RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Need some help with Satellite info

Been reading past threads regarding using a satellite dish while travelling in our motorhome and have finally decided to do something about it. Up until now I have been relying on whatever existed in RV parks, which runs from fantastic to abysmal, as most of you already know.

However, I do have a caveat. Being from Canada my local cable/satellite carrier, Shaw, tells me that they will provide absolutely no support if I try to use one of their dishes south of the 49...thank you very much, Shaw, for your continued non support (bit of sarcasm here). So, here are the questions.

Does anyone presently run a Shaw satellite south of the 49, where I do most of my travelling, and if so, what problems, if any, could I expect (other than no service or support from Shaw)?

Secondly, can I just buy a Dish or Direct TV satellite and then run a non contractual month to month subscription being that I am from Canada? At the moment, I can't even buy anything from Home Depot USA online or Costco USA online (even though I have a US address) being that I try to use a Canadian Credit Card (why that makes a difference is beyond me...guess our money is too funny for them)

And finally, is it worth it to get the roof mounted satellite, when I have read that up to 20% of the time (or more) one needs to get the portable satellite out and hook it up due to overhanging trees? I know the roof ones cost AT LEAST $1,000.00 more, but I also hear that the portable ones (e.g. Tailgater) are fully automatic and make hooking up a cinch. As I presently hook up the coaxial to the RV Park setup, pulling out a portable one is no big deal, as long as it is has the automatic search and lock feature and I don't have to scream to the wife to adjust the satellite to line up with the correct azimuth et al.

Anyways, that is the dilemma. Hopefully, there is an easy answer

Thanking you in advance,

Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Guy View Post
Been reading past threads regarding using a satellite dish while travelling in our motorhome and have finally decided to do something about it. Up until now I have been relying on whatever existed in RV parks, which runs from fantastic to abysmal, as most of you already know.

However, I do have a caveat. Being from Canada my local cable/satellite carrier, Shaw, tells me that they will provide absolutely no support if I try to use one of their dishes south of the 49...thank you very much, Shaw, for your continued non support (bit of sarcasm here). So, here are the questions.

Does anyone presently run a Shaw satellite south of the 49, where I do most of my travelling, and if so, what problems, if any, could I expect (other than no service or support from Shaw)?

Secondly, can I just buy a Dish or Direct TV satellite and then run a non contractual month to month subscription being that I am from Canada? At the moment, I can't even buy anything from Home Depot USA online or Costco USA online (even though I have a US address) being that I try to use a Canadian Credit Card (why that makes a difference is beyond me...guess our money is too funny for them)

And finally, is it worth it to get the roof mounted satellite, when I have read that up to 20% of the time (or more) one needs to get the portable satellite out and hook it up due to overhanging trees? I know the roof ones cost AT LEAST $1,000.00 more, but I also hear that the portable ones (e.g. Tailgater) are fully automatic and make hooking up a cinch. As I presently hook up the coaxial to the RV Park setup, pulling out a portable one is no big deal, as long as it is has the automatic search and lock feature and I don't have to scream to the wife to adjust the satellite to line up with the correct azimuth et al.

Thanking you in advance,
Chef..
I have seen ad's here while we have been in Arizona for Direct/Shaw from vendors.. Maybe Direct owns Shaw.. Might be worth checking on.. I replaced the original roof dome with a winegard Trav'lr and it is spectacular.. No rain wash out and even get a signal through tree branches if not too thick..
But they also make automatic carry out dishes ( a necessity for me was never able to aim the manual jobs) but with Direct you cannot get HD without a large open face dish like the Trav'lr
Go on the TEchnology forum here at iRV2 and you may find several threads about this..
Good Luck..
Ron

04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #3

Ron,

Thanks for the re-direction...didn't even think about looking in another forum, let alone a Technical Forum designed for people like me (DIYers)

Anyways, it seems that Shaw has phased out one satellite for Snowbirders and have plans to phase out the other one soon, so, I will be looking at Dish at Camping World for my needs in the near future...probably the portable ones that are automatic. It is my understanding that Bell (Canada) and Dish (United States) are related, so that should make it, hopefully, easier.

Thanks again for the re-direction....good info there
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Dish has a pay-as-you-go plan for RVers. You have to buy your own equipment which can be found on Amazon and other places online. Amazon shouldn't have problems with a Candian Credit Card.

I myself use a Winegard Carryout with a Dish receiver and get HD channels.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
Dish has a pay-as-you-go plan for RVers. You have to buy your own equipment which can be found on Amazon and other places online. Amazon shouldn't have problems with a Candian Credit Card.

