RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 08:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Multi topic: Sheppard M80 pump, Eaton diff oil, and dash gauges ground

First question. I have a Sheppard M80 steering box on my coach. Iíve read about how the M80/M100 have play in them and are not adjustable. Mine has some play, but Id like to keep my M80 box for now, and am wondering about what routine maintenance to do.
It is slightly hard to steer when I try to turn the wheel from a dead stop. And also there is a groaning sound (When turning the wheel) when I take sharp turns. Iím not sure if there are steering or suspension issues.

Second question is about the rear differential. I canít quite make out the model number, but I know itís an Eaton. The bottom drain plug is a little loose, and itís been leaking. It looks like itís just been leaking fro around the plug, and not from gasket. I want to drain and refill it. I was reading another thread about this, and that person said his Eaton takes MIL-L-2105D (which is now MIL-L-2105E) gear oil. The only one I could find is Red Line 57904. And since it takes 15 quarts, it's around 200$ just in gear oil. Canít I just use some GL5 75w90? I think thatís basically what the MIL spec oil is.

Third question is about the dash gauges. My oil pressure and voltage gauge both peg out when I start the engine. The oil pressure I see fluctuate somewhat, but it stays higher than it should be. The voltage gauge stays stuck at 18v when the engine is on. It goes back to around 12v with the engine off. Yes I have checked with a multi meter to make sure the alternator isnít putting out 18v. Itís around 13.7v with the engine running.
Also the speedo is jumpy, and the tach reads higher than the actual RPM sometimes. Iíve read there is a ground for all of the gauges behind the dash. Iíve tried pulling he dash cluster but all the gauges are tied in with wiring. I think the ground might be in the front compartment where I access the generator. Anyone who has troubleshot this issue, can you tell me where you found the ground for the gauges?

Thanks guys. I figured it would be better if I grouped some of my issues together instead of making 3 separate threads.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 09:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Oh and I forgot to add, this is the thread I found about changing the diff oil that mentioned the spec

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/chan...il-413048.html
Old 01-15-2021, 10:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jerry, from the groaning sound you may need to check the hydraulic system. Make sure the reservoir is full of the proper oil and the hoses are not leaking. Most of these have a filter inside the reservoir. You almost need to drain it to clean the filter and then refill with the proper oil.
As far as replacing the Sheppard steering box, it just depends on how long you're keeping this coach.

There are several quality gear oils out there that meet the spec. I'd try searching online and then check pricing at www.summitracing.com.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-122035-1

I also had an issue with the oil pressure gauge and it was the sending unit. Pretty easy to fix. It sounds like you have several gauges jumping around. I'd add a new ground wire from one of the existing dash grounds and run it out above the generator. Just make sure it is attached to something that's a good ground.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I’ll have to research the Sheppard system a little more. I just located the manual for the M80/M100 systems online. I’ll have to read up on it and figure out the proper fluid etc.

I was having some issues finding gear oil by searching the mil spec. I’ll try to get more creative with my searches. I saw that Eaton has their own brand of gear oil under the Road Ranger name. But I’m not sure if that’s just for their new products. I’m probably better off buying a 5 gallon pale instead of 15 quart bottles. I can just pump it in.
I am curious why the bottle plug is loose. It’s not so loose that it’s hand right, but I could easily move it with a ratchet.

I am considering getting a Scan gauge D or similar and just saying screw or with the gauges, but that won’t help me if I have a bad sender. Assuming the ECU and gauges use the same senders. So if I could fix the gauges by fixing the ground that would be great. I might try running a jumper wire to one of the gauges to a good known ground to see if it fixes it, and then running a permanent ground for a long term fix.
I found an 8 awg ground wire that goes to the frame by the gen. The screw holding it was rusty and broke when I wiggles it. I drilled a new hole and burnished it, and reinstalled the cable. But that one didn’t fix my gauges. Maybe it fixed something else I didn’t even know was broken

My coach has some surface rust underneath. I think most likely from being stored over grass. It doesn’t look like road salt rust. The area forward of the front tires is the worst.

Thanks for your help Vito
Old 01-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1. I have no knowledge of the steering box - yet.

2. I had my differential oil done at Speedco. I showed the spec on my manual, same as yours. They went to the back to check and said they have that. The receipt said they used "Spirax S6 75W90SYN Gear oil" , $137.95 total.
Looking at Amazon, the same Spirax oil alone would have been $220.00. Seems like Speedco is a lot cheaper and easier than doing it myself.

3. Do you know if your system has an oil pressure switch or an actual sender?
There were lots of system changes on those in the 90s and 2000s as electronics developed (from "direct drive" to ASIC to Micro driven stepper motor gages).
If it is just a switch, it will not cause the gage to peg as it will only close or open the loop to ground. The electronics control the gage from there.
Also, since other gages are also pegging out or erratic, it must be something else.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a link to Steering Components teck tips

https://www.irv2.com/forums/newreply...te=1&p=5597587
Pretty good description of checking, maintaining, and adjusting different manufacturers.

I have a copy of this saved in my Chassis Folder along with a lot of other information. I also have a Sheppard box but fortunately mine is tight, one finger on the steering wheel tight, but always interested in how to maintain the components on my rig.

Keep us posted on your findings.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #7

Also...From what I have read Maoaco was all over the place on hyd. oil used Dextron, AW 46 and even 15-40w . AW46 the most popular. The years this happened I'm not certain of its hard to get or remember that info. From what I understand 15-40w can cause higher than necessary pressure.It may cause cause groaning when cold.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I noticed there is a hyd reservoir in the back basement by the jack reservoir and air dryer. Could this be for the steering? Is the pump engine driven?

The Sheppard manual mentions the pump and reservoir, but of course doesnít say where they are on my chassis (Roadmaster). It also lists all the fluids that are acceptable. Man there are a lot of choices.

Re the oil pressure gauge. Iím not sure if itís a switch or a sender. It does move down somewhat when I slow down, but then pegs again at 120 psi. It seems like itís just 50 psi high all the time (it rests at 50 psi with the engine off). But yes I agree that itís probably one issue causing all the gauge problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03C4DFFE-D192-4454-A388-1ACCC858CC18.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	314656  
Old 01-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I was taking a long time to post, and you guys added some info. Thanks, I’ll check it out

Edit: So if mine has red fluid I assume it’s trans fluid. If it’s not red, how would I know what fluid I have? And should I completely drain it before filling with another approved fluid?
Old 01-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Look at the reservoir carefully to see if it says what type.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to trace the hose to the reservoir.

Since you don't have a hydraulic fan this probably is the power steering reservoir, not sure what else it could be.
Do you know if there is an external filter on the power steering circuit, if not it may be in the tank itself.

I have a larger tank since they hydraulic pump services the fan and power steering. There are 3 stacked filters in the tank itself.

On my Cummins there are 2 oil pressure sending units, one for the gauges and one for the ECM. Both mine are proportional and not switches.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #12

Your really going to want to know exactly which rear axle you have.

Mine doesn't take synthetic oil.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have the data sheet for my rig, it lists most of the major components by manufacture, model, with SN. I had the hard copy but also got a digital copy from Monaco not too long after I bought my coach. You might try contacting REV and see if they can provide.

My rear axle is an Eaton / 19060S, differential is U012192947 with a 4:30 ratio
Old 01-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #14

Jim, what does your manual say it takes for lube?

Mine is a Dana 1960S. Calls for standard 80W-90 API GL-5 non synthetic.

Tags
dash, gauges, pump