RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Stevepkam Send a message via Yahoo to Stevepkam
Mudflap Size

I had a solid mudflap installed on my 2011 Monarch before a cross-country trip we are starting on Monday. The mudflap is 20 inches and only has a 1 1/2" clearance from the street.
It looks to me that the slightest dip in the road will make the rear end of my coach smash the flap into the road. I expected the mudflap to be attached with 2 carabiners so it could swing but it is screwed into a bracket that runs the full width of the coach.
The technician said he started out with a 16 " flap but was concerned that too many stones would still hit the toad so he picked the 20' version.
He is willing to change it. I don't have too much time to test this out.
Please, any comments from the group.

Stevepkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just rebuilt my solid rubber mudflap. The 1 1/2 inch off the ground is fine. However you should have it so it will swing back & fourth.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Factory installed mudflap has a couple of "chain links" for fore and aft flexibility. A rigid install is asking for trouble. How will you lower the MH before leveling?
1-1/2 to 2 inches is a good distance from the ground with airbags pressurized..
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Mudflaps that come in contact with the road kick up stones and debris.

Those of us that have raised our mudflaps don't have toad damage.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Steve.....Since you don't have airbags, you don't need to worry about crushing the flap when parked. The length of your coach can also have an affect on the flap length. Coaches with long overhangs are more apt to drag the flap. Drive the coach down the road while some one follows. Try to find some roads with a dip or two to see if the flap hits the ground under normal driving conditions.

Even though you don't have airbags, the solid mount flap is going to get a lot of lower edge wear going up and down driveways and the like.

The best choice would be to go with the 16" flap, have him bolt a solid brace across the top and then hang it with chains and carabiners (sp). When you hang a rubber flap, you need to make sure that you bolt the chains to the flap about two inches wider than where they're bolted to the frame. This keeps the flap from moving side to side.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mine (factory) hangs from chains
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My 2 cents, for what it's worth. Change back to the 16" mudflap.

Here's why I say that. Our coach came with a rear mudflap that had about
1 1/2", maybe 2" clearance on a flat floor. By the time I realized that the mudflap was the problem, our toad was substantially damaged.

I cut exactly 4 inches off the bottom, and there are no more stones and gravel hitting out toad now! I'm thinking of trimming off another inch, because I cut that 4" off in a bit of a hurry when we were on the road, and I didn't make a very neat job.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Stevepkam Send a message via Yahoo to Stevepkam
Thanks to all about mud flap info I brought it back and they cut the top part back and hung it from caribeeners so it could swing. Needed to reroute gen set exhaust so it exited before the mud flap.
Stevepkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Also, if only 1.5" off the ground. Don't strattle any road debris, including turtles. Friend of ours hit one with his flap, a horrible bloody mess on the toad, and a V'ed flap.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
4~5" off the ground is needed to prevent toad damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
Also, if only 1.5" off the ground. Don't strattle any road debris, including turtles. Friend of ours hit one with his flap, a horrible bloody mess on the toad, and a V'ed flap.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #11

Installed new UltraGuard last year, along with the optional stainless dress-up plate. UltraGuard recommends a minimum flap-to-ground clearance of 4"....mine is 4 1/2". Had to trim it a bit....trimmed top of flap. Have not noticed any toad damage thus far (knock on wood time!), and the 4 1/2" distance allows clearance for the flap during leveling and air down. Seems that only 1 1/2" clearance would be insufficient for a lot of reasons. Just MO...