Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #1

Need New Radiator

Need some help locating a new radiator for our 2004 HR Navigator PBT (Cummings ISM 500 HP engine). We are presently wintering in Victoria BC and living in the motorhome. Woke up last Thursday and noticed a large pool of coolant coming from underneath the coach. We were able to get it to a local shop (Bus repair shop) and they confirmed that the rad was leaking and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Their plan was to remove the rad and have it sent to a local rad shop to have it refurbished/rebuilt. They got the rad out and taken to the local rad shop but apparently they are unable to rebuild it. The shop that removed the rad is now looking for a new radiator but they are not having much luck on sourcing a new one. According to the shop, they have found a couple of places in the US that can build a new one (apparently they have the drawings to do it) but that will take a couple of weeks and with Christmas coming we may not get back into the coach until the New Year. Has anyone replaced a rad lately? Any idea where we may be able to find a new one in stock that can be shipped to Victoria ASAP?
Benny20037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #2

Have you tried finding a shop in Vancouver that can build one with your old one as the pattern. There has to be many hd rad shops in the mainland. Contact freightliner or kenworth and ask them who does their rads.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Try this place. They have a reputation for making excellent radiators for Monaco/HR products and occasionally have some in stock:

https://cgj.com/product-category/rad...onaco-radiator
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This is one of the companies that originally supplied Monaco.

https://radiatorsupplyhouse.com/page...-page?q=monaco
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:16 PM   #5

Those are pretty decent prices. First time I spotted this place shared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smhutto View Post
Try this place. They have a reputation for making excellent radiators for Monaco/HR products and occasionally have some in stock:

153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check with Source Engineering in Coburg, OR. They have some parts but know who made it and where you could get one if they donít have it.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #7

Source Engineering: Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Old 12-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #8

If this situation ever happened on a road trip, would any of the radiator stop leak products work temporarily so you could get home?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smhutto View Post

Scotty,
I had a CG&J radiator installed in 2015 after road debris took out my old one. I had researched and thought it was a good option. I contacted one of the top guys and we had multiple phone calls emails so I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered it and had it delivered to the Cummins shop doing the work. I thought all was good.
Another Monaco Windsor owner also had one installed. He ultimately reported to me that his started to leak and used Irontite to fix the problem.
I used the coach for one long trip in 2015 and then it pretty much as been sitting on the property we bought as I build the new house.
This year I finally got the rig ready to travel and took it on a ~5K trip. When I got home I backed it into the garage and the next day I had a leak under it, over the period of a week it continued to seep while I worked on some other stuff. Finally got a chance to put some Irontite into it which stopped the leak. I have since taken it on another ~5K trip and it seems to have stopped the leak.

But during this time I have been seeing higher transmission temps. I took the time to email my contact at CG&J to question about sizing of the transmission cooler, internal to the radiator. He simply aid they size it to about what was in the old radiator that they had used as a template. I asked him my options and he offered to sell me a separate cooler for ~$750. The other Windsor owner also says he sees slightly higher transmission temps.

I also told him about the leak and he said they do not recommend using an additive in the radiators, he said I could remove the radiator and send it to them to check. This seems like a poor business model.

So I will no longer recommend CG&J.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #10

I Second Radiator Supply House in Oregon. They have most Monaco brand original prints and will make you a bullet proof and repairable copper core/steel tank unit to original specs. Made me a new alum. CAC too. They ship anywhere. Great service.
TANDD
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
If this situation ever happened on a road trip, would any of the radiator stop leak products work temporarily so you could get home?

This was recommended to me from another owner who had to use it in his older radiator while coming back from AK and a newer radiator. My radiator start do seep so I tried it, added 2 bottles, so far so good.

Irontite All Weather Seal, Pour and Go to stop leaks Irontite All Weather Seal Leak Stopper [468-9130-16] - $23.49 : Irontite Products, The Professionals Choice!
Old 12-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #12

Radiator

Rear or side mount?

Radiator Supply House built mine, side mount. And CAC unit. Both $6650.00 not including shipping. $12,500.00 installation.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is a side mount radiator. In 2015 I replaced the radiator with one from CG&J and at the time it was $2650 delivered. I also had to have the CAC rebuilt, cost $1650. Installation cost at the time was $~4K, but this was under and insurance claim so it cost me ~$1K deductible.

Up until this year I was pleased with the CG&J radiator but after the leak and the issue with the transmission cooling.

I would now have second thoughts about installing one.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #14

Update

First of all, thank you for all the responses I've received. Just thought I would provide a followup and let you know what I've learned. Apparently my present radiator was aluminum and therefore cannot be rebuilt. Interestingly I was able to go through the old service records from previous owners and noted that the rad was previously replaced in 2012. It would seem that these rads have a lifespan of 8-9 years. I don't know if this is normal but seems to be the experience with this particular coach.
The shop here has been calling all over and nobody has one in stock. Our only option at this time is to have a new one manufactured. They have contacted several places including CG&J and Radiator Supply House. CG&J quoted $3500 while RSH was double that. The difference I have found out is CG&J use aluminum while RSH is copper. After a little research it seems that copper is the better option as it can be repaired or rebuilt if needed in the future. Both places need 10 days to build but shipping should be quicker from RSH as they are located in Oregon.
Even though the RSH rad is more expensive we decided to go this route as I feel that it is a superior quality product but I'm also concerned with potential leaks and transmission temps that some have experienced with the CG&J rad.
Looks like we will be living out of a hotel a little longer, hopefully can get back into our motorhome before Christmas! I guess I know what my Xmas gift is this year.
Benny20037 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator