Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #15

That hole you see is a way into the dog house for the dogs. The previous owner made it for his dogs but it is perfect. The inside of the bed are is a great dog house and it has a floor in their. The dogs love being close to us when they sleep so it will work out great.

Has it taken longer tha I thought? No, I gutted the RV so I knew how much work was involved. The flooring is the easy part it is the trim and putting everything back together. I just found out I need to have major back surgery in a few weeks at UCSF so I will be completely out of commission for sometime. Need to get it done this week. I still need to get to the shop so they can do the recall on my refridgerator too. Life goes on. But it will be worth all th effort bcause as put things back together I am doing it right instead of the way it was slapped together.

Jim
Jimmyzw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I am doing it right instead of the way it was slapped together.

Jim[/QUOTE]
The workers on the assembly line were just there for a paycheck. The reconstruction process takes considerable thought and planning, especially if you change from carpet to a hard surface. The only way to do the job is to completely remove all floorcovering being especially diligent to check out the slides and rollers as Jim did. Very nice job!
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #17

I spent about 5 hours last night rebuilding the entry steps and putting laminate on the sides. Think I will still use the rubber treads and the little holding area under one. Pictures to come. I ended up using brass screws in a nice line to hold the laminate in place up against the sides of the entry and glued them with liquid nails and wood glue for the joints. This area was a rattle box going down the road. Most of the rattle noise was because the steel that holds the steps had come un-welded over time. I rewelded and used screws to make it stronger than ever. Need to get the slide done now. I did get my new drivers dash yesterday for all of the switches and transmission buttons so today I will put that back together.
Jimmyzw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #18
JDT

Nice job. We are planning on doing the same thing to our Ambassador. Right now I'm trying decide on the Allure type or Pergo. Since I've had an occasional leak that refuses to be found, I'm thinking Allure right now.

I love your "pooters". We have 2 of them and description fits. But, they are such joyful and fun loving dogs that we overlook their little faults. We've had Bostons since the early 80's and wouldn't have any other kind.

JimT
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #19

Finishing my Laminate

This weekend we pretty much finished up our laminate install. The slide was an issue, figuring out how to make that work with the rollers in the floor, so what I did was to make sure it was all perfectly adjusted and then because once the couches are in ( we are going with two couches instead of a dinette) the weight might be an issue. When there was carpet no big deal the bottom of the slide could slip across the carpet but with the laminate it will scratch it. So what I did was go to Tap Plastics and bought some two inch wide two feet long strips of cutting board plastic and sanded the one end to a point and mounted four strips to the bottom of the slide when it was all the way out. Now when it comes in and goes out it slides on the cutting board plastic and won't damage the laminate. I wanted to keep the weight down so I used only 20 inches of Birch 7 ply 1/2 inch plywood and hung it over enough to cover the rollers and then put the laminate and trim on that board. The wife coated the rest of the white slide floor with contact paper as it won't be seen behind the couches anyways. Two couches, one with a bed and the other will have a table in front of it with drop leaf's. Thinking about a bench for the other side so we can seat more people for meals.

One thing is for sure this thing went back together with all the loving care and perfectionism that makes me crazy. If it is not perfect I will tear it out and redo it. The only thing left is the stair treads and to install the new couches when they arrive. The local RV place called and they have my Norcold recall parts for the refridgerator. Now I have to worry about them damaging the floor I just put in. Oh and the kitchen slide was a breeze because it has four rollers and two of those are fully adjustable it works like a charm, just had to make sure the laminate went under far enough for the rollers to ride on when adjusted. It was the level floor driver slide that was the issue.
Here are some more photo's of where we are? Next, install the new Koni FSD shocks and go through the fluids, fuel lines and all that. I go in for back surgery in a few weeks to have a disk removed and two lumbar vertebrae fused. At 43 I have the back of an 90 yr old with 8 to 12 bulging disks with degenerative issues from working at BART as a mechanic for years. I am trying to get as much done before that surgery happens. Enjoy the pictures.

Oh yeah and the drivers side dash with the transmission buttons and all switches is new, you know how all the corners where the screws break because they didn't properly countersink and overtightened the screws from the factory. I bought a new one through MTO RV Parts that has a banner at the top of the forums pages. It was a bit expensive but it came quickly and in perfect condition. They are excellent to deal with, I fully recommend them. They were also helping me try to find another roller to add to the middle of the floor for the slide until I decided to go with the plastic slider strips.

Jim and Theresa
and The Pooters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00142-20100228-1943.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	3220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00143-20100228-1943.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	3221