Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #15

I have learned a lot about this toilet, number one be sure it is getting full power. i will not work right if the voltage is weak.......the over haul is simple just be sure to use plenty of good sealant when putting it back together.
Also, if it is not holding water, check to see if there is some paper that has worked it's way into the space that it fits in......
Red Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the '02 Dutch Star we had the manual toilet. Had the rig for 13 years and never had to do a thing to it. No seals, no springs, no broken parts. Quiet and worked everytime. No so with the present Aria china electric one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #17

FWIW, I have a Thetford Aria II in my '01 Diplomat.

I've rebuilt it twice because it wouldn't hold water. That meant taking the unit out of the coach and installing new parts. It leaked water again just as we were leaving the driveway for a month-long trip. Being familiar with the design by this time, I simply got some silicone and sealed the joint just above the slide -pushed it in with my finger until is just wouldn't take any more. I did this from the top with the toilet still in place -hasn't leaked down in 4 years.

Recently when attempting to flush, the slide was not retracting but water was entering the bowl just like a normal flush. There is a small knob at the rear of the slide on the back side of the toilet that turns a worm screw that operates the slide. Happily on my installation I can reach around the rear of the toilet and turn the knob - not so on my buddy's rig – so yours may be different. IIRC, this knob can be used to open the slide in case of total power or other failure. It takes what seems like hundreds of turns to get the slide to move so be patient. IIRC, if you were facing the rear of the toilet, you would turn clock-wise to open the slide.

All I had to do was give the knob about a quarter of a turn or so to "get it off dead center" and the toilet would operate normally but would then stop with the slide open. One more push of the top button and the slide would close. Initially, the problem was intermittent but, as the slide operation became nosier and nosier, it became more frequent until it was 100% of the time. It seemed to me that the motor that operates the slide was struggling against friction and would protect itself when a certain torque was encountered.

I carry rebuild parts, but on day 1 of a 5-day trip, I wasn’t going to spend it R&R a toilet. So here is the fix I came up with: I gave the knob the quarter turn then pressed both buttons simultaneously 2x (this opens the slide and holds it open). I got some Vaseline and reached down through the hole toward the back of the toilet and smeared as much Vaseline as I could on the worm screw. I also smeared as much as I could on the area where the slide comes into contact with the slide outer housing – the “track” it runs on. I also lubed the rubber ring that creates the seal with the slide when it is closed. Yes, a filthy job.

Problem solved (for now anyway) and it operates much quieter. I’m not sure Vaseline was the best choice but any port in a storm…

You can’t reach all areas you would like but the operation of the slide will spread the Vaseline around. If ever I have to do another rebuild, I will make sure these parts are well-lubed before they are installed: probably with white lithium grease. Vaseline will get hard in a cold environment; not a problem where I live.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #18

I have owned my 40' Diplomat almost 6 years and just installed my 3rd operating mechanism, Thetford part #19613. I also bought a new flush control module and used it for a month. Sometimes it would run the water and not open the blade. I called Thetford and they suggested I may have a low voltage problem. I ran wires from the Norcold fridge that I no longer have, too the toilet. Same problem! I told my wife that the only thing I have not replaced was the flush buttons, Thetford part #28964. I ordered one of these and installed it yesterday along with the new blade mechanism. It appears this may have cured this long running issue. If it works with no more problems for a week I will reply again. George 2001 Diplomat PBD
Old 01-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 Cavalcade View Post

I have owned my 40' Diplomat almost 6 years and just installed my 3rd operating mechanism, Thetford part #19613. I also bought a new flush control module and used it for a month. Sometimes it would run the water and not open the blade. I called Thetford and they suggested I may have a low voltage problem. I ran wires from the Norcold fridge that I no longer have, too the toilet. Same problem! I told my wife that the only thing I have not replaced was the flush buttons, Thetford part #28964. I ordered one of these and installed it yesterday along with the new blade mechanism. It appears this may have cured this long running issue. If it works with no more problems for a week I will reply again. George 2001 Diplomat PBD
George,

I certainly hope you have solved your problems and I hope that my post doesn't jinx your fix.

However, I really hate to burst your bubble and say, "I doubt it".

Your permanent solution is to remove the "possessed" toilet and install one that will work faithfully when you need it to.

That would be a Sealand Concerto full porcelain toilet.

Good luck with your new push buttons.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #20

All, This is a follow up to my ongoing Aria 1 toilet issues. In the last 3 weeks I have installed a new mechanism, controller, keypad, and ran new 12 volt AWG 12 wires from the Norcold frig I no longer have. It still would not work properly. I think I have finally fixed it, I think. The only thing I never replaced was the Thetford wiring that hooks all the different things together. I finally found 2 of the crimp connectors that would make intermittent contact. I used new connectors that I soldered after crimping and it has worked with no problems since. If this does not fix it I am done with these toilets & will replace it as many I am sure have done. George 2001 Diplomat

Tags
need help