Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #295

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a brief update, my neighbors left so I went up the tree to retrieve my dish. I reconnected it to my laptop and pointed the dish towards the office (AP). I still couldn't see "Gate 5" on the wireless tab. I then unplugged the power cord and loaded everything into the car and replugged the power cord into my mini inverter. I drove to the office and parked 5 feet away. I stuck the dish out the window and pointed it directly towards the wireless router. I rescanned the wireless tab to find "Gate 5". It was not on the list nor Gate 5's IP or MAC values. So, as Bob suggested, I manually inputted Gate 5 in the SSID field, the corresponding MAC address and the password. I then opened up a new Google tab and fired up a YouTube video and it ran at 1080p without issue! Success! Now I need to remount the dish and use the aiming tab to get the best signal. I'm still not sure why the wireless tab didn't see Gate 5, but manually entering made it work.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #296

Monaco Owners Club
As a general rule, you never need to worry about MAC addresses. I wish Myron had not spent so much time on them as people now can't stop talking about them!

I think your issue is the same one I mentioned earlier. The reason you never saw the network is because you weren't scrolling the page down....

This is why I mentioned just entering the SSID and password into the wireless tab. It was a workaround. Either way, I'm glad it worked for you!

Once you have it back at the lot try aligning it with the tool. Ideally you want your signal to be around -65 Proper dish alignment is important if you want it to always work seamlessly in all kinds of weather. The lower the number, the stronger the signal.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #297

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It works!!! I remounted the dish in the tree and gave it a better eyeball aim. Plugged in the LAN to the laptop and was able to run a YouTube video at 1080p resolution. Next, I plugged the LAN into my new Lynxsys router and was able to see it on my laptop (2.4 gHz) and phone (5 gHz). I was able to run a YouTube video on my phone at 2160 resolution, which I never new existed. I turned my laptop over to my wife. She's been trying to input data for our local library, but the computer kept crashing when using her phone as a hotspot. She's happy now!

Thanks to Bob and Myron for all your help!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #298
YC1

What kind of signal level did you see when you went to the alignment page?

Sorry mac, I mean Bob.
I didn't mean to hijack the thread for sure. Inquiring minds just need input.

I received the tcp/ip book from Douglas Comer. It reads well and has enlightened me but I still have not gotten to the root of one of my questions which I will not digress here again.

Thanks for the information on the book. I read it through quickly and will go through much slower now.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #299

Monaco Owners Club
I hear you

Comer is great and does a fantastic job of laying the foundation of TCP/IP networking. I was fortunate enough to be involved from early on and even got to 'talk' to Jon Postel back in the day and numerous other luminaries. Before DNS an 'address' book of IP addresses used to be distributed on floppy disks and 'sneakernet' was the method of updating and bringing new systems on-line.

There was another networking book I was going to recommend but can't come up with its name. You can look into Layer 2 Switching to see how MAC addressing works and why it was invented.

I remember when layer 2 switching was invented but could not afford one. I had to live with a 24 port 100TX hub from 3com that cost over $1,500 !! Those were the days when wide area networking and local area networking were really being developed. Thicknet and later, Thinnet were the norm with 50ohm terminators. Oh, and Token Ring and OS/2 were competing to be the network of choice
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:05 AM   #300

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Bob, I'm back needing your expert help. Sorry.

We are in a State Park with no wifi but I found an open signal less than a mile away, but still can't get wifi.

I uploaded your file again just to make sure I had all settings correct. I then changed location to USA and applied changes. That is the only change I made...I'm learning.

Do these screen shots help you determine my problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (2).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	340218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (3).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	340219  

Name:	Screenshot (4).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	340220  
Old 08-20-2021, 07:59 AM   #301
YC1

Paul, did you use the alignment screen to get the best signal?

Your signal strength is getting down into the weeds. That shows you your receive strength only and not the strength the other end is receiving from you. It takes both paths with good strength to work properly.

It would be nice if all devices could be looped back to test the signal strength. I'm an RF guy versus a digital guy. So signal strength and RF pathways are my world of expertise.

A mile is a long long way for a signal in this frequency band to travel without an absolute clear path. The other end has a weak transmitter compared to yours so you may be hammering it with a great signal but the return path is showing you could use some better signal.

In a normal RF signal strength world that -89 would be sufficient but Bob indicates in previous posts that these require a bit better to perform. Their signal strength meter may not be calibrated to my years of experienced brain. Usually digital signals can be sorted out with even weaker signals that normal do to the fact that basically it is morse code being sorted and the systems have systems of fixing lost bits of information.

So try a better alignment if Bob does not come on line shortly. At that distance just a fraction of an inch can cause poor signal to noise ratio issues.

Aligning microwave dishes over many miles a simple quarter of a turn on an alignement nut can make huge changes.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #302

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Paul, did you use the alignment screen to get the best signal?

Your signal strength is getting down into the weeds. That shows you your receive strength only and not the strength the other end is receiving from you. It takes both paths with good strength to work properly.

It would be nice if all devices could be looped back to test the signal strength. I'm an RF guy versus a digital guy. So signal strength and RF pathways are my world of expertise.

A mile is a long long way for a signal in this frequency band to travel without an absolute clear path. The other end has a weak transmitter compared to yours so you may be hammering it with a great signal but the return path is showing you could use some better signal.

In a normal RF signal strength world that -89 would be sufficient but Bob indicates in previous posts that these require a bit better to perform. Their signal strength meter may not be calibrated to my years of experienced brain. Usually digital signals can be sorted out with even weaker signals that normal do to the fact that basically it is morse code being sorted and the systems have systems of fixing lost bits of information.

So try a better alignment if Bob does not come on line shortly. At that distance just a fraction of an inch can cause poor signal to noise ratio issues.

Aligning microwave dishes over many miles a simple quarter of a turn on an alignement nut can make huge changes.

Hope this helps.
Hi Myron, thanks for your reply. I meant to state the signal is .1 miles away, according to the main screen. I think it’s actually a little further as I walked there with my cell phone to confirm it was an open signal with no security. It’s maybe a quarter-mile from my dish on the roof.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #303

Monaco Owners Club
I slightly moved the dish position to the east and everything fired up. Streaming YouTubeTV while on my iPad. Thanks again Bob.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #304
YC1

Did you check the alignment screen?

What is your signal strength now. This feedback will help others in the future.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:01 AM   #305

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry but I don’t know where to find the alignment screen. Signal strength is -79 dBm. Everything is working great though.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #306
YC1

Top right section, Tools. Select that and a drop down screen should come up.

Looks like you have gained about 10 db in signal strength. That is ten times better than you had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alignment screen.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	340549  

Old 08-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #307

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Top right section, Tools. Select that and a drop down screen should come up.

Looks like you have gained about 10 db in signal strength. That is ten times better than you had.
Thanks for that tip. I was unaware of the antenna alignment feature. I was able to get it to 75 db.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:32 AM   #308
YC1

It might not seem like much looking at the signal strength meter but the improvement you made is about 25 times higher in power level.

Your first readings were down in the weeds. The signal strength will not tell you how the other end is receiving either. Their receiver characteristics and local (electrical noise) could be worse there.

For example, if a large power substation is nearby or the other end is in a high RF Environment it could have a (noise floor) that is like sitting in a restaurant with lots of people and the background music play loudly. The signal is strong enough, that is you are talking in a normal voice level across the table but do to the noise the other person cannot hear you. So you need to increase your level (db) signal to overcome that. Of course these little critters have a really hot transmitter and are probably hammering the other end which can be problematic if you saturate the other end with too much signal.

Ok, sorry for the RF lesson but hope this helps folks understand the importance of the Signal Strength and getting the alignment as good as possible.

Tags
wifi