Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #1

New 2002 Signature Owner yea! Sadly Coach cranks over but NOT STARTING...

Hello to my fellow Rv'rs to all you Monoco owners, I could use your help my '02 SigSeries with the ran fine for 90k miles but now she is ranks over but just won't fire up. I'm thinking it's something minor but what I just don't know. Please if any one can help out this Airforce Vet which actually when you account for my first son we are the 3rd and 4th generation U. S. Soldiers... Any how I could sure use some clues as to why this coach cranks o er fine but won't fire up. If anyone's got some help I'm all eyes and ears on my email at JohnDerek@InovDate.com thanks 4 all you here on Irv2.com..

John Derek
John Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome, Thank you for your service. What motor?
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:55 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2

Sorry your first post is about a problem .

I have to ask ; what engine is in your coach ?
Is it the Cummins ISC , 8.3L, with a CAPS ( Cummins Accumulator Pressure System ) injector pump ?

EDIT : I see Bob posted while I was typing , sorry for the duplication.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your service!
No start could be many things...
Did you make any changes recently?
There's a front/rear switch in the engine compartment. Did that get flipped?
Air in the fuel system. Did you change any fuel filters or open a fuel line?
Cheers,
Walter
Old 02-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forums, John! Congrats on a great coach! Great to have another 1998 to 2002 era Signature owner here. Tons of knowledge here.

In 2002, the engine would be the 500hp Cummins ISM. If there is any other information you can provide, that could be helpful. Sounds like it tries to turn over. Make sure the transmission shift pad is in neutral (N).

The other thing is to double check you did not accidentally hit the rear engine start switch in the engine compartment. Check and make sure this is set to front.

All the best!
Josh

PS Here is the original brochure for your coach.

2002 Monaco Signature Brochure: https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/02Signature.pdf
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the IRV2 forum.
I agree with Josh. A 2002 Monaco Signature has a Cummins ISM 500hp engine and an Allison MH4000 transmission. A 2002 coach will have a 2001 production engine so it does not have EGR. What a great combination!
Like the others said first open up the engine access door and make sure the remote start switch is on FRONT.
Next, if it cranks and doesn't fire up then its probably not getting fuel. This could be because the fuel filters are full of water or leaking air. Check these carefully. Lots of discussion on proper method but when i get a coach that will not start because of fuel I change the filters and pre-fill them with CLEAN diesel fuel. Then I cycle the key to on (not start) for 10 seconds and off. Do this at least 10 times. Then I crank the engine and pump the throttle like you used to do with an old car. This usually gets them going.

You should also check the fuel shutoff solenoid. These engines do not rely on an ignition system so to shut it off they turn off the fuel with a solenoid. You'll need to locate it in the fuel system on the side of the engine and make sure its getting power and you feel it clicking when you turn the key on/off.
Hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not starting