RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
NADA / Real Price - Beaver Santiam

We have found two very nice 2004 Santium 40 ft. DPs for sale. They are asking $75,000 for one and $80,000 for the other. NADA shows low retail of $47,000 and average retail of $56,000. We were previously looking at other brands (a little newer and gas powered), and most folks we talked to thought that we should pay less than the NADA low retail figure, because NADA has a reputation of listing higher-than-market values. We can't imagine getting one of these beauties for under $50,000, but on the other hand we don't want to build in advance depreciation either.

I know that I have to consider tire age and electronics vintage in the price, but should I still expect to pay more than NADA low retail for these units? We would love to hear your opinions on what would be a reasonable final selling price (assuming that it has relatively new TVs and tires and is otherwise in tip-top shape).
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

Honestly, it doesn't sound like they were booked correctly. A $33,000 discrepancy?
What are the model numbers?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Check here to see what they really have sold for over at least the last 3 years:
Used Recreational Vehicles Sold or for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Old 01-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
PPL sold one for $69000. Prices very from $121000 to$89000.
NADA seem way to low. It's more like wholesale. Remember this is dealer input, what better way to drive down the prices.
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
We have found two very nice 2004 Santium 40 ft. DPs for sale. They are asking $75,000 for one and $80,000 for the other. NADA shows low retail of $47,000 and average retail of $56,000.
Note our signature...5 years ago this month we purchased the Santiam for low 60's knowing it would soon need 6 tires. This summer PPL said they would ask low 50's if it was on their lot.
Small aside - "Santiam" is the name of a river near the old Beaver/Monaco factory in OR.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I would offer $45K less any work that needed to done such as tires etc.

You need to buy it right.

At that they may counter at $50K
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

Sometimes when doing a value on NADA sellers don't realize that the only things that should be checked on that list are the options that were upgraded on the coach..

In our search for 3 years we dealt with many private owners who checked every single box and then ended up with a veyr high value. Also remember that private sellers frequently have an overestimated opinion of the value of their rig.

Do you have access to the build sheets for these rigs??? If not and you have the VIN call Monaco and they will e-mail you a build sheet. Use that to do your NADA value.

Also remember that many owners these days are upside down on their rig..so you need to ask if they have a free and clear title before making an offer...if they still owe on the coach you need to ask if they in fact are able to a make up the difference....
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the input

Thanks to all who responded! I have not been selecting any optional equipment in pricing these units on NADA. One reason is that it is so hard to determine what really was optional equipment. I assume that coaches of Monaco quality would come with auto leveling jacks, outdoor shower, roof ladder, etc.

On the Forest River trailer that the MH will replace, FR had standard equipment plus a lot of items that were listed as "mandatory options", plus a few actual buyer-selected options. I assume that all manufacturers play similar games.

Another reason I didn't check any of those boxes is that my assumption is that most optional items on these ten-year old beauties would be obsolete or in need of replacement - sat systems, TVs (if not already modernized), other entertainment systems, etc. I don't care about a washer dryer (at least I don't think I do), so I didn't check that either.

The tip about build sheets was great! I was not aware that those were available so easily. I will obtain a VIN and compare it to a consignment unit at a local dealer. That should be a clue as to how much options affect the NADA value.

One surprise is that even though NADA states that mileage doesn't affect value on a diesel, some lenders charge a significant interest rate penalty if it has more than 50,000 miles.
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #9

As for options don't assume. Some of those option really do make a difference in the value. Our Dynasty originally came with a smaller engine and was upgraded to a 350. Punching in those upgrades does make a difference so get the vin and call Monaco for the build sheet. It will list the options. Also go on the Monaco web site. There are the sales brochures for every thing back 10 years. That way you can also see the options & standard equipment. Also try financing thru a financial institution that knows what they are doing. In all the rigs we ran thru Alliant CU we sent them
a copy of the build sheet. It made their loan value estimate right on the money. Allow of the loan values are going to be about 20& of retail. If you have excellent credit Alliant will go up to 120& of loan value.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

Dealers do not pay one cent for extras and options. They use a basic NADA dealer price book. I would pay extra for new tires or new batteries. Things like window awnings do not affect the price. Most options on a MH were not individual options. They are part of a package that is nowhere near the value of each option.i
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh
Dealers do not pay one cent for extras and options. i

I have to agree with Moisheh on this. We recently sold our MH and this required a good deal of "pricing research" on our part. We found that when we discussed consignment sales with local Dealers they were not the least bit interested in the over 10k's worth of current upgrades we had made to the Coach (tires, batteries, Sat. System, TV 's, tow bar, service records, etc) . They took a 30sec. look at the MH and went inside long enough to determine if anyone had smoked in it. Next.....out came the wholesale blue book (-25% off NADA (low))....and here's ya go!

Hey....we can do better than -25% off NADA we thought (?)....so let's sell it privately. Well we soon learned that we also couldn't add-in upgrades....in fact we needed to be at least -10% below NADA just to get people to come see the MH. We found that most people were very suspicious of private sales and felt much more comfortable buying from a "bricks & mortar" Dealer....the Dealer could offer financing, 30/60/90 day warranties, extended warranties, upgrade options, tech support, etc, etc.

The Dealers usually started their pricing +5-10% above low NADA with a "teaser" special discount of 5-10%......and I expect often closed at -10% below NADA. For us we had to drop a further -10% in order to close the deal and thus settled for -20% below NADA and about +5% above the original wholesale/consignment price. If we had to do it again I 'd skip the DYI private selling and just consignment sell it!

In this case ......I wouldn't pay more than 40k for this Braver and I'd expect some pretty current & nice upgrades. On the other hand, perhaps your market is different and you really love this MH....this was just our personal experience......just remember the current wholesale value is probably not much more than 30k and a 10yr old MH has some very expensive parts just waiting to fatigue $$$.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
what is the monaco phone number to request build sheet?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nada does not include things like engine upgrades in a diesel.
I was very surprised a newer Beaver was about the same NADA as my older Holiday Rambler.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #14

The online NADA is simply the original list price less the depreciation. There is no accurate way to come up with motorhome prices unless you are a dealer. Dealer prices are calculated by actual sales and auctions. But even then it is a guess. How many of that particular Beaver models have been sold last month? Maybe one or two. Dealers are aware of the shortcomings in the system but they are pros at determining prices. They know which makes are dogs and which units are in demand. Even floor plans will affect prices. Too many sellers arrive at a selling price by how much they owe on the vehicle. That is a joke! As a seller we can ask whatever we want but the final price is determined by how much a buyer will pay. Do not be afraid to offer a realistic price no matter what the seller is asking. But it is not right to insult the owner with 50% of what it is worth.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, beaver