I myself use a Winegard Carryout with a Dish receiver and get HD channels.
Thanks Shiggs68...will be checking out that info real soon!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #6

ChefGuy,
As a US citizen, I don't know much about Shaw, but I believe that I have read that they will be limiting their beam width to avoid covering most of the US states. So, you are probably best to think of US solutions when you are here. (I think you are sort of saying that is what you are thinking of doing anyway.)

But, how you handle things could make a big difference with how well your experience goes. It will be a lot easier if you spend some extended time in a particular US location. You need to use this location as your US address. If you try to use your Canadian address with any US service you will run into a brick wall.

This is not being imposed by the satellite providers (they would love to sell service to anyone who wants it). The restriction comes from the governments and content providers. The satellite companies are simply forced to enforce the regulations or face severe fines.

So, be very careful to setup your US service with a US address. And with the services provided by Dish you can switch off the service when you are in Canada and only have it on for times you are in the US. Moreover, the less expensive carry-out units will get Dish HD channels, but only SD DirecTV channels. So, you can enjoy HD tv using one of the less expensive receiving dishes.

Bob
Old 04-20-2015, 04:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Dish Traveler and it operates in the rig just like it does at home. I've had 2 instances where I could not get a signal due to tree coverage. One of my MUST haves is a way to watch one channel while recording another, or record 2 channels at once. My wife and I are always surprised to see TV commercials, because we usually always fast forward through them.

Now for my point. I believe that the carry out antenna will only pick up one satellite at a time so you only have one signal and cannot record while you watch.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanking you in advance,
Chef Guy,

Our experience with the Winegard Traveler has not been anywhere near a 20 % failure to see the birds. We have had the Traveler mounted on the top front of the motorhome for about six years now and have only had a problem with reception about six times. I do pay attention to where the trees are that block the southern sky and try to avoid them.

If you use a US address and go with Direct or Dish you should still be able to use the system in Canada. The only caveat is your local channels will be those where your US address is. That could still be a workable situation since you can get your local OTA stations on the Batwing.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
However, I do have a caveat. Being from Canada my local cable/satellite carrier, Shaw, tells me that they will provide absolutely no support if I try to use one of their dishes south of the 49...thank you very much, Shaw, for your continued non support (bit of sarcasm here).
Legally, as Bob mentions, they are not allowed to support you when you are in the States. Technically, they may not be able to support you do to satellite beam patterns. I'm not sure which satellite you use for your service, but it may be this one:

The darker the color, the better the reception. Note that the beams don't extend very far into the States, because they are not allowed to serve that area.

You may be able to extend the distance into the states a little bit by using a bigger dish, but you won't find an automatic or roof top dish in those larger sizes.

Quote:
At the moment, I can't even buy anything from Home Depot USA online or Costco USA online (even though I have a US address) being that I try to use a Canadian Credit Card (why that makes a difference is beyond me...guess our money is too funny for them)
It goes both ways. I had a heck of a time getting a pre-paid cellular internet stick from Rogers: I had to use a friend's Canadian address, and my US credit card caused problems. (I got it for Internet service while in Canada. I could use my Sprint data card, but the data roaming charges were outrageous: The data I got for less than $100 in the US would cost me $32,000 if I used that same amount of data while roaming in Canada! )

Quote:
And finally, is it worth it to get the roof mounted satellite, when I have read that up to 20% of the time (or more) one needs to get the portable satellite out and hook it up due to overhanging trees?
It's probably not that high for me, maybe more like 10%. It all depends on where you like to camp: if it tends to be more out in the open, you won't have an issue with the trees most of the time. If you like to camp in heavily wooded areas, you will have problems most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
Now for my point. I believe that the carry out antenna will only pick up one satellite at a time so you only have one signal and cannot record while you watch.
This is the big limitation with the rooftop domes and the portable "carry out" style antennas.

A bit of an overview: there are several satellites in orbit, and depending on your satellite provider and level of service, your channels may be on one or more satellites. If you need more than one satellite, your receiver will switch from one satellite to another as you change channels.

With a home style dish, there are several "eyes" on the dish, so that all satellites can be seen at the same time without moving the dish. To switch from satellite to satellite, all that is needed so to electrically switch to a different "eye" which is almost instantaneous. So with a home dish, you don't even realize you're switching between satellites.

The Winegard Trav'ler uses a full size home style dish, so it behaves exactly like home. In addition, a portable dish that you manually set up on a stand will be the same.

