RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Sixpack98:
Be happy to help. I have a couple of pics of the wiring for the switch identified as well as a pickup point to install a switch to energize the PacBrake when lubricating. I bought a toggle switch and with a walkie talkie ask my DW to toggle the switch while I lube the air cylinder rod.
I bought the BrakeSwitch and want to install it in the front run bay of my '07 Dip. Unfortunately, Monaco changed the wireing of the FRB again between 06 and 07, and there are no electrical diagrams available to identify the new wires. Here's my problem....

In order to install the BrakeSwitch, you need to identify three wires as follows:

1. Brake lamp wire... Was 62A ("Brake Lamps") on early coaches, changed to 155 ("Brake Lamps") on later coaches, and I found it as 137F ("Brake Lamps") on my 2007 Dip.

2. Exhaust Brake Power Feed... Was 62E ("Exhaust Brake Wire") on early coaches, changed to 104 ("EXH BRK FSE") on later coaches, and I found it as 107 ("ENG BRK FUSE") on my 07 Dip.

3. Exhaust Brake Enable wire that runs between the Ehaust Brake Relay and the ECM connector... Was 61B ("Exhaust Brake Wire Enable") on early coaches, changed to 107 ("EXH Brk NC") on later coaches. Problem is, I cannot find anything that remotely matches either of those descriptions on my 2007 Dip anywhere in the front run bay. Don't know what "NC" means, and wire "107" is now the power feed (fuse) wire. (There is no longer a wire labeled "104")

Does anyone have any ideas that might help me find it, or does anyone know where this wire is on the 2007 configuration? What was it near in the 2006 configuration?

Mark, on the 06, did these two wires go into the same connector on the fuse block? Were they very close to each other? And what exactly was the label in your coach, on the wire I'm looking for?

Any help appreciated.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:
Be happy to help. I have a couple of pics of the wiring for the switch identified as well as a pickup point to install a switch to energize the PacBrake when lubricating. I bought a toggle switch and with a walkie talkie ask my DW to toggle the switch while I lube the air cylinder rod. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought the BrakeSwitch and want to install it in the front run bay of my '07 Dip. Unfortunately, Monaco changed the wireing of the FRB again between 06 and 07, and there are no electrical diagrams available to identify the new wires. Here's my problem....

In order to install the BrakeSwitch, you need to identify three wires as follows:

1. Brake lamp wire... Was 62A ("Brake Lamps") on early coaches, changed to 155 ("Brake Lamps") on later coaches, and I found it as 137F ("Brake Lamps") on my 2007 Dip.

2. Exhaust Brake Power Feed... Was 62E ("Exhaust Brake Wire") on early coaches, changed to 104 ("EXH BRK FSE") on later coaches, and I found it as 107 ("ENG BRK FUSE") on my 07 Dip.

3. Exhaust Brake Enable wire that runs between the Ehaust Brake Relay and the ECM connector... Was 61B ("Exhaust Brake Wire Enable") on early coaches, changed to 107 ("EXH Brk NC") on later coaches. Problem is, I cannot find anything that remotely matches either of those descriptions on my 2007 Dip anywhere in the front run bay. Don't know what "NC" means, and wire "107" is now the power feed (fuse) wire. (There is no longer a wire labeled "104")

Does anyone have any ideas that might help me find it, or does anyone know where this wire is on the 2007 configuration? What was it near in the 2006 configuration?

Mark, on the 06, did these two wires go into the same connector on the fuse block? Were they very close to each other? And what exactly was the label in your coach, on the wire I'm looking for?

Any help appreciated.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I to had problems with the breakswitch wirings, but the generic instalation (not the the monaco-specific) did work. i coundnt find the right wires so I just used what Mr Homer suggested and got to the wires right at the existing switch by my elbow.

good luck, it is a good product.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi RustyTools, (Great name, BTW )

What kind of motorhome do you have, and how did you get to the wires on the cockpit switch? Were you able to lift the switch up off the surface of the panel?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Robin...Did you call Homer at Brakeswitch....he's pretty knowledgeable. I want to install the Brakeswitch....have one in my garage, but Monaco didn't wire something right and I have no brake lights coming on when the exhaust brake is on which is needed to activate it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Don,

I did speak with Homer. He suggested wiring it the "regular" way to the cockpit switch. However Monaco is sending me a diagram of the revised 07 chassis electrical system, and after I get that I'll give it one more shot in the front run bay.

