RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Need new TV cable to rear TV

I need to rewire the cable to the rear TV. I have swapped the cable runs at the box and it appears that the rear cable has either loosened up at the connection at the TV end or has a problem in it. I just recieved this coach from my parents and I do not know if it ever worked. They said they never used the rear one and they did not know.

The TV has to be removed after taking the trim wood off. If the cable is bad ........... ahs anyone ever rewired a new cable run in?

Thanks for your input,

Fred420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Is it the cable or the switch box up front?

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Seems that it is the cable. I have switched out the TV leads at the back of the box to change the sets and isolate the cause, switched #1 with #2 and the signal changed infering a bad cable to the rear set. I will run a cable from the box to the set to check for sure.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
The better way is to go around the box and take it out of the loop.
Take the cable to the rear tv and connect it to the input cable with a barrel connector
you also might have a look at the rear tv connector and make sure it is connected.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I will confirm that the connector at the back of the set is tight before I string a cable along the floor from box to set to bypass the orginal run.

If the cable is bad, could be pierced and shorted from a screw, staple, etc, then how do you suggest to re-route a new cable since the orgnial is run thru the roof?

Again, thanks.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
New cable that is a Royal PITA if who ever installed it did not leave it loose.
If who ever did not tie it to something or other wires or anything else it is a
two person job.
Pick a end you want to start at and attach the new cable with a barrel connector
to the old one and make sure it has a tight connector then tape it so it will not pull off and then slowly pull the old cable out and feed in the new. It is important that you do not try to force it and sometimes you have to pull it back a little and try again.
With a whole lot of luck and good will it will work and the job is done however if this
fails see if you can route the cable another way that you can live with or the last
option is something no one wants to do believe me.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Fred420......If you need a new cable, the fastest/simplest way to do it is to run it out the firewall, under the coach along the frame rail and then back up into the bedroom.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a TV connection in the curb side cargo bay? Sometimes they use a splitter there and continue on to the rear tv, maybe just a bad connection at that point. I tried to bring my portable satilite signal in that way but wouldn't work because of that.(it had worked fine in my 1999 Monaco Dip before I had this coach) Ckt drawing showed splitter on this coach.
Hope you check this out before you pull the wall down!
Good luck,
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
fred420......I just had to do this to our new 2012 Vacationer. We installed the SK-3005 Directv traveler dish only to find out after that Monaco ran RCA cables and coax cables to all three HDTV's. When I traced out the cables they were all taped together throught out the run, so no trying to use the cable to pull the new HDMI cables. I had to run all three, plus one extra just for our Blue Ray player from the cabinet above the steering wheel, where the DVR and all other wires are. I pulled the plastic panel between the windshield and driver side window and ran the cable down below to the chassis and routed from there back to where I needed to bring it up through the floor to the tv's......It's not hard but like wb7auk said...PITA, and time consuming. I got it done and happy now...wife too. You would think in 2012 with putting in HDTV now they would run HDMI cables already.....dumb......good luck
spoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I got to work on it yesterday and when I checked the cable ends at the TV, I found out that the crimping came loose. I think that this was done at installation and my parents have never used the rear set so they did not know it was inop. They only slept in the bedroom So much for a good walkthru when they purchased this new. LOL. So I recrimpped the ends and all is good.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJScepter View Post
Do you have a TV connection in the curb side cargo bay? Sometimes they use a splitter there and continue on to the rear tv, maybe just a bad connection at that point. I tried to bring my portable satilite signal in that way but wouldn't work because of that.(it had worked fine in my 1999 Monaco Dip before I had this coach) Ckt drawing showed splitter on this coach.
Hope you check this out before you pull the wall down!
Good luck,
John G.
Good point John! Before I went through running new lines, I would also try replacing the end connectors and make sure the copper wire is long enough on the inside to make a proper connection.