RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #1

New Bridgestone R280 Tires

I had 6 new Bridgestone Tires installed yesterday. My Coach is a 2001 36'Dynasty which originally came with Goodyear G357 tires in 295/75R 22.3 H. I have 55000 miles on the Coach and they were 10 years old. I had a degree of "Rivering in the two steer Tires, there were no visible cracks or checking anywhere on the tires. They were made in the latter part of 2000 and had most of the tread still there, in fact could have gone another at least 30k miles more were it not for the age. I know, I know! but in the 3years that I have owned it I have had three aborted attempts to purchase New Tires the latest the Nationwide Back order on these R280 series in H range and my size. I wanted the same size to avoid Speedometer recalibration, I did not want Goodyear again, and have had bad experience some years ago with the Michelin (this most probably is not true with the present Michelin) on my Two GMC front drive Motorhomes. I ended up finding the Bridgestone tires at a Dealer in Manley,Iowa. This is a long way to go but my wife and I were heading West so it was kinda on the way near Forest City, IA where Winnebago is located. The Dealer is Tire Experts and the Owner is Steve Reynolds. He had the 6 R280 295/75 22.5 H tires in stock. These are the models recommended by Bridgestone . They have the correct tread pattern with the edge groove. The Tech was excellent a real pro, he used proper mounting method cross tightening Torquing and cleaning and care with the Rims. I used Dyna Beads, although Road Force Balancing would have been thrown in. Nitrogen was included (I don't necessarily agree with the benefits but they were proud of the machine used to extract it).
One curious thing Both Front Tires had a fluid and grey black materiel inside. At least 3/4 of a cup plus the gooey black mass . The liquid looked an sorta smelled like anti freeze. At first it appeared to be a tire sealant of some kind but when equal amounts were found in both tires it was felt to be a Balancing Product perhaps this explained the Rivering and wear patterns on the front tires.I would highly recommend this Dealer.
Robert

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
After you put some miles on these new tires, please let us know how you like them.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Been about 12 yrs but I put Bridgestones on a Southwind I owned. Tires performed very well with absolutely no trouble at all in the years I owned them. My current MH is a 2004 Monaco Cayman with original factory tires still on her (I just purchased the unit about three months ago). I plan on putting new tires on very soon and am seriously considering Bridgestones again. They're made in Japan as far as I know but hey, at least they don't come from China. Anyone else have experience with Bridgestones on their motorhome?
lwc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have Bridgestone R294 255/70R 22.5 load range H on mine. Never had any problems with them. It's time to replace them, even though they don't show any signs of cracking and the tread is still great. I would like to go with Bridgestones again but Price will help me choose.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I just had six Bridgestone R250's, 295x80Rx22.5, load range "H" installed. Date code 3411 (August 21-27, 2011). Guys at GCR Tire said that Bridgestone truck tires are made in a state-of-the-art plant in Tennessee. Mine do say "Made In USA" on the sidewall. So far, so good with all of 600 miles on them.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #6

i just checked my R280s are dated 33-11 and they are made in USA. I felt the smoothness right away, anything else time will tell.
Price was $3250 for 6 out the door, tax included.
Lew
Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same Bridgestones (295-80-22.5) and love them... They're almost a year with about 10,000 on them... excellent wear and ride quality... had the beads installed and very happy with Bridgestones!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Good to hear the reports on Bridgestone tires and even better to see I'm wrong on where the truck tires are made. I had heard years ago that all the Bridgestone's were made in Japan, I see I was misinformed.

I’ll call tomorrow and get a quote on six Bridgestone’s for my motorhome. Hopefully the price will be less than the best I’ve gotten so far… Goodyear for $620 a tire installed (255 - 70R - 22.5).
lwc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #9

Bridgestones

Not the tire expert you seem to be but I have tried to learn about some of the tires for sale. Just dropped coach off (2002 Windsor 40' with 44,500 GCWR) I do know the Bridgestones that are going on it are 195/80R22.5's but they are are no where near the $300 something you are paying...$617 before mounting and balance each? I could not find any other brand that was better than that...goodyear was in the $7's. Must be more expensive in Vegas or it's royal shaft?
What is this "edge groove" and what does it do? How do you know what the correct thread pattern is...experince? Thanks for posting...Tom and Donna
bajagirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

forgot something

44,500 gross weight of which 10,000 for towing would mean 34,000 gross on tires, right? what pressure do you guys run? Tire guy said he would put 120 in front and 110 in rear...does that sound about right? Thanks, Tom
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajagirl1 View Post
Not the tire expert you seem to be but I have tried to learn about some of the tires for sale. Just dropped coach off (2002 Windsor 40' with 44,500 GCWR) I do know the Bridgestones that are going on it are 195/80R22.5's but they are are no where near the $300 something you are paying...$617 before mounting and balance each? I could not find any other brand that was better than that...goodyear was in the $7's. Must be more expensive in Vegas or it's royal shaft?
What is this "edge groove" and what does it do? How do you know what the correct thread pattern is...experince? Thanks for posting...Tom and Donna
Tom,

Your prices sound about right. Mine cost $3,952 for six, all-in, out-the-door. There was a recent price increase by Bridgestone which I dodged by paying in advance of the date of increase and then having the tires installed at my convenience. I priced Michelin which would have been $4,626, all-in.

Size really matters in tires and a 295x80R is going to be more than a 275x70R. And when talking prices, people may or may not include ancillary costs that can add significantly to the price.

As for pressures, I'm using 95 PSI all around. That gives me over 500 lbs of cushion per tire on the fronts and 800 lbs per tire on the rears. I weighed all four corners of the coach and am using the heaviest end of the axle to determine the appropriate tire pressure.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #12

Hi, according to a couple of dealers I spoke with and a Bridgestone Customer Service Rep, there is what they call a "Defense Groove" at the edge of the Tread that is supposed to support the Tread and an "Equalizer Rib" to stop wavy wear and stabilize the tread. The people I spoke with mentioned this as well. I don't know if it is just hype or an actual advantage. The GY G357 that were installed by Monaco had the same defense groove.Sounded good to me and seemed to make sense. Be advised if you cannot find the correct size in the R280, in my case 295/R75 22. it really does not work for you.
My Dynasty has a GVWR of 33,000 lbs and a GCWR of 43,000 I weighed it filled water,gas and all belongings at 11,280 F and 19,920 R total 31200, according to my calculations 100lbs per tire is correct with 10% extra.
My price I paid included the Sales tax and any other charges. this was found at the Bridgestone Commercial Tire Site.
Robert
Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #13

Tires

Well maybe I'll have to find that paperwork in the coach about the tire pressure. Sounds like I was going to but in about 20 LBS too much.
Thank you all for also explaining to me about the groove.
Tom
Old 10-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #14

Hi, To find the Pressure Tables I believe you have to go to the Tire Manufacturer web site. Although there may be one in the Coach Handbook. You also must weigh your coach at a scale. I was passing by an empty Iowa State scale and inquired. The Troopers said "no problem" and I passed over the scales for the front and rear weight. Some say it is more accurate to get a 4 corner weight to determine side to side differences as well.
Robert

Tags
tires