RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mystery problems

We know most of our mechanical/electrical problems are mysteries and I may or may not have solved a recurring mystery.

I have been working with DC power systems and diesel engines for years. Made good money working out their problems. I have always worked with two basic premises. If your DC systems is doing weird things, you probably have a bad ground and if your diesel engine is spitting, sputtering and dying, the most likely solution is a plugged fuel filter.

Of course these are only likely solutions and lots of other stuff could be the problem.

Now for what brought me to write this. We have owned our MH 21/2 years and 20,000 miles. It has done well for us, mostly, and we have had a lot of fun but also a few problems.

I have had a run of ground problems at the dash which were quickly cured and several partially plugged fuel filters.

On our trip to Yellowstone this spring, I had several warning lights, weird codes on the Scan Gauge D and a ruff running engine after leaving Cody en route to Yellowstone Lake. In the middle of Yellowstone is a bad place to break down. No cell phone coverage and small shoulders.

Because of the electrical problem indications, I assumed the problem was electrical. Couldn't find a solution. Headed downhill to Jackson Hole at speeds down to 5 MPH. Sure irritates the other motorist. Made it to Jackson Hole but couldn't find any help. Took off for Rock Springs, WY. Made it as far as a nice little campground at Boulder, WY. Snow & rain while troubleshooting. Saw my spare fuel filter and "what the hell". replaced the old one that was only 20 days and 1500 miles old.

Next day we headed south and home in OKlahoma. No more problems. New filter seamed to solve the problem.

Now leaving for CA next week so wanted new filters. Replaced the secondary on the engine and moved to the primary. Looking in the driver side compartment behind the drive wheels, the filter was easily seen and worked on but tucked up against the filter are two bunches of white (ground on Monaco) wires bolted to the frame. These wires have to be pushed around a bit to install the filter. After installing the new filter I removed the ground cables. They were rusty, cruddy, and didn't look good. Now they are clean and pretty.

So, was wiggling the ground wires while changing the filter, or the new filter, the cure? Of course now, if the problem doesn't return, I will never know if the problem was ground or fuel.

This discourse is probably no help to anyone, but I feel better for having spelled it all out.

Keith

ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sounds good to me.. Is Bob's Bar-B-Q still open out by the airport?

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #3

Did you hear about the large recall on certain Fleetgard filters ? Be willing to bet you had one of those
Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Owned two Bronco II's at the same time. The newest one was supposed to have more hp but it was apparent it did not. After three weeks in the shop under warranty it seemed to have a bit more power but my original one would out run it. Took it in for the first oil change and they suggested a new air filter. Running dusty roads a lot so I said of course. When I left the driveway my tire spun in the right hand turn onto the main road. I was stunned and the new power. It seems the original air filter was so bad the vehicle computer would not make proper adjustments.

As suggested it is possible to get a new one bad. Donn, do you have more info on the Fleetgard recall?
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
We know most of our mechanical/electrical problems are mysteries and I may or may not have solved a recurring mystery.

I have been working with DC power systems and diesel engines for years. Made good money working out their problems. I have always worked with two basic premises. If your DC systems is doing weird things, you probably have a bad ground and if your diesel engine is spitting, sputtering and dying, the most likely solution is a plugged fuel filter.

Of course these are only likely solutions and lots of other stuff could be the problem.

Now for what brought me to write this. We have owned our MH 21/2 years and 20,000 miles. It has done well for us, mostly, and we have had a lot of fun but also a few problems.

I have had a run of ground problems at the dash which were quickly cured and several partially plugged fuel filters.

On our trip to Yellowstone this spring, I had several warning lights, weird codes on the Scan Gauge D and a ruff running engine after leaving Cody en route to Yellowstone Lake. In the middle of Yellowstone is a bad place to break down. No cell phone coverage and small shoulders.

Because of the electrical problem indications, I assumed the problem was electrical. Couldn't find a solution. Headed downhill to Jackson Hole at speeds down to 5 MPH. Sure irritates the other motorist. Made it to Jackson Hole but couldn't find any help. Took off for Rock Springs, WY. Made it as far as a nice little campground at Boulder, WY. Snow & rain while troubleshooting. Saw my spare fuel filter and "what the hell". replaced the old one that was only 20 days and 1500 miles old.

Next day we headed south and home in OKlahoma. No more problems. New filter seamed to solve the problem.

Now leaving for CA next week so wanted new filters. Replaced the secondary on the engine and moved to the primary. Looking in the driver side compartment behind the drive wheels, the filter was easily seen and worked on but tucked up against the filter are two bunches of white (ground on Monaco) wires bolted to the frame. These wires have to be pushed around a bit to install the filter. After installing the new filter I removed the ground cables. They were rusty, cruddy, and didn't look good. Now they are clean and pretty.

So, was wiggling the ground wires while changing the filter, or the new filter, the cure? Of course now, if the problem doesn't return, I will never know if the problem was ground or fuel.

This discourse is probably no help to anyone, but I feel better for having spelled it all out.

Keith
Neat information, and I bet somewhere down the line somebody sitting around the fire will tell a story about reading on "some forum" that some guy had a bad ground on his fuel filter!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Did you hear about the large recall on certain Fleetgard filters ? Be willing to bet you had one of those
We would appreciate more info on that recall as well
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #7

If the problem comes back and you have to change the fuel filter again to fix I would suggest that you may have Black Slime algae in your fuel tank and need to treat it with a biocide.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with last poster on the algae

There is also an air filter on most engines. I have had occasion where my car (Gasoline) would not make 45 MPH ..
Once it was the air filter
Second time (This was with a cam-operated fuel pump) it was the gas line from tank to pump

I disconnected from carb,, Extended into a glass. cranked the engine and swa what looked like air blowing on the small pool of gas that was slowly enlarging.. Got new fuel line... Made a big difference.