Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Need help with Aria Deluxe II toilet flushing problems

I have 03 HR Endeavor and having problems with the toilet. It is a aria deluxe II and sometime it will flush and some time it will not does anyone have any sugesstions on what the problem is.
sonnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - I had the same symptom with a Aria Deluxe. It turned out to be that I was loosing the 12VDC to the unit. The cause was the fuse holder - when the fuse is pushed in, the blade connector (internal to the fuse block) would push inside and make intermittent connection. The solution was to remove the fuse block and push the connector back into the correct location.

I found this by putting a test light on the 'molex' connector to the toilet and saw that on occasion it was not on.

Alan
02 Windsor PKD
currently in Homer, Ak.
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Aria troubles

Was your issue resolved? Just wondering, as our Aria toilet was starting to malfunction. The slide/knife/valve, whatever technical term it goes by, will open but not close. At first it was intermittent and now hardly working at all.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #4

I have this toilet in my Diplomat as it would open and at times would not close. I ended up buying the assembly that includes the motor that opens and closes the gate. I think it cost about $150 but I don't remember the exact amount. I was going to buy a new toilet but was told that the way these are bolted to the floor it is not easy to replace so I just fixed what I have. This was about 3 years ago when I did this. I checked my files and I did this last repair in 2/2010. I bought the parts from Atwood. Good luck, George 2001 Diplomat PBD
Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBeemercouple View Post
Was your issue resolved? Just wondering, as our Aria toilet was starting to malfunction. The slide/knife/valve, whatever technical term it goes by, will open but not close. At first it was intermittent and now hardly working at all.

I still have not solved my problem yet but seems to be working better
So I am not sure what to do from here.
sonnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The slide just quit on our unit.
Will get it back today to see what the result was.
Dealer is a service center for Thetford and said
these toilets were worth fixing rather than replacing.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post

The slide just quit on our unit.
Will get it back today to see what the result was.
Dealer is a service center for Thetford and said
these toilets were worth fixing rather than replacing.
Well, I thought so too, except after installing 3 valve/motor/seal kits within a 6 year period of owning the "boat anchor" I finally removed it and threw it off a bridge.

Replaced it with a Sealand Magnum Opus toilet in March of 2009 and have not had ONE problem with it working as it should. Plus it is QUIET!

The Aria II always sounded like a thrashing machine when it was operating. It would wake the dead during the night.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thereford Aria II toilet flush issues

This thread is old, but I'm thinking this issue is not uncommon and will be happening for years.

My aria deluxe 2 had similar issue, the flush blade valve wouldn't open. It would always close. I spent the other night searching this and other forums and found the guy who pulled the toilet, took it apart, cleaned and greased and life was good.

After reading how many people had multiple issues with this unit I did look at replacement and parts costs before diving in, and if I would have found a decent replacement reasonably priced I would have jumped. But I didn't....

So I pulled the toilet, disconnected water, flipped and removed the slide valve / motor assembly. I scrubbed, rinsed and cleaned. Yes it was gross.

I pulled the end off the slide valve assembly to expose gears, and this made it easy to clean. I cleaned all the old grease off and I put white lithium grease on all gears. I really think grease drying up is a huge noise contributor.

Just got home with family from another lacrosse tournament weekend away in the motorhome and all was well, in fact never better from a speed of opening and noise level. I will be ordering replacement gaskets and installing as they were getting old, but otherwise happy to save $500 or more on a new toilet.

So if you have issues carve out 2-4 hours and try it out, worked for me.

Note: although better it's still noisy. I used it at 5am while fam sleeping and asked myself who decided a luxury coach should have a NOISY electric toilet. I'd take silent over electric. If I ever have to replace I, going QUIET!
Rpiersie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had to buy the new control module about 4 years ago and it worked good until a trip in July, the gate valve just barely worked. Took the toile out, cleaned everything and lubed with some superlube and it worked great for the 4 week trip to NM in Oct.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
Thetford also makes the same toilet in a manual model. Mine would not hold water in the toilet bowl and it was noisy. I replaced it with the manual model which is identical except no electronics and I am a happy camper. Mark
Old 11-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCondo View Post
Thetford also makes the same toilet in a manual model. Mine would not hold water in the toilet bowl and it was noisy. I replaced it with the manual model which is identical except no electronics and I am a happy camper. Mark
I agree, no reason for an electric toilet in our rig (other than it makes good sales copy) since it's a straight drop into the tank. We both avoid flushing at night. When it quits I'll replace it with the manual model.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I had flapper issues, cleaned and lubed the moving parts. Replaced the seal as it would leak the water out of the bowl, but when I read that a few people had the flapper stay closed and the toilet open the water to the bowl,,, overflowing, well you know what! I even put a switch on the wall next to it so I could turn off power to it when not in use, but it still made too much noise so I replaced it with a manual Dometic. The Thedford is a nice toilet, but didn't like the chance that a power board could flood the rv. One less ckt board to worry about.
John G.
(sold it on craigslist for more than the new one, so worked for me)
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Manual toilets are fine IF you want to press on the foot pedal all the time to flush. Plus they have problems with springs and the moving plastic parts that break.

Electric toilets can be quiet and problem free IF you purchase the right brand and model.

I threw out the noisy problematic Thetford Aria II back on March 2010 (no regrets) and installed a Sealand Magnum Opus all porcelain electric toilet. I haven't had one problem with it in the over 5 years of constant use plus it is also VERY quiet. No problem flushing at night.

Sealand also sells a Concerto model which is a little cheaper with less electrical features and is also a great toilet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Yes the Sealand toilets are very good, I'm not a full timer or I probably would have gotten one. I did like the "PUSH THE BUTTON" part of it! I just wanted one for what I got out of the old noisy GRINDER toilet.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help