Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Need a leak fixed --- look else where

Sorry, but I need to rant a bit!!

Short version:

Short on time and weather I took my coach back to the dealer I bought it from for a couple of water leaks and a detail. It took 2 trips to get the detail done right and after 3 I am fixing the water leak myself now.

Long version:

I was in a rush and felt it would be better/faster to let the dealer fix a couple of water leaks in our coach. The dealer is 60 miles away so about 1:20 or so each way. I actually liked the sales side and really didn't want to give any $$ to c-world even though they are just down the road. This dealer is not open for service on Saturday so I arranged it and they had a service writer meet me. I pointed out the leaks and he applied tape to the areas and I thought I explained that their repair was my utmost concern. I also requested a price for getting the coach detailed (we keep it clean, but it was due for a polish and carpet cleaning). So by the afternoon on Monday I had an estimate for both and I was satisfied and said do it. About 2 days later I got the call that it was done and I arranged for payment over the phone with the unit ready for p/u Saturday. I went to get the coach as planned having been told the parts person would have my keys.

As I arrived I saw my coach ready to go, so I walked by and glanced at it on the way to get the keys. Hmm, I thought - I guess the spots on it are from some light rain we had. Geez, I guess it was hard to wash all the way around the wheels. Oh well, I went in to parts and was a little taken aback by the nice parts lady saying she hated giving keys out on Saturdays because she doesn't getting yelled at.... I said not to worry, I'm not a yeller!!. As I went outside and looked a little closer at the detail first I began to question the work.... I have 2 kids, 7 and 12. I think I could get it done for a trip to the Bell and save about $500. I opened the door - just as I left it. So $500 for a wash and squirt with the faux shine. I looked at the leak repairs - sloppy at best. And the carpet was more damp than when I dropped it off. Back in I went.

I was very nice to the parts lady, I just joked about it and asked who was the head cheese here today. I went to the sales side and asked for ____. The sales manager was a very nice woman and we had a chat on the way out to my coach. I had her read the RO invoice I was given.... She about stopped in her tracks at one point. Grammar - it was horrible, Spelling - must be poor quality public schools around, and bonus points for using "da" properly in a sentence. I explained that I was not sure what I was paying for, but I was pretty sure it was slightly more than I was getting. Any way, shortly the sales side detail manager was in my coach and notes were being taken. I left the coach there and awaited a call on Monday.

Monday, I called them (poor form). Oh, we are very sorry. I will see to it getting done right. Blah, Blah, Blah. I explained my back ground (mechanic) and my expectations (fair work for fair price and leaving things better than when found). All was going well, I thought. Went to get it the next Saturday with kids in tow. Met the service writer again, nice young man (gee, I sound like my Dad) who just happened to have started recently with no RV experience. We chatted and I explained what I thought service was and how this had gone wrong. Very sorry sir, blah blah. I didn't move your coach because I couldn't get your door open (hadn't adjusted the linkage yet). So we walked down to it, I noticed the windows were all fogged up. When I opened the door it was like I would imagine Miami Beach after a midnight thunder storm in August - hot and wet. They had the heaters cranked to dry the carpets, but had neglected to open a single vent!!

I kindly explained why this was bad for the next 20 minutes as I wiped down and mopped up all the water from the windows and the tracks that were all full. I put the slides in and pulled out to hook up the Jeep. Drove it home, added fuel and parked it. Several days later I went back out and wanted to fiddle around and check some work. Went to plug it in - oh, no 30a-50a adapter (guess they needed another one at the dealer) and when I checked the propane - E (from 3/4). I looked and still wasn't happy with the seal job, but if it held after a week or so I was willing to let it go till spring and do I myself. 2 weeks later carpet wet again!! Another phone call. Another trip back.

I contacted the service manager again and we had another discussion. It seemed the last tech was let go (suprise) and that he would see to it that the top man was put on it. Let me say that in addition to the quality of the workmanship, I questioned the quality of the sealant. To me (apparently untrained) it appears to be Hotmelt glue - the new "Wonder seal" in the RV industry. I waited and was treated to almost daily updates on my coach. Towards the end of the week I was told as a courtesy they would deliver my coach to me at home. I told them that unless your driver was prepared to back in thru 2 90 degree corners to just drop it at my work. I also mentioned the propane and the adapter cord - which promptly fell on deaf ears apparently. It showed up and I looked it over - still covered in hotmelt glue but no sense yelling at the delivery driver. I took it home and waited for a few weeks for the leaks to do what ever.

Several weeks in and no leak on the pass side - loads of glue will apparently do that. I hadn't driven it since, but several days ago before I took it to an interior shop (Dave and LJs) I notice the left corner at the drivers feet was wet (new leak)... Uuuuuuhhhhhgggggg!!!! flick, flarn, flack!! I have already sent a letter to the owner of the dealership and am awaiting a response. I am scheduled for the the TV box shrinkage in a week and I spend today starting to fix the underlying issue with the leaks. Monaco roof rivets. I saw the gaps when I took it in. I ASSUMED a RV repair shop would know how to diagnose and repair water leaks - I even asked about the pressurizing of the interior (told yes we do that).

Why can a diesel mechanic who spends a little time on the internet know more about RV repairs than a RV tech? I'm sure its all my fault for not telling them how to do their job. How come I can spend a dry February Superbowl Sunday peeling eternabond tape and replacing roof rivets and actually get it done? Its really sad, hotmelt glue just peels off if you get under it. And why if a guy removes the old Monaco installed roof seam tape and scrapes around all the loose riviet, why not call the customer and say "I found your problem, but its going to be a bit more than the original estimate Sir."? To scrape around the problem and not try and fix it!! I spend 5 minutes here and have all the answers - just waiting on the 1.125" rivets for the side seam.

I'm saving all the materials I remove for a care package to send them. I ran out of daylight and it started to rain so I covered the seam with duct tape for now. I have new tape and sealant waiting. I had the large flange rivets from a project at work years ago, but could not source the long grip small headed ones locally today (Napa and Ace) so I will contact our MRO vendor in the am. Thanks to the group here, its all just up to me now.

So there it is, the long version.... I know I missed a few things, but I think the jest comes thru. Just to put it out there... the dealer is Johnson RV in Sandy, Oregon. They are also in Colorado I believe. The letter I wrote the owner came about from a letter they send to all their customers with a $100 certificate for service work acknowledging past issues and assuring people that they are on top of it with their new service manager (I dealt with him). Poor form, IMHO.

There, I'm done. Hands cramping and vision blurry. Must relax. kant tipe any moor.

Allen
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I spent most of my working life turning wrenches on diesel engines.

If I can't do it myself, it doesn't get done, cause no one except me knows how to fix it.

It's not that I'm that good. It's just that the other guys that are supposed to be the experts are that bad.

And I don't charge me for the work I do.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #3

Sounds like my experiences with Lazy Days in Florida. Took our MH in to get the basement air/heatpump evaporator plate replaced due to an unfortunate mishap. After a week, it was ready and we left to travel out of state, but when air was turned on it blew hot air. Book says to take it to a service dealer to check it out. Back I went. Low on freon was the problem so recharged it and it cooled down. A week later, we used the air again and hot air came out. I lost my cool at the dealer when he told me that the basement unit we have is not used anymore and cannot be repaired. After I cooled down, i went on line and found a service dealer in Indiana and he works on this type of unit. Got there and when he pulled the unit out, the 1st stage of the two stage compressor unit electric was unhooked. further inspection founf that the copper lines that go to/from compressor were pinched of and a blind person, it looked like, soldered?? it to prevent it from leaking out. To add fuel to the fire, the evaporator plate was leaking when it was charged after he fixed the problem they couldn't fix. Found out the plate was never changed. By the way, the job was an insurance covered job and we got the insurance guy come to Indiana to see what they paid Lazy Days for and were not at all happy. Worked fine after we got it fixed. Now we traded it in and have a 2011 Winnebago 40ft'er to worry about.
senior-cit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeaver View Post
Sorry, but I need to rant a bit!!
Short version:
Short on time and weather I took my coach back to the dealer I bought it from for a couple of water leaks and a detail. It took 2 trips to get the detail done right and after 3 I am fixing the water leak myself now.