I think if you become insistant with Monaco, they will fix your brake lights to activate with the exhaust brake. I know you said that you tried and they couldn't fix it, but it can't be that complicated for someone who really knows the circuit. I've looked at the diagram for the 05 Dip (which unfortunately is different than mine) and it appears to me that the brake light is turned on by a relay that is activated with the exhaust brake circuit. I don't know where that relay is located, but I suspect there's a good chance that it's in one of those two "Monaco boxes" in the front run bay. Monaco has been known to correct factory problems at their expense - especailly ones that could be a "safety hazard" - even if your coach is out of warranty. But you'll probably have to get to the right person who is authorized to make that decision.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ok Guys...
"Mama" wants to play the part of a lot of females ...can you explain to me what this thing is, how it works and why it is a good thing to have ...and oh yes, can you do it in terms I would understand? Inquiring female minds (who are trying to learn) want to know!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Robin
I tried to wire the BS the standard way and it didn't work. I finally removed the entire cover where the switches are installed (about 8 screws) and accessed the pac brake wires that way. My RV is down at the Harrisburg facility now (new roof) so I can't tell you the numbers on the wires. After a few false starts I also realized that the best way to cut and splice is with connectors that can be reattached if you get a wrong wire. Homer also recommended being able to take the brake switch out of the loop in case it the pac brake needs some maintenance. Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
MM
One of the cheapest and best additions. Eliminates the pac brake coming on when you don't want it to. With the switch installed, when you take your foot off the gas you coast. When you step on the brake the pac brake also engages, when you step on the gas the pac brake disengages. Makes for a much smoother driving experience (especially when Paula is driving).
Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Flyer,

I may have to do the same thing. If I cannot find the correct wire in the front run bay after Monaco sends me an electrical diagram that they have promised, then the whole thing is going to the cockpit. Hopefully I'll be able to get the brake light wire down to the front run bay from there.

MM,

In addition to what Flyer just told you, many believe that the BrakeSwitch is a "good thing" for three reasons...

1. It allows you to coast with your foot off the throttle, without having to turn the cockpit exhuast brake switch off. That should save some fuel.

2. It allows you to use the exhuast brake and the cruise control at the same time. That's convenient.

3. It allows you to turn on the exhust brake and "forget it" which makes it immediately available every time you step on the brake. That should enhance safety.

Additional note... What I've stated here applies to model years 2006 and before. See this message, later in this thread, for information about changes in 2007 coaches.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On our 08HR it seems to act like it has this Brakeswitch. Are the 08's different?

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Perhaps you have the Latch Mode programmed.

Read about it HERE.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know what "NC" means, and wire "107" is now the power feed (fuse) wire. (There is no longer a wire labeled "104")

Robin_M, on most schematics I have seen NC stands for Normally Closed. I would take this to mean you are looking for a wire from the normally closed contacts of the exhaust brake relay? hope this helps.

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Robin.....Thanks....I have the wiring diagrams on Cd and had Kinkos print on a 36" x 36" sheet (cool). There is only one local Coach Care Facility nearby and they had it for a week. The mechanic and I went through it and the function is through those relays. If I remember correctly, the box labeled Monaco 1. We tried everything....somewhere there is a wire missing. I gave up when I realized they were only going to throw a guy on it between other jobs and then they ran a tow truck into my mirror and tore it off. Haven't been back.

In all honesty I don't like the lights coming on when the exhaust brake is working. There is another way to wire it, but I haven't been motivated enough to run a switch and wiring back to the exhaust brake yet.

The brake switch needs to see 12 volts (from the brake lights to latch on). I tried to tap into the wires at the exhaust brake, but they are a ground return, no power.

I think I'm going to buy a motorcycle brake switch and tie it into the PacBrake arm so it pulls it on and connects 12 volt power.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote