RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #1

need help 2001 monaco excutive dose anyone own one

i am looking at a 2001 monaco excutive 40' 75k miles new tires new batt. new aquahot this coach has been stored in side what can you tell me about this coach pros and cons
alfredcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

Alfred, have you actually verified the DOT dates on all the tires? Do you know how to read the dates? Also what do you mean by a "NEW" Aqua Hot? Why would anybody replace a whole Aqua Hot. You should find out why. You should ask more about that. What engine is in it? Don't have a 2001 Exec but have a 2004 Signature and the Exec, Signatures, Dynasty and Navigators are all excellent coaches with a great chassis/suspension system.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Alfred, have you actually verified the DOT dates on all the tires? Do you know how to read the dates? Also what do you mean by a "NEW" Aqua Hot? Why would anybody replace a whole Aqua Hot. You should find out why. You should ask more about that. What engine is in it? Don't have a 2001 Exec but have a 2004 Signature and the Exec, Signatures, Dynasty and Navigators are all excellent coaches with a great chassis/suspension system.
it has the 500 cummings i haven't seen this coach yet it is coming in on the 25 of feb. i do know how to read the date thankyou for all your help
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

I have a 2002 Exec brochure here. That ISM-500 was the top option motor for that year and that means it came with the 4000 Allison tranny. Great option. It a great motor and 2001 maybe before the EGR system push so if so then better MPG.

Check those tires because if you figure that is a 2001 coach then it is 11 years old and that normally indicates they are on the second set of tires. So to be new tires now would mean they went a long time on the original set or the new set doesn't have many miles on them but are still dated.

Either the Aqua Hot froze or they really mean they just replaced the fuel nozzle and filter and maybe something else. Can't believe that they would have to install a whole new Aqua Hot system.

If you get the VIN number you can call Monaco Tech and they will send you the original window sticker and the build sheet for it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredcycle View Post
i am looking at a 2001 monaco excutive 40' 75k miles new tires new batt. new aquahot this coach has been stored in side what can you tell me about this coach pros and cons
I have had a 2001 43DS2 Executive, Cumins 500 with the 4000 Allison for a year and a half. Bought it with 143,000 miles, now at 159,000. Great coach. I had work done on the aqua hot when I bought it, wouldn't work on diesel and I didn't know how to use it to know any better, and that has been it for major issues. It will/should be a tag axle, I tow a 10,000lb trailer behind me with no problem. The 10 bag air ride is very smooth, and doubles as jacks on mine. Very well made quality coach all the way around. Also triple roof ac's is nice, but it is an electricity hog. Like Mike said, call Monaco and get the original sticker sent to you, it will show all the options/upgrades on that coach and the original price.
tomdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdent View Post
I have had a 2001 43DS2 Executive, Cumins 500 with the 4000 Allison for a year and a half. Bought it with 143,000 miles, now at 159,000. Great coach. I had work done on the aqua hot when I bought it, wouldn't work on diesel and I didn't know how to use it to know any better, and that has been it for major issues. It will/should be a tag axle, I tow a 10,000lb trailer behind me with no problem. The 10 bag air ride is very smooth, and doubles as jacks on mine. Very well made quality coach all the way around. Also triple roof ac's is nice, but it is an electricity hog. Like Mike said, call Monaco and get the original sticker sent to you, it will show all the options/upgrades on that coach and the original price.
thank you for your inport it was very helpful
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, I have enjoyed in a short time I have been on the forum, reading Your ideas and thoughts.

I look forward to learning More from You, in the future.

Phil Palmer
Lavonia Ga.
Phil Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The 2001 Executive is a great coach. The Cummins ISM/Allison 4060 transmission is a great combination.

You mentioned that it had a new Aqua-Hot unit. Did they replace it with a "new" unit as in their new design or did they replace it with a new "reconditioned" unit?

The reason I ask is because they are somewhat different in their design. The 2003 (approx.) year they had a design change with the biggest difference being how the domestic water line is ran. One the early version the domestic water line is ran around the exterior of the boiler tank being held in place with a putty/glue that conducts heat from the boiler tank to the approx. 150' of copper tubing wrapped around the outside of the boiler.

The new design has the domestic water line inside of the boiler tank and the glycol mixture is directly responsible to transfer the heat to the domestic hot water.

Aqua-Hot's theory and best practices for winterizing on both systems is identical in the respect that they insist on pumping antifreeze into the domestic system rather than relying on air alone to blow the sytem out. Their theory is air alone will not get ALL of the water/moisture out of the system and it can condense and collect in low areas of that copper tubing and freeze/burst the tubing. This would compromise the domestic water system's ability to maintain pressure.

On the early version it would result in a cycling of the domestic water pump as the water would leak out of the lines. This would be noticeable by removing the units covers and detecting water in the bottom of the tray. The new version when a water line has a leak it is noticeable by the glycol level in the overflow/surge tank rising to the point that it starts to overflow due to the domestic water system pumping fresh water into the boiler tank.

On the early version I have noticed a leak that develops in the glycol system which at the top of the boiler tank where the radiator cap resides. The solder joint is in my opinion less that sufficient. I have heard of more than a couple of these units being replaced by owners who have experienced a loss of glycol and cannot determine where the leak is originating. They replace the unit with a remanufactured unit at the price of approx. $6k.

When we bought our coach we had this such issue. The previous owners had to have known about it but failed to pass that informtion along. I noticed we were loosing glycol shortly after purchasing our 2003 Dynasty in 2007 but it took me a few weeks to determine where it was leaking from. I had checked with Aqua-Hot (Recreation Systems at the time) and was quoted a price on a remanufactured unit. I removed the unit from our coach and brought it into my shop for diagnosis.

Upon opening the unit and pressure testing the boiler tank I found the leak at the seam between the boiler tank the radiator cap. There was very little solder on this joint. I removed, cleaned and prepped the radiator cap adapter and resoldered it back onto the boiler tank while also adding a little more solder and flowing it out for a better joint.

I have found this exact issue with both my cousin's 1998 Monaco Signature and my uncle's 1996 Beaver Marquis and repaired both of them in the same manner savings thousands of dollars.

Sorry for the long story/description but like I mentioned, I think many of these early version units had been replaced with reconditioned units when it was actually a fairly minor repair. The hard part and most time consuming is removing the unit from the coach which has to be done either way, whether removing to replace or repair.

Overall the Executive is a great coach.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco