Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
New Battteries

I ordered four new 6V batteries. Is there anything I need to do other than replace them one at a time so I don't mix up the cables? I assume I should disconnect the shore power cord too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #2

Take pictures !
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yeas, take pictures prior. Then it is a piece of cake! Chocolate even!
You might consider adding a watering system. I like using it, super easy to add water.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I ordered AGM batteries. The coach came with them and I liked the convenience of not having to check water.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Even better!!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:15 AM   #6

I find it easy to mark the cables to batteries as they are installed. Set new batteries the same way next to coach close by so I transfer the labeling using blue tape.
Before removing use blues tape label each post; 1 thru 8 now go back to the cables attached to each post.
If you lay out your new batteries the same it should work.
Pictures, pictures.
I use this tech when I clean my battery trays yearly.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks, I'll definitely take pictures.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #8
YC1

As suggested, take plenty of pictures. Print a couple and put them in a sheet protector for reference.

Remove all of the batteries and clean the tray with some baking soda and water. Some spray on bed protector or just paint will extend the life of the area. If it is a slide out tray, this is a good time to lube the bearings.

Check your EMS panel inside once they are replaced. You may need to program it a bit differently. Read the manual of course for guidance.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Big difference! The compartment is in surprisingly good condition--probably because its had AGM batteries in it the last 9 years. Two of the batteries were kinda bloated looking. We don't do a lot of boondocking, but it's nice to know we could spend some time off the grid if we chose to.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be careful thinking a bloated or swollen AGM batteries are bad. Remember these are what is called "Valve Regulated" batteries. During charging the hydrogen and oxygen are kept under pressure until they recombine into water. AGM batteries will swell during charging. It takes time for the recombination to take place. Over charging them at too high of voltage can overcome the pressure valve letting out the gases and drying out the battery.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
Be careful thinking a bloated or swollen AGM batteries are bad. Remember these are what is called "Valve Regulated" batteries. During charging the hydrogen and oxygen are kept under pressure until they recombine into water. AGM batteries will swell during charging. It takes time for the recombination to take place. Over charging them at too high of voltage can overcome the pressure valve letting out the gases and drying out the battery.
Thanks Ron, I didn't know that. I replaced the batteries because they weren't holding a charge after 9 years. Truth be told I don't think I look at them very often.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
9 years is well past their lifespan. You might consider adding a de-sulfator to your batteries. Check out this site and their products. They say it can triple the lifespan of new batteries. Battery reconditioner desulfator rejuvenator
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
AGM's ?!?! good deal

Check to make sure they are the same amp-hrs, etc so you can adjust your charging rate etc... to match
Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
AGM's ?!?! good deal

Check to make sure they are the same amp-hrs, etc so you can adjust your charging rate etc... to match
My RC7 remote doesn't have a lot of options--you have two battery types, Gel and Flooded Wet Cell and the capacity jumps from 100 to 250 to 500 to 1000. I used 1000 since the capacity of the new batteries is closer to 1000 than 500.