Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
Retired Senior Member

I was slithering around under my Dynasty seeking the source of an air leak. I noticed an un-plugged hole in what I think is a part of the air brakes (can get more specific by going on another slither-mission). The "plugs" are located on the front side of a quart-jar-sized, black gadget. The plugs are attached so that they swivel to give access to a quarter-sized opening in the black gadget. The plugs are made of a hard, yellow plastic material. They were both in the open position. Didn't look right to me. Now, with this detailed and highly technical description in mind, can anyone tell me what the plugs do (the answer "plug" is not acceptable)and do I need to get the gadget examined and or cleaned?
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
Retired Senior Member

I was slithering around under my Dynasty seeking the source of an air leak. I noticed an un-plugged hole in what I think is a part of the air brakes (can get more specific by going on another slither-mission). The "plugs" are located on the front side of a quart-jar-sized, black gadget. The plugs are attached so that they swivel to give access to a quarter-sized opening in the black gadget. The plugs are made of a hard, yellow plastic material. They were both in the open position. Didn't look right to me. Now, with this detailed and highly technical description in mind, can anyone tell me what the plugs do (the answer "plug" is not acceptable)and do I need to get the gadget examined and or cleaned?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
If the yellow plug is in the center of the spring brake chamber they are for the insertion of a T bolt to release the spring brake in the event you are unable to build air pressure to release the spring brake which is the emergency brake.The T bolt should be mounted on the brake chamber near the clanp that holds the chamber together. BEWARE this brake chamber is dangerous and can kill if one doesn't understand how it works. I.E a very strong compressed spring. The yellow plug is to keep water and dirt out of the spring brake chamber. Lyledavid
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Yeah, I could see a spring inside the chamber (somehow that sounds a lot better than "black quart jar gadget"). As I have no idea how long the plugs have been dislodged, is this something that I should take to a service center for checking/cleaning?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
RonNBama
The housing on a brake chamber is made out of aluminum and the spring is painted and the plug left open will allow some water and dirt into the chamber. everytime you apply and release the brake valve on the dash the spring compresses and releases. It moves all parts in the spring brake side of the chamber. There are two parts of a spring brake chamber. Emergency and Service and are seperated from each other. If you look on the lower part of the spring brake housing there should be a small weep hole that should drain any water out of the chamber depending on the manufacturer of the part. It could be MGM, Bendix, or WABCO.
The chamber works in what I call a hostile environment, and is very robust. You see very few failures on that side of the chamber even in the HD trucking industry where I am familiar. I would reinstall the plugs and if you wish take your air hose under the bus and blow into the hole where the plug fits and see what comes out. Don't forget your safty glasses. Or next time you have the unit serviced at the dealer tell him about what you found. If your Coach has never been towed the plugs may have been left open when the chassis was moved to the line at Monaco.
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Ahhhhh, so the tow guy might have popped the plugs? It was towed about 45-miles a couple of years ago.

Thanks for your advise. I will follow through.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
sorry...
lyledavid... Can I suggest you ask for "Damon Karma" now that there is a Damon Forum? You did ask for it and it looks like you can certainly help out with alls sorts of helpful info..so hang out at iRV2 and help us out with your answers anywhere that you can help!

Thanks...
Ok..back "On Topic"

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote