Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 02:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mysterious Fresh Water Fill

Last week we spent 3 days at a nearby rv park. I only filled the fresh water tank to 50% before we left. The 2nd day I noticed water draining out of the fresh water overflow line. I checked the fresh water gauge. It was at 100%. I checked the water fill valve. It was at Local Supply. What can cause the fresh water tank to fill when the valve is at Local Supply?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150726_002039.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	101127  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 04:44 AM   #2

I don't have a schematic of your water system, but if your water pump is on the pressure side of the city water coming into the coach, it could have a leak back issue going back into the tank due to the pump valve not hold the pressure.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Probably time to replace the two way valve. Seems to be bypassing water when closed.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:58 AM   #4

I agree that it could be going back through the pump. It's happened to me.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. At least I now have a place to start looking. I did replace the original water pump last Feb when in Death Valley. No problems since then until last week. At least I didn't notice any. Will get to looking. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Probably time to replace the two way valve. Seems to be bypassing water when closed.
George,

That was my first idea, but I'm not sure how to get the old one out. Seems the water lines from that valve use the "pex" water lines and everything has a compression connection on it. As far as I can tell, I'd have to cut the lines to "break" into them. Maybe that is what I will have to do, and then put some unions somewhere in the lines so I could get into the area again if I have to.

You would have thought Monaco would have made it possible to take the valve out without cutting the water lines. But all the brass fittings exiting the valve cannot be taken apart from the front, and are connected with compression fittings on the pex lines behind the fiberglass panel the valve comes out of. I guess that should not be a surprise if you've ever worked on just about any rv these days.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just put an off on valve in the line to the tank with shark bite fittings
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
I agree that it could be going back through the pump. It's happened to me.
That would be the first thing to check, especially considering that the fill/city water valve is difficult to service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbow43 View Post
I did replace the original water pump last Feb when in Death Valley. No problems since then until last week.
Were you on city water since the replacement? Was it long enough to fill the tank if the pump is leaking?

Were you using the pump since replacement? If so, did the pump ever run for a second or two every so often? That would be an indication that the pump is unable to hold pressure and is leaking back into the tank.

It might not be a hard failure on the pump, perhaps there is just a bit of dirt/debris on one of the tank check valves that is preventing it from closing completely?

A quick test would be to shut off the inlet valve of the pump, so that it is isolated from the fresh water tank. Then see if the water tank keeps filling. Rather than wait so long, if you have an input screen on the pump that you can remove, take off the cover and dry off the initial water that leaks out (make sure the valve from the tank is already closed.) Then, watch it for a while: does water keep seeping out of it? If so, that would be an indication that the pump is letting water leak backwards through it. If you have no input screen you can open up, you could do the same thing by disconnecting the pump inlet pipe (but not the outlet, that will be pressurized by city water.)

If all of these tests show that the pump is not leaking, then it's time to look at the fill/city water valve. But a ball valve like that is usually pretty reliable, a check valve in the pump seems like a more likely suspect to me.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #9

I agree that I wouldn't anticipate the valve going bad. However here is what a p.o. did on my unit, I can only presume it was due to a bad valve. Seems to work good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0727151402a.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	101309  
Old 07-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Probably not it but perhaps a physical look at the tank level to see if it's really full. Mine has shown half full (which is correct) and then it will show full the next day even if I have not taken in any fresh water. Next day it shows half again. My issue might be a loose sensor on the tank but it's only done it twice so I haven't opened the bolted tank door to look.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Jeff753;2669470]Probably not it but perhaps a physical look at the tank level to see if it's really full. Mine has shown half full (which is correct) and then it will show full the next day even if I have not taken in any fresh water. Next day it shows half again. My issue might be a loose sensor on the tank but it's only done it twice so I haven't opened the bolted tank door to look.

Jeff

Pretty sure the tank was full. I realized there was a leak when I saw the overfill tube leaking steadily, and then checked the gauge and it was at 100%. Gauge has always been accurate. It always overflows right after the gauge reaches 100%. No reason not to trust it.

I've dumped the fresh tank so I can unhook that side of the pump. Then I will hook up the hose to the supply side and see if water comes out that side of the pump. If so, check valve in the pump must be leaking. I've got a bunch of things to do to the coach so we can take off to see family in the midwest (Kansas & Oklahoma) about mid-August. Have my hands full.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
-----------------------------
Q: Were you on city water since the replacement? Was it long enough to fill the tank if the pump is leaking?

Rod: Yes, but I don't think long enough to fill the tank. Other than that, I hooked up to fill the tank to sanitize it, and then fill it, but didn't leave the pressure on when not filling.

Q: Were you using the pump since replacement? If so, did the pump ever run for a second or two every so often? That would be an indication that the pump is unable to hold pressure and is leaking back into the tank.

Rod: Yes, but didn't notice the pump cycling like that.

It might not be a hard failure on the pump, perhaps there is just a bit of dirt/debris on one of the tank check valves that is preventing it from closing completely?

Rod: Where would I find such 'tank check valves'?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
I agree that I wouldn't anticipate the valve going bad. However here is what a p.o. did on my unit, I can only presume it was due to a bad valve. Seems to work good.
I'd really like to stay with the same type of valve, but that looks like it would do just fine.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mysterious Fresh Water Fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbow43 View Post
Rod: Where would I find such 'tank check valves'?

It's inside the pump.

This is how a typical diaphragm pump is set up. The motor causes the diaphragm to move in and out, increasing and decreasing the internal volume of the pump chamber. As the volume increases, water is drawn in through the inlet check valve, while the outlet valve prevents back flow. As the volume decreases, water is pushed out the outlet check valve, while the inlet valve prevents back flow.

When using city water, the pump is off, but the outlet side of the pump is pressurized to the city water pressure. While a slight leak in those valves won't affect pumping operation, any leaks in those valves can cause the city water pressure to force water backwards through those valves into the fresh water tank. It may only be a slight trickle, but over time the effect can add up.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water