Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #1

Need help with pocket door track

I just spent a frustrating and fruitless 3 1/2 weeks at Lazy Days in Fl. I made the apptmnt in Aug for repair service Mar 2. I had a list of 15 items to repair but the main one was my pocket door between the LR and bath area. The track that the door runs on had come loose from the ceiling back inside the far end of the pocket door. Where the door slides into the wall, there is only about a 3 inch opening once the door is removed. So You can't get your arms into the opening to reach back and replace screws. I've waited 3 1/2 weeks for LD to get this repair, in addition, to other items but finally, I've run out of time and patience and have to leave. They say they have only one tech in the cabinet shop that can make this repair and he's too busy to get to this.
Have any of you ever had this pocket door problem and fixed it, if so, how did you do it? Ld said they would have to remove the bathroom cabinet on the wall that backs up to the pocket door cavity and cut a big hole in the wall to access the track to install new screws. But of course now, after a 3 week wait, they tell me they won't have time to get it fixed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have the same problem with my 08 Camelot. Hadn't considered going thru the medicine cabinet. Will be removing the door soon. I'll report back.
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Somewhere, perhaps on IRV2, I read about a fellow fixing this problem himself. He used an attachment on a drill that had a chuck at 90-degrees so he could just hold it and drive the screws. I think he also had a flexible shaft from the drill to the 90-degree device but don't remember for sure. The 90-degree unit is available at Lowe's in the tool department.

Hope this works out for you.

Or another option is to take it to these folks:

Alliance Coach

4505 Monaco Way

Wildwood FL 34785

866-888-8941 or 352-330-3800

352-516-4144 or 321-516-4144

RV Dealers Ocala - Alliance Coach, Wildwood FL

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #4

One possibility could be to carefully dimension and shape a long piece of wood, with a little thickness taper on one end (the inboard end), and secure it to the subfloor with some wood glue to keep it from rattling or shifting. As the door is pushed into the pocket, and as the curb-side end of the track barely began to sag down, the wood could provided a surface for the bottom of the door to slide on, thus keeping it in line, where it should be. You could even put some kind of Mylar or Teflon surface on it, to facilitate sliding. I'm thinking that is what I would probably try to do. If it doesn't work out, you could stick a long screwdriver under the end of it, and pop it back out, and try something different.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fixed this problem in my 08 Camelot today. Called Monaco tech support and asked them how it's done. Worked as described.

Remove trim piece that's attached to the track over the door opening. Mine was loose, the glue had given up. The door hangs from two rollers held in place by white clips that swing out of the way. Put your foot under the door to hold it up. The down rod will then slide out of it's pocket on top of the door away from the pocket. Repeat with the other roller assembly. Remove your foot and lower the door to the floor.
The latch is extending from the top of the door and may hang in the track but wiggles out easily.

With the door out you can see whats missing. You'll need a flashlight.
My track had two holes toward the back of the pocket that didn't have screws.

You'll need at least 30 inches of driver extensions, duct tape and some hex head sheet metal screws to make the repair. Pointed tip screws worked. Drill tips slid off before they could bite. Tape the extensions together at the joints and the socket on the end. Poke a screw thru a smaqll piece of tape and tape it into the socket (so it won't fall out). I started about 6 inches from the opening and put in a screw. Then another 4 inches from that and 4 from that. Couldn't get a bite beyond that.
Placed a final screw in the back corner where the track meets the back wall. Didn't screw this one all the way in so the track is resting on it.

Put the door back in and adhesive backed velcro will hold the trim in place.

Thank You Monaco Tech Support.
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #6

K7JV, that was an inventive idea but the LD tech came over this morning just before we were to leave and he pretty much did the same thing Flashpoint had done. Except he had about a 4 ft bit extension on his drill.
I've got to make me one of those long bit extensions in case this problem reoccurs.
Thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #7

Thanks all! ... I'll be saving the procedure for later ... it's only a matter of time.

Tags
door