RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Must read experience

Information

Traveling along Hwy 97 in eastern Oregon, we stopped to buy groceries in a gravel parking lot. A slight turn got us in and off we went to the store. My wife did the driving, so I can blame her for this. :-) When we left I noticed the RV steering wheel was not centered on the RV, in fact, was about 30 degrees to the right. Went about 2 miles and turned into a truck repair shop. The owner came out and crawled under and found nothing. He said he didn't have time to look into it because of the weekend traffic. Off to bend we went, crocked wheel and all. Nothing there so we went to our destination near Sisters. As we were going through the town, a guy pulled up yelling at us that the front wheels of our towed Jeep were dragging. I pulled over into a parking area and got out to look at the Jeep. Both front wheels were turned all the way to the right.
I started the Jeep and straightened the wheel. Got out and saw the left front tire was down to the wire. A few more miles and it would have blown. I thanked the guy and took it to Les Schwab. They had no tire that would fit. So, I had them put the spare on. We had dragged the tire 40 miles.
What had happened was as we went into the gravel lot, the wheel was turned slightly to the right. When I left, the wheel turned all the way to the right and locked up.
Big lessen not in the owners manual. Who would have thought?

RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #2

Did the steering jam to the right , or did the sharp turn engage the column lock ? Many Chrysler products only lock the column , with the wheel 180 degrees from straight ahead.
If you don't run a windshield cover on the toad, consider putting a flag on the top center of the steering wheel, when hooking up.
Visible in the camera, the flag gives a quick reference to proper toad steering wheel position, after any maneuver .

Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good info.....I always look when I first connect my truck and make my first turn, but I usually don't look to often after that.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Information

<snip>As we were going through the town, a guy pulled up yelling at us that the front wheels of our towed Jeep were dragging. <snip>
What year and model Jeep were you pulling?

Rob
AirManFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Did the steering jam to the right , or did the sharp turn engage the column lock ? Many Chrysler products only lock the column , with the wheel 180 degrees from straight ahead.
If you don't run a windshield cover on the toad, consider putting a flag on the top center of the steering wheel, when hooking up.
Visible in the camera, the flag gives a quick reference to proper toad steering wheel position, after any maneuver .
love this idea!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #6

The Jeep is a 2005 Wrangler. And yes, I always look back to see if the wheels are turning when I first pull out and turning. The steering wheel locked to the right, but I didn't check to see if the column locking was engage , or not.
The end of the story. We had to replace both front tires and do a alinement.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
The Jeep is a 2005 Wrangler. And yes, I always look back to see if the wheels are turning when I first pull out and turning. The steering wheel locked to the right, but I didn't check to see if the column locking was engage , or not.
The end of the story. We had to replace both front tires and do a alinement.
At least the jeep was strong suspension wise and you didn't break or bend anything. I have seen under some other brands (no bashing) and see how cheaply made they are.
Chad
onechaddude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you I like the flag idea. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Yep, been doing that everytime we've towed four down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
At least the jeep was strong suspension wise and you didn't break or bend anything. I have seen under some other brands (no bashing) and see how cheaply made they are.
Chad
Must have done some bending as they had to have an alignment done.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to get it re-aligned and the alignment tech needs to know it's a towed car.

One of the things I am in the habbit of doing is checking the tires on the towed via the rear view mirror as I go around gentel curves to make sure things like this are avoided. Alas, I might see a tire on the lock, but if the steering is locked I won't see that.