Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #1

Need replacement awning fabric

The awning fabric on our 01 Dip is torn in several places. We'd like to replace all the fabric with new material and a different color.

Any idea if a replacment fabric "Kit" available?

thanks for any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I can't speak to a "fabric kit" per se, but I've replaced all awning material (patio, 2 windows) purchased through PPL.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #3

Ppl?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sorry 'bout that
PPL Parts
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I would imagine most local companies that make awnings for homes could provide you with the fabric of your choice. That's what I did to replace my slide topper awnings ...they even put the rubber piping out of my old awnings into the new ones! I had checked with Carefree about replacement cloth, and doing it locally brought my cost to about 50% of what it would have been from Carefree. ...and I did the labor involved in removing the old cloth and installing the new.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #6

Paul, I thought that would prolly be the best method. Did you take the measurements to them and they made the sizes, or did you take them the pieces?

Funny thing is I believe Carefree is in Colorado lol
Old 03-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I took the old fabric them so they could see exactly how it was sewn, so they could do the same thing for the rubber piping, etc. We laid them out on their floor, measured, then agreed on required finished size, etc. The owner happened to be an RV owner so he knew exactly what I was working on, but that shouldn't make any real difference. They had all kinds of choices for the new fabric.

Carefree is in Colorado ...I wonder if that would be the shipping origin? I talked to them first. Based on the motorhome and info from Winnebago, they gave me a quote. I immediately realized they had one awning size way off. Then they told me to read the paper label on the awning tube to get the part number that would tell them the exact size...no surprise that only one tube still had a label, and it had no printing left on it after 6 years! I figured in dealing with a local company, at least I would know exactly what the new fabric was, AND could be assured the people making them would make the right size. Saving 50% of the cost was the icing on the cake!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #8

You could also go to a marine cover maker. They (as well as any awning maker) can use top-of-line material like SunBrella and stitch you a new awning probably for a lot less than ordering from the original manufacturer. Certainly worthy of a price quote.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I know that NorthWest RV Supply had some before... Give Joe a call and tell them that you want the "Crazy Lady" or "MonacoMama" deal ...whichever is better!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Upgradesis an excellent place to shop as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 AM   #11

Thank you all for the input. We'll keep you posted as to what worked best.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #12

As a point of comparison:

Two of our Carefree acrylic slideout toppers are ripped. I called a local mobile tech here in Mesa, AZ, and he referred me to a guy who does nothing but awnings. It will cost us $299 for the Omega II topper and $295 for the other topper. That's the installed price.

The awning guy had a ring of material he used to match our existing awnings. He ordered the material from Carefree last Friday and said it would take about a week to get it. He didn't ask for any money up front.

Both awnings had been replaced by Carefree in the first year because they ripped where the awning attaches to the coach. 18 months later they started ripping again in the same place. I called Carefree, and they said "Tough."

That was two or three years ago. They have now ripped to the point that I had to replace the fabric.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Had all 4 slide toppers replaced today by our local mobile RV Guy Rollin RV Repair. A job I would not want to do after watching him (never, never, never). He was very detailed and did an excellent job, cleaned all of the rubber wipes and seals and treated them with slide lube. Even caulked the top of the set screws on each end. Total charge for labor $300.00, well, well, well worth the price.

Ordered the material from the web site below, very good quality and heavier material than OEMs, total material cost delivered to my house $518.00. Total price of installed 4 toppers was $818.00 and I feel gooooooooooooood about it!

http://www.rv-motorhome-answers.com/...ut-topper.html
Old 06-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #14

So, any troubles replacing your fabric? I am currently in the process of replacing mine, and the part about the spring unwinding and breaking your fingers has me a little concerned. It's the Carefree model, and is there any tips on doing this without incident? Thanks in advance...
bajakelly is offline   Reply With Quote