Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Need Help to identify damaged ISL sensor wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo66 View Post
Cylon,

Thanks for checking that out, I really appreciate the feedback.

The pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together.

I'm starting to believe that this is a temperature sensor that only required one wire to operate, and the second wire that I discovered in the same factory wire loom was an unused spare.

I'm not sure why I didn't get any indication either audible or visual even though the wire insulation was burned away leaving a direct short to the metal exhaust manifold for what appears to be an extended time frame.

Thanks again, Jim

Just curious, did you not have a temp reading on your gauge or Aladdin before you fixed/reconnected the wire?

I’m glad I did check for you, I found a cracked exhaust manifold on mine.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDon View Post
Jim, if I were you I would take my picture to my local Cummins dealer and ask them the question. Chances are that this sensor was not added by Monaco.

Don,

That's a great idea! I think I should do that.

Thanks,

Jim
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Just curious, did you not have a temp reading on your gauge or Aladdin before you fixed/reconnected the wire?

I’m glad I did check for you, I found a cracked exhaust manifold on mine.

Cylon,

My temperature gauge on the dash, and the Aladdin have both worked fine since I bought the coach new in 2006.... That's one reason why this directly shorted wire is so puzzling.

I would have expected a non functioning gauge, or a high temperature alarm, or some other malfunction. The coach has always run great!

Jim
Old 11-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Cylon,

My temperature gauge on the dash, and the Aladdin have both worked fine since I bought the coach new in 2006.... That's one reason why this directly shorted wire is so puzzling.

I would have expected a non functioning gauge, or a high temperature alarm, or some other malfunction. The coach has always run great!

Jim
Jim,

Sorry for being late to respond. I meant to take a photo yesterday but forgot. That sensor on our ISL has two wires plugged into the top. It might be a head temperature sensor or manifold temperature sensor. The location is very close to one of the exhaust ports to the exhaust manifold.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensor on head of ISL reduced.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	182312  
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Jim,

Sorry for being late to respond. I meant to take a photo yesterday but forgot. That sensor on our ISL has two wires plugged into the top. It might be a head temperature sensor or manifold temperature sensor. The location is very close to one of the exhaust ports to the exhaust manifold.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for that photo. You have provided another very valuable piece of the puzzle. I'm going to try to get down to the local Cummins shop today and take photos in to see if they can provide any further info as to what exactly this sensor is and what is its intended function. You photo will help for sure. Stay Tuned!

Jim
Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Cylon,Walt, Don, Bob

I just want to get back to all of you that have helped put pieces of this puzzle into place.

I stopped by the local Cummins dealer today and showed them the photos of the sensor that we are trying to figure out. The parts guy could not find it anywhere in his computer, so he asked his service tech to take a look. The service tech said that it looked like it might be a coolant sensor, but it is NOT a Cummins part. He also said that it was probably installed by the chassis manufacturer!

You guys are very sharp.

Now I'm really curious as to why the chassis manufacturer / coach builder would need to add a coolant sensor to the engine?

Possibly something to do with the Aqua Hot engine preheat system?

Or maybe something to do with the Aladdin system?

PS
Aladdin system and the Dash temperature gauge both work as you would expect.

Again, thanks so much for all of the input you guys have provided. I absolutely love this forum!

Jim
Old 11-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Cylon,Walt, Don, Bob

I just want to get back to all of you that have helped put pieces of this puzzle into place.

I stopped by the local Cummins dealer today and showed them the photos of the sensor that we are trying to figure out. The parts guy could not find it anywhere in his computer, so he asked his service tech to take a look. The service tech said that it looked like it might be a coolant sensor, but it is NOT a Cummins part. He also said that it was probably installed by the chassis manufacturer!

You guys are very sharp.

Now I'm really curious as to why the chassis manufacturer / coach builder would need to add a coolant sensor to the engine?

PS

Again, thanks so much for all of the input you guys have provided. I absolutely love this forum!

Jim

Since it one wire, could it be the idiot light indicator? Just guessing here. I do not have that sensor on my ISL, I have gauge, Medallion. My coolant sensor, mounted on expansion take. [emoji848]
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Cylon,Walt, Don, Bob

You guys are very sharp.

PS

Jim

Jim,

I would agree it probably was the chassis builder on order from Monaco for the coaches that would have the AH. Not seeing the harness, Monaco could have also done it.... but that really doesn’t matter I guess.

I noticed on mine and a few pics, there is a coolant hose coming out of the head at the front of the engine. Mine goes to the expansion tank (didn’t realize this at first). Anyway, I have to go with the AH, as this makes the only sense.

Since the AH takes care of preheat and also takes care of heating while driving, It could be one or both. I’ll guess both as any flow restriction (pump operation) would happen at the AH, controlled via the temp sensor at the engine.

The AH would not give you any indication if the temp sensor was indicating 80 degrees all the time, it would just act accordingly within its operating parameters.

I think you can put this to bed. I am going to contact Rodger Berke on this to see what he says. I’ll report his response.

John.....
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Jim,

I would agree it probably was the chassis builder on order from Monaco for the coaches that would have the AH. Not seeing the harness, Monaco could have also done it.... but that really doesn’t matter I guess.

I noticed on mine and a few pics, there is a coolant hose coming out of the head at the front of the engine. Mine goes to the expansion tank (didn’t realize this at first). Anyway, I have to go with the AH, as this makes the only sense.

Since the AH takes care of preheat and also takes care of heating while driving, It could be one or both. I’ll guess both as any flow restriction (pump operation) would happen at the AH, controlled via the temp sensor at the engine.

The AH would not give you any indication if the temp sensor was indicating 80 degrees all the time, it would just act accordingly within its operating parameters.

I think you can put this to bed. I am going to contact Rodger Berke on this to see what he says. I’ll report his response.

John.....

Thanks John

Tags
need help, wiring