Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Need electrical help

All packed, toad hooked up ready to pull out and as I hit the power cord reeler it stopped. I blew something big that controls lots of stuff. No AC, no slide outs, no Bedroom/bathroom lights, no dash radio, no Aladdin. The list goes on. Check small fuses, and main breakers reset. Still nothing. HELP!!
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #2

Try in the battery compartment and look for the breakers on the cable connections. They often look like a small black box with a lever or button for reset.

Something like this

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'd get a meter out and start checking the 12 volt circuit starting at the battery disconnect and work your way down stream.

On my coach I have a 120 amp auto reset circuit breaker and also a 300 amp fuse that protects the inverter.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #4

I sent you a private msg. I actually found the cable breaker box you pictured. It had a button on the top I pressed. Didn’t do anything, thanksClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	326903
Old 05-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
I sent you a private msg. I actually found the cable breaker box you pictured. It had a button on the top I pressed. Didn’t do anything, thanksAttachment 326903
Yes, I got your PM.

I think it would be good if you posted what you wrote on this open thread. The more eyes on this the better.

Short version for the rest of the following, he cleaned up the cable connections to the batteries and had power return for a short period. Then, went out again. Had power for a short while while on shore, then lost that.

My question would be the condition of the house batteries. How old are they, what is the voltage reading when disconnected from shore. Dead house bank can kill everything mentioned in your original post. If really low, they may not activate the charger from the inverter/charger when plugged into shore either. If the refrigerator is a RV type gas/electric, it will not work on gas without 12v power and it is wired directly to the batteries so if the 12v is gone from the fridge, the batteries are dead or the fuse for it has blown.

Give us a reading on the house battery condition (state of charge) and age. The clean up you did could have been just enough to get power going for a short while until the batteries died, again.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Yes, I got your PM.

I think it would be good if you posted what you wrote on this open thread. The more eyes on this the better.

Short version for the rest of the following, he cleaned up the cable connections to the batteries and had power return for a short period. Then, went out again. Had power for a short while while on shore, then lost that.

My question would be the condition of the house batteries. How old are they, what is the voltage reading when disconnected from shore. Dead house bank can kill everything mentioned in your original post. If really low, they may not activate the charger from the inverter/charger when plugged into shore either. If the refrigerator is a RV type gas/electric, it will not work on gas without 12v power and it is wired directly to the batteries so if the 12v is gone from the fridge, the batteries are dead or the fuse for it has blown.

Give us a reading on the house battery condition (state of charge) and age. The clean up you did could have been just enough to get power going for a short while until the batteries died, again.

House batteries were installed new March 2018. They are Interstate deep cycle. Each individual bat is putting out about 7.2. Across the 4 bats I get a 14.37. What’s weird is a couple days ago my dash radio lost power. Checked fuses to find them ok through continuity test. Then as I activated the power reeler it stopped. That’s when it all went dead. I’m on 50amp shore and my inverter will not fire up. I don’t have any 12v power in the coach, almost like the salesman switch is activated. Which it isn’t. I cleaned all terminals again with sand paper to make sure. I hear the hum in the Power 50 Transfer box, so I know by seeing my microwave lite up passenger side of coach has AC. I’m about to fire the generator up to see if that makes any difference. What the heck, my generator won’t even start. Now I’m really puzzled.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	326919 good continuity across the battery fuse.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #8

Could it be the Thrombetta solenoid?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	326920
Old 05-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #9

The power reel has a bit of a draw to it. If you have no lights or 12v in the coach then you lost your main power. Check the salesman switch solenoid. Just undo one side and attach it to the other eliminating it from the equation. 99.9% of the time its the solenoid.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #10

Dave, You should have 2 big battery cut-off switches in the rear elect
compartment. Those switches are known to go bad but may still seem
ok. The house batt cut-off switch is the suspect. You can easily place
one wire on the lug with the other wire bypassing the switch.
If this solves your problem I would replace both switches.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3meyer View Post
The power reel has a bit of a draw to it. If you have no lights or 12v in the coach then you lost your main power. Check the salesman switch solenoid. Just undo one side and attach it to the other eliminating it from the equation. 99.9% of the time its the solenoid.

Makes sense, where is the salesman switch solenoid located and I’ll check it. Would that cause my inverter to shut down?
Old 05-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Makes sense, where is the salesman switch solenoid located and I’ll check it. Would that cause my inverter to shut down?

I will check the bat cut off switch tomorrow. Thank you for the input.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Could it be the Thrombetta solenoid?Attachment 326920
No, that's not your problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #14

Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	326944by chance would this be the salesman switch solenoid?

Tags
need help, electrical