount.

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #13

So how do you connect that Wilson antenna to your cellphone????
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as the roof, the only worry would be the overhead light power wires.

However I would not mount that antenna where tree limbs and other low-hanging stuff (Spanish Moss here in S. Georgia) can snag it and turn it into a very expensive pretzel.

Tags
antenna, roof