Allen
Allen,

Your experience is all too common. Many of these RV Sales & Service outfits are long on sales and short on service. You're probably aware but just in case - there are some really good shops in the Coburg area. Elite Repair and Remodel in Harrisburg. I'd have been surprised to hear that they did not find and fix your leaks in very short order. Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene for anything suspension related. Cummins Coach Care in Coburg and now Source Engineering has moved to Coburg. Wyatt's Tire for tires in Eugene. Speedco in Aurora.

I live 265 miles north of Coburg and travel to Eugene/Coburg to get anything done that needs a shop and professionals to get done. Most of the places there let you stay on their property providing at least electricity and water. We try to plan our travels to take us through the Coburg on the outbound, inbound, or both legs of our trips.

Good luck. Hope future service goes more smoothly.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I looked at a 40' Beaver there in August 2012. I think it was brown on the outside. The same one maybe?
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
Allen,

Your experience is all too common. Many of these RV Sales & Service outfits are long on sales and short on service. You're probably aware but just in case - there are some really good shops in the Coburg area. Elite Repair and Remodel in Harrisburg. I'd have been surprised to hear that they did not find and fix your leaks in very short order. Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene for anything suspension related. Cummins Coach Care in Coburg and now Source Engineering has moved to Coburg. Wyatt's Tire for tires in Eugene. Speedco in Aurora.

I live 265 miles north of Coburg and travel to Eugene/Coburg to get anything done that needs a shop and professionals to get done. Most of the places there let you stay on their property providing at least electricity and water. We try to plan our travels to take us through the Coburg on the outbound, inbound, or both legs of our trips.

Good luck. Hope future service goes more smoothly.

FWIW
Thanks,

I work for a Cummins distributor so I know Coburg's rep and if I need any engine work done that I'm to lazy for that's where it will go. I haven't gone down to the mid valley yet for work. I was looking for a interior shop there to call me back but no luck. (Went to Dave and LJs). Apparently service is harder to find than I'd thought. I'm wiser now.

Allen
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
I looked at a 40' Beaver there in August 2012. I think it was brown on the outside. The same one maybe?
If it was a Santiam PDQ. It could of been. I like my coach - just needs 100 more hp!!

Allen
Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I think this is a common issue, with dealers hiring lowest wages repair guys. I really can't do deep engine or suspension work (no tools, getting old) and usually get these done in the Coburg area. Second the people mentioned above, and I've also had decent service from my dealer (Guaranty in Junction City).

But I tackle most other jobs myself. I find it hard to fathom how someone can live in a motor home and have to take it in for everything! But you have to have some background. I'm an engineer by training, and just recently replaced the door entry handle on my Camelot... now there's a job not easily done! But some wrenching experience and a lot of common sense go a long ways. Something lower level "mechanics" seem to be short of.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I may live in Northern California but I still take my Beaver to the Coburg area for all my repairs.
Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I talked to the service manager while I was waiting for the owner to call me back (still waiting btw). He seemed shocked!! Was it from someone calling back, or that a repair failed for the 4th time? I stated my desire for him to bring the dealership owner up to speed with the history and to have a conference call with the 3 of us.. The coach is going to Dave and LJ's for the magic "TV box shrinkage" and I told them they "may" be able to look at it in a week, but that I still wasn't sure I'd take it back yet. He told me he would handle the repairs himself. We'll, I've now spent more on materials (actual quality stuff) than they did on the repairs. So at the least I'm expecting reimbursed for them.. I'm going to print out the roof repair threads from here and bring them along to explain how it "should" or WILL be done..

I figure at this point what have I got to really loose? I know I can fix it myself and I have the stuff (geocel, eternabond, roof to cap rivets (big flange 3/16x3/4") I'm only short the 1/8 x1 1/8 small heads ( which no one has locally). I'll know more after my call and I'll post up what I get out of that.

FYI - look up Geocel 28100. It's awesome and I will always carry a tube along with the eternabond tape. Duct tape becomes a distant 3rd on that list.

More to follow.

Tags
leak