Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

Mounting an interior mirror

My question could be asked in any general rv forum. But I have great faith in the collective knowledge in this forum! The question does not relate to a Monaco. Our other coach is a Classic Bluebird. The rear bedroom has 4 mirrored doors for a storage closet. They are hinged plywood doors covered with mirrors. Approx. 18x15. The Bird is 31 years young. The mirrors were held on with some double faced tape. In the summer the unit is stored in my Mexican shop. Temps get to 100 plus. 2 days ago I was inside working on some wiring for my inverter. I had to open one of those mirrored doors and the mirror came off in my hands. Too much heat. I had some regular double faced carpet tape. Scraped off the old tape and reinstalled the mirror. It seemed to help well. But one hour later the mirror fell off. Cracked! What is the best tape to use? I cannot use foam tape as the other mirrors are held on by a thin tape. The 4 doors have to be in line and even . I do not want to have a problem. I have used 3M VHB for other purposes but not sure I can get that in Mexico. Would standard mirror tape suffice? Any other ideas? Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't trust anything except the 3M VHB, and lots of it! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tape and heat never worked well for me in our RV. That 3M VHB is the only one I trust. I would probably add some mirror mounting clips too.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #4

Ditto on adding mounting clips.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
wife mounted our mirror with liquid nails
Old 11-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I cannot use clips as the mirror is larger than the plywood by design. I thought of liquid nails but I would have to remove the door. hard to explain but that is a real task. When Bluebird puts something together is hard to remove!
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 11-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #7

Check with any local glass shop and or Amazon for Gunthers Mirror Bond. It's used to secure large mirrors to wood and sheetrock. It comes in a caulking tube. Easy to apply. After application, tape the mirror at all four corners until cured. https://www.amazon.com/Gunther-Mirro...s%2C276&sr=8-9

Sometimes using the wrong adhesives can ruin the mirror backing.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #8

Monaco Wolfy: Thanks for that great link.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 11-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Is it possible to mount a channel on the bottom of the mirror to support it?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a (approx) 6 ft x 4 ft mirror (the one in the photo) following advice from this forum (might have come from Monaco Wolfy) and it has worked out very well. The wood it mounted to was thin (maybe 1/4") so I wanted to use every possible method to ensure success.

I used a mirror mounting channel on the bottom (that supports the mirror weight while adhesive is drying and adds backup support). I think the bottom channel was very necessary to make sure mirrir stayed in position while adhesive dried. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the bottom "channel", you have to (are supposed to) put cushioning for the glass to rest on. I used theses https://www.amazon.com/CRL-16-Neopre...s%2C164&sr=1-4

Then put Gunther mirror mounting adhesive on the back https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used to small mirror clips at the top to hold mirror while adhesive set up (but this step could be skipped). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaver Living Room photo 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	267667  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #11

There is no way to use anything on the bottom. Let's use 15 by18 as the size of the mirror. The door is only 15 by 16.5. So the mirror is flush with the door on 2 sides. But the mirror extends below the door on the bottom and slightly above the top of the door. Somehow it held just fine for 31 years. There are 4 doors across the rear of the unit behind the bed. When the doors are closed it gives the appearance of a solid wall of mirrors. I am thinking that I should remove the door and install the mirror on a bench giving it time to set. That mirror glue seems like the best option. I am in Mexico and the big city near us has tons of glass and mirror shops. Wealthy Mexicans have lots of fancy mirrors in their homes. Hopefully one of them will have the correct glue. I appreciate all the help as I had never heard of that glue.
2009 Silverado Toad

Tags
interior