The automatic domes, whether they be roof mounted or portable, use a smaller dish with a single "eye." They can only see one satellite at a time. If you change channels, and the new channel is on a different dish, the dome must physically move the dish to point to the next satellite. This can take a noticeable amount of time. In addition, it means that if you have a second receiver hooked up to the dish, or a dual-tuner DVR, odds are good that the channel wanted by that other receiver/tuner is on a different satellite and therefore won't get a signal. I started out with a rooftop dome and it was virtually useless with my dual tuner DVR: I never could get it to work reliably, and after a year of wasted effort fighting it, I went with a portable dish, and after a year of manually setting up the dish at each stop I installed a Winegard Trav'ler. I know I would've had the same frustration with a portable carry out style dome of any brand, as the limitations are inherent in the dome technology.

Another issue with domes are that they have physically smaller dishes, so they are not as sensitive. In addition, they have domes covering them which can get covered by dew or raindrops. Water absorbs the satellite signal making the dome even less sensitive. Because of this, domes are more susceptible to "rain fade" than regular dishes, and are more prone to lose their signal in the rain.

Finally, some services, like DirecTV HD uses a different frequency band. There are currently no domes (rooftop or portable) that can receive those frequencies. Therefore, those channels are out of the question, and you cannot get high definition signals from DirecTV on any kind of dome. You can get Dish Network HD on a dome because they don't use that other frequency.

So to summarize:
  • Winegard Trav'ler
    • Pros
      • Multiple satellites at once
      • Works just like home
      • Fully automatic setup
    • Cons
      • Cost
      • Doesn't work if parked under trees
  • Portable dish
    • Pros
      • Multiple satellites at once
      • Works just like home
      • Low cost
    • Cons
      • Manual setup
  • Rootop dome
    • Pros
      • Automatic setup
      • Some work while in motion
    • Cons
      • Only sees one satellite at a time
      • No DirecTV HD
      • More susceptible to rain fade
      • Doesn't work if parked under trees
  • Portable dome
    • Pros
      • Easy to set up
      • Automatic setup
    • Cons
      • Only sees one satellite at a time
      • No DirecTV HD
      • More susceptible to rain fade
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #10

Thanks for the education Adam, Nodine, Pat & Judy and Bob. Will have to think on this for awhile....too much info for this little brain

Looks like I will be buying Dish for the HD channels, if for nothing else. Once you get used to HD it's hard to go back to regular.

Just one more thing...if I do decide to go with the roof mounted one, with the power cord, is there an existing power cord receptacle, along with the coaxial one, up on the roof, or would I have to run one up there (or down from the roof dish) in order to power 'er up? And how hard would that be?

I like to do my own work, if at all possible.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Just one more thing...if I do decide to go with the roof mounted one, with the power cord, is there an existing power cord receptacle, along with the coaxial one, up on the roof, or would I have to run one up there (or down from the roof dish) in order to power 'er up? And how hard would that be?
I would be extremely surprised if there is a power cord up there. If you have a satellite dome pre-wire in your coach, it will likely be just a single coax cable. The dome that I originally had got all of its power and control over the same coax cable that it uses to send down the satellite signal.

The Winegard Trav'ler is different, it has a separate power/control cable. When I installed mine myself, I mounted it "mid-ship" about 2/3 of the way back. This made it easy to drill down through the roof into the hallway wall where my main control panel is mounted. By pulling out the main control panel, it was easy to run the wires down through this wall, then under the bathroom cabinet (the floor of the cabinet came out with a couple screws) and into the basement. From there I could run the wires up front. By mounting the dish near this spot, I needed less than a foot of wires running over the roof to the entry point.

The Trav'ler comes with a cable entry plate that can accommodate four cables: the power/control cable and up to three coax cables (the dish has three or four outputs, depending on the model.) I ran the power cable, and two coax cables -- one up front, and the other terminates in the basement bay where I can run a cable to a neighbor's rig if needed, I may move that to the bedroom in the future if I get another receiver.) In the fourth slot, I ran the cable from an exterior rated magnet switch. I mounted it's magnet to the arm of the dish, and mounted the switch to the roof so the magnet is next to it when the dish is folded. I extended the wires up front, and paralleled them to the wires from the switch on the batwing TV antenna: this way, the dashboard "ant up" light is on whenever the dish is up.

There is also an accessory cable you can get from Winegard that lets you know when the dish is up, and has trigger inputs that will automatically fold the dish: one wire causes an auto stow when it senses voltage, the other when it gets grounded. That cable doesn't need to run to the dish, it just plugs into the back of the controller. I used to that fold the dish if the ignition is turned on. I didn't use its antenna up output: that one only works if the controller remains powered on -- once turned off, it no longer signals antenna up, even if you turn the controller on again. I didn't like that, and went with the magnetic switch.

The install itself is fairly easy. You will need help getting the unit up on the roof, but after that it's a one man job. The hardest part is running the wires, and there's really no way around that. By mounting mine so far back, I did need to get the power/control extension cable